DIY Tower Speakers - Require Tips

great looking set of speakers there, :clapping:

a detailed post regarding crossovers and enclosure details would be helpful for newbies like myself.

Regards
Harsha

congrats on your achievement and especially your patience.:clapping: They look very good and also sure they sound great aswell.

I got mine assembled almost 10 years ago.

I had then used peerless for woofer, bolton for mid-range and philips for tweeters. They sound great and are now powered both with my Yamaha AVR and vintage Dynaco Amp.

Last edited:
Crossover details

crossoverp.jpg

I could not find the box details prepared through software. I will dig out from my laptop and share the same.

Certain things to take care during box build

Wood stain should be applied only with some rag. I used some old vest banian cloth.

PU for wood protection, needs to be applied by brush and not roller.

I had a small piece of MDF, and tested the finish at every stage in that before applying in the main enclosure. This will help us in learning how to apply each item and also to check if it gives the desired result.

ukjeyaraj,

congratilations !! Am sure it must be very satisfying to start something and complete it. That itself is music to the ears ( and to the spirit ).

happy listening..

regards,
mpw

Finally I completed my DIY floor stander ...

i have learned many things and few are

1) Speakers have something called TS parameters
2) Cross over should not be bought, but need to designed and made
3) Box dimensions need to be meticulously calculated
4) Different type of capacitors used
5) Different type of inductors
6) Terminologies like attentuator, L-Pad
7) Many components are not available in Indiae
8) How to finish MDF like wood

...Drivers used are Peerless India Drivers SR10DT (1) S16NI (2)

...Software used are x-over pro and boxpro. (The version I got ran only in windows XP. I had to create a VM in my windows 7 laptop just for using this software. It was worth it.)....

Hi Jeyaraj,

The above points will need elucidation which can best be provided by you. Most of us are looking forward to it

Regards.

Congrats on the Beautiful build.
Could you share more images of the construction phase, like ,the innards of the cabinet, if any bracing used...

any particular reasons why you chose to use a 3 way while using identical drivers instead of 2way or 2.5way.

That 6 inch driver has Fs of 39hz. IMHO using it only for midrange duty (above 400Hz) is a bit inefficient.

I would recommend a 2.5 setup. You can convert this into a crude 2.5 way by removing C2 and L2 from the bandpass filter (replace them with a wire link).

Last edited:
Infact 2.5 way or 2 way setup was suggested by few others too. Frankly speaking I did not understand how to make the 2.5 x-over.

I will try to alter the crossover as suggested by @t.antony and see the result.

I will replace C2 with a simple wire. However is it necessary to replace L2 with wire or just disconnecting L2 will be sufficient?

Nice work and congratulations. From where you manage to get the components to build the crossovers?

Inductors ordered from parts-express but carried by a friend from US. Got the capacitors and resistors locally at Apex - Tara temple lane, Lamington road, Mumbai. I heard capacitors are available in Bangalore and Chennai too. A reseller in Delhi told he can arrange for components both imported and local made. However, when I checked with one of our forum member, I came to know that price quoted was on very high side.

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back