do 7.1 AVR perform better than 5.1 AVR in 5.1 mode?

diplomat

Now a days we get mostly 7.1 AVR in market and the sales person always claim that they perform better than 5.1 AVR even in 5.1 mode i.e. for data in simple format DD/DTS, because they pump extra powers allocated for the left over two channels to others in this mode thus increasing output per channel.
Do the ratings per channel really change on the basis of data input? I mean in stereo mode - 2 channels, or in 5.1 mode for 5 channels is it that the amp puts up its enitre rated power to driven channels only having data??
Kindly share ur exp or views in this regard as I am in the process of upgrading my AVR from Marantz SR301 to either 3001 or 4001 soon.

Now a days we get mostly 7.1 AVR in market and the sales person always claim that they perform better than 5.1 AVR even in 5.1 mode i.e. for data in simple format DD/DTS, because they pump extra powers allocated for the left over two channels to others in this mode thus increasing output per channel.
Do the ratings per channel really change on the basis of data input? I mean in stereo mode - 2 channels, or in 5.1 mode for 5 channels is it that the amp puts up its enitre rated power to driven channels only having data??
Kindly share ur exp or views in this regard as I am in the process of upgrading my AVR from Marantz SR301 to either 3001 or 4001 soon.

Ok. The sales person might not know what actually he is talking about, but this does make some sense after all. Basically this would mean that the extra two channel (surround back) can be utilized to bi-amp your front main speakers thus thereby pumping more power and also bypassing the crossover network. But this would meant that you front speaker must be bi-amp capable.

I have a Onkyo TX SR876 receiver and frankly I cannot say that there is a big difference between 5.1 and 7.1.

Moreover, to appreciate 7.1 you need a blu ray (i don't know if Dvds are encoded in 7.1)

Even though, i rarely see a movie in full throttle with my family because you have the whole house shaking when you see an action movie so you spend most of the time lowering the sound volume.

Of course, you can impress your girlfriend with a big bang of a sound but it is more likely that you will be giving her an headache.

spend the extra buck on a good blu-ray player and a receiver that decodes true Hd sound.

hey I always thought that bi-amping the speakers is to use the power of one amp as the input to the second amp and amplifying from there ???? Correct me on this

hey I always thought that bi-amping the speakers is to use the power of one amp as the input to the second amp and amplifying from there ???? Correct me on this
No way... PL check the forum properly, its the twin cables running to the speaker from separate amps for HF and LF provided the speaker unit has that facility. Experts in the forum will help you in this regard in much better way.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back