DIY TT

Sumanta

Has anybody tried making/assembling a TT.
Making - I have not, yet.
Assembling - Tried from parts of old TTs. It worked very well. I already had made two tone arms (easy to make), unipivot (thanks to Joshua) and magnetically unipivot one (Schroeder type). And I already have another design in my mind which will work like Schroeder but for less complications.

So, making a TT seems to be a doable thing.

Goal now - Of course making one. From scratch. Preferably a belt driven one. I think it is easy to make a belt driven one than a Direct Drive one.
Road blocks - Don't know/remember things about motors. This is where I need help.

Location - I am in Baroda now and I know Sadik will help me out. We already are in touch. I am yet to meet him (fault is mine). I am depending on Sadik a lot actually, you know I am lazy, right? He knows for sure :).

Help from FMs -
1) Guide me to a motor that I can buy easily in India. It has to be less vibrating (subjective statement but I think you can understand what I am trying to get out of it). I should be able to know it's actual RPM. I want it to be AC driven as well and with enormous torque to rotate a 3.5 kg table of 350mm dia.

Time - have not thought about, but definitely not within 2018. March 2019 will be great!

Holystic goal - Others join in, make their own.

Was wondering about this a few months ago, Added this thread to the watch list, definitely doable but the time constraints won't work out in my favor.
Best wishes!

Its surely doable. There are 2 ways to go about it.

Easier route: Buy motor from ebay and with speed controller. But then you will have constraints on platter weight, how much torque motor it is.

Difficult route: Selecting motor (Servo or Hybrid), making driver is little bit time consuming. But you can always get ready drivers to start with.
https://robu.in/product-category/servo-motors-and-accessories/

And then Good PSU is equally important.

I am having Maxon servo motor, I had DIY TT in mind but not able to get time out of other diy activities.

One more thing, you will need speed gun or stroboscope to measure speed.

Regards,
Nishant

TT is not mine subject of interest, but if you need some help related to machinery job work or engineering advise or drawings, i am there for sure.

TT is not mine subject of interest, but if you need some help related to machinery job work or engineering advise or drawings, i am there for sure.
I need you exactly there! I will have my dimensions and every other requirements, for you!
As you know all my staff are in Kolkata now, so it is a good time to start everything from scratch, speakers, amplifier(s), active cross overs, may be cables too.

Its surely doable. There are 2 ways to go about it.

Easier route: Buy motor from ebay and with speed controller. But then you will have constraints on platter weight, how much torque motor it is.

Difficult route: Selecting motor (Servo or Hybrid), making driver is little bit time consuming. But you can always get ready drivers to start with.

And then Good PSU is equally important.

I am having Maxon servo motor, I had DIY TT in mind but not able to get time out of other diy activities.

One more thing, you will need speed gun or stroboscope to measure speed.

Regards,
Nishant
I am too bad in electronics. I could not understand much about PSU and the type of motors as well. My limit of knowledge of course.
Will talk to you someday later when I come back to a normal life and space. Will start from there.

Thanks for this great start and support.

If you know, guide me to a knowledge source about AC motor.

I am too bad in electronics. I could not understand much about PSU and the type of motors as well. My limit of knowledge of course.
Will talk to you someday later when I come back to a normal life and space. Will start from there.

Thanks for this great start and support.

If you know, guide me to a knowledge source about AC motor.

I will recommend to use DC motor. AC servo motor will require little complex control system.

I will find suitable study material and PM you.

Regards

Sumanta

Why don't you buy an old working turntable and re-plinth it and repair the electronics and install your tonearm ?

Regards

I have that kind of setup only without the re-plinth part.
I might end up doing similar thing unless I can master motor requirement.

Reason of going full DIY, part assembling was simple...getting joy of DIY.

These is my halfway done project. See pics
Phase 1 - built plinth. Fixed used motor below platter. Used platter of old TT. Now its rotating :)
phase 2 - to add wooden platter
Phase 3 - TBD add high precision motor. Even hard disk can be used with fixed rpm setting if platter is not super heavy.
Phase 4 - TBD design and build own tone arm. Many options here but thinking to use skf ceramic angular contact bearing for base bearing. These hav all properties of ideal toan arm bearings. Else diy bearing option.
For vertical pivot DIY approach.

Spildle - used fuel onjector from auto parts.

I need help on bearing part from FM mechanical engineers. Went few shops buy person askin item number.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-12-10-18-18-59~3.png
    Screenshot_2018-12-10-18-18-59~3.png
    661.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_2018-12-10-18-19-07~3.png
    Screenshot_2018-12-10-18-19-07~3.png
    832.2 KB · Views: 27
Miniature bearings aren't easily available in India. Any specific reason for using angular contact bearing?

Has anybody tried making/assembling a TT.
Making - I have not, yet.
Assembling - Tried from parts of old TTs. It worked very well. I already had made two tone arms (easy to make), unipivot (thanks to Joshua) and magnetically unipivot one (Schroeder type). And I already have another design in my mind which will work like Schroeder but for less complications.

So, making a TT seems to be a doable thing.

Goal now - Of course making one. From scratch. Preferably a belt driven one. I think it is easy to make a belt driven one than a Direct Drive one.
Road blocks - Don't know/remember things about motors. This is where I need help.

Location - I am in Baroda now and I know Sadik will help me out. We already are in touch. I am yet to meet him (fault is mine). I am depending on Sadik a lot actually, you know I am lazy, right? He knows for sure :).

Help from FMs -
1) Guide me to a motor that I can buy easily in India. It has to be less vibrating (subjective statement but I think you can understand what I am trying to get out of it). I should be able to know it's actual RPM. I want it to be AC driven as well and with enormous torque to rotate a 3.5 kg table of 350mm dia.

Time - have not thought about, but definitely not within 2018. March 2019 will be great!

Holystic goal - Others join in, make their own.

Following this thread with great interest. A belt is the easiest to design as motor vibrations can be best isolated via this and hence you may have more options around the motor. Can i also suggest looking at a Rim drive ? speed control of the AC motor will need to be managed via selection of the right diameter of the Idler wheel.

I have often wondered if the motor in a an electric drill would be good enough ? you also get the stock AC power supply along with it

My guess is that the bearing will be more difficult to get fabricated as it really needs to be within a tight tolerance limit.

Following this thread with great interest. A belt is the easiest to design as motor vibrations can be best isolated via this and hence you may have more options around the motor. Can i also suggest looking at a Rim drive ? speed control of the AC motor will need to be managed via selection of the right diameter of the Idler wheel.

I have often wondered if the motor in a an electric drill would be good enough ? you also get the stock AC power supply along with it

My guess is that the bearing will be more difficult to get fabricated as it really needs to be within a tight tolerance limit.
I got too occupied with bad to worse situations then towards a little better one...but in short busy in baking the bread and looking for butter.

I have no clue what a Rim drive is. Will search for the same. Drill motor will be too vibrating and noisy in my understanding.

I am at present collecting these communications for the future. I mean this is a collection for anyone like me....

I have no clue what a Rim drive is. Will search for the same. Drill motor will be too vibrating and noisy in my understanding.

am sure a small rubber wheel instead of metal on metal could work ...

maxresdefault.jpg

It is very easy to make a turntable that can play a record. This could be an easy school project. At the same time it is extremely difficult to get it to perfect speed & uniformity across various loads or arm positions. It depends on what you want to achieve.

Regards,
Sharad Medhavi

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back