Do any AVR's pass HDMI signal when off?

matoind

I intend to connect the Tata Sky set top box to AVR receiver. I want to know whether there are any receivers that pass the HDMI signal so that I can save on Electricity when not using the system?

Except the entry level ones, all avrs support hdmi passthrough in standby mode. I have Denon 1612 and it supports passthrough of last hdmi input. Some avrs can switch the hdmi inputs in standby mode.

s most of denon xx12 ,xx13,yamaha x73 series avrRs having passhrough technology.
but u will get very low vol of sound through passthrough.

Mine is Denon 2010 model and it passes hdmi signal.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Tapatalk 2

When HDMI pass through enabled AVR consume 30-40 watts in standby mode.
I connected Tatasky directly to TV and coax out to avr so I need not to keep AVR on when crappy serials are ON.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
When HDMI pass through enabled AVR consume 30-40 watts in standby mode.
I connected Tatasky directly to TV and coax out to avr so I need not to keep AVR on when crappy serials are ON.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk 2

Not sure which receiver you are having/ referring. Yamaha AVR draws 2 watts in standby mode while passing through HDMI.

For satellite tv, it doesn't make any sense to connect the hdmi to the receiver since for most satellite stbs, hdmi means only stereo audio. For Dolby Digital, one has to connect via coax/optical to the receiver anyway. So I simply connect the STB's HDMI out directly to the TV and use a coaxial connection to the receiver.

Yamaha A810, HDMI signal pass through works when AVR is switched off.
Have seen some Pioneer AVRs that dont, cant recollect the model no ,,1021 or 1122 .

Not sure which receiver you are having/ referring. Yamaha AVR draws 2 watts in standby mode while passing through HDMI.

I am yet to buy a receiver. This feature will save power. I think Yamaha has this feature.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Have seen some Pioneer AVRs that dont, cant recollect the model no ,,1021 or 1122 .

The Pioneer VSX-1122-K has the option for HDMI to pass through in Stand By mode. You need to enable this in the setup and also specify which HDMI Input you wish to use in Stand By mode. I have routed by Videocon HD box via the receiver. When the set top box is turned on for TV viewing, the HDMI lamp glows on the receiver to indicate a HDMI signal. The receiver stays off.

A majority of budget receivers don't do this though.

My Denon 1911 does HDMI passthrough in Standby mode only and not during power off state and as per manual it consumes 0.1 watt only.

However there is a better way to connect STB, TV and AVR.

What I have done is connected the Dish HD STB via HDMI to my Panasonic TV's HDMI 1 and the AVR is connected to TV's HDMI 2. When I want to watch normal TV, I switch to HDMI 1 on TV and keep AVR completely off. However when I need to get AVR effect I simply turn on AVR and use the Audio Return Channel feature to have the audio carried back from TV to AVR via the same HDMI cable and keep the Denon AVR settings to input TV which essentially takes the audio from ARC.

To utilize the 5.1 audio of some channels, I have another optical connection from STB to AVR which I try not to use much because these channels make the sound too much colored with unnecessary overpowering bass.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back