Do box speaker have artificial bass?

hi all.... just a question ... sub woofers go down to 20Hz and even lower.
these sounds give a great feel to the movies, without which we miss the thrill.

When we say that speakers should reproduce the recorded sound as it is .....otherwise they are bad !!
Is this conclusion applicable to subwoofers?
Do the recording studios have such instruments that produce such a deep bass?
And do we expect the subwoofers to faithfully reproduce that bass without any additional boost?

With my little experience ....my understanding is as below.
Stereo speakers are bad if they add their own boost (color).
But subwoofers are good if they do the same thing .....
Any body would agree with me ???

Though this answers my question partially, why do people in general get a kick when they hear an extra octave bass though its not there in the original score.

I'm not sure if any speaker can reproduce something that isn't there in the recording. Most likely you're feeling that it's an extra octave (below) because the room might be adding a boost to bass freqs (amplitude, not freq), typically 6 dB boost centered around 50Hz in concrete homes.

So i am at loss to know which one is correct? The artificial 40Hz which gives us a good feeling as it has a extra lower harmonic content or the accuracy of the OB speaker which plays as it is without the artificial harmonic content (read no boom)?

In my limited experience, i recently tried to hear a ported speaker (Taga Platinum One) and a sealed speaker (Taga Platinum S90 SL) in a near field listening (2 ft away from the speaker, on my desktop) back to back for some film songs..

I liked the bass from sealed speaker more.. The bass is less pronounced.. (The placement was against the wall in both cases)..

Given to all the response, it will be interesting to do a frequency measurement of my OB speakers by sending a single frequency sine wave and measure them at 1 meter and also NF at the dustcap to remove the affect of the room. This would give me an indication of how much the room contributes to the Freq/ amplitude.

Will do this on the weekend and post results.

Will do this on the weekend and post results.

You could try this with a pair of dynamic driver boxed speakers too and see if X frequency sent to the speakers produces X - one octave frequency (other than the first harmonic freq), and at what amplitude with respect to the primary freq.

You could try this with a pair of dynamic driver boxed speakers too and see if X frequency sent to the speakers produces X - one octave frequency (other than the first harmonic freq), and at what amplitude with respect to the primary freq.

Probably yes, my current TL FS speakers can be used for this exercise. Will do this post 10 pm to minimise ambient noise.

If you listen to a tabla they seldom go below 60Hz during a live listening without speakers. If the same is reproduced in a box speaker they sound to have some extra low end though it may sound very very nice and appealing.

I am not sure of the line in Bold. the fundamental tone of a tabla may be 60Hz but as we all know every sound wave has subharmonics and Overtones. hence the 60Hz will have a 30Hz and a 15 Hz as well as a 120Hz and a lot more and the combination wave of all of those frequencies is very unique to that tabla's 60Hz fundamental sound.( else a tablas 60Hz may sound the same as a Mridungams 60Hz which will also have the same harmonic frequencies but different amplitudes )
The speaker which can ideally reproduce the 30 as well as move air for the 15 is what will give that true realism of being there. I am not sure of how to get a 15 Hz or a 20 Hz without a Box ?

Hari, I am sure your are loving the single driver OB sound and have not yet ventured into 2 way OB setup with dedicated bass drivers.

There are numerous options for OB bass. I presume the moment you start delving into it, your perceptions (and your brother’s) will change.

H frame, U frame, PPSL or simple dual driver OB are few of popular ways to OB bass nirvana. However great sized room is one Pre-requisite.

All the converts to OB I know, have had envious systems both ported/sealed and TL and are die hard stereophile and now they love their OB setups....
I am convinced with the bass of my current OB and do not need anything extra. The bass, if there in the recording is accurately reproduced by these speakers and never felt the requirement for a sub woofer or a large OB bass only speaker. The main reason i don't venture into sub woofer is because it will be a nightmare to get the correct position in my room and even a bigger nightmare to sync it with my OB with no phase control. Moreover the living room is shared by other members of the family and i do not want to hijack their space.

I am not sure of the line in Bold. the fundamental tone of a tabla may be 60Hz but as we all know every sound wave has subharmonics and Overtones. hence the 60Hz will have a 30Hz and a 15 Hz as well as a 120Hz and a lot more and the combination wave of all of those frequencies is very unique to that tabla's 60Hz fundamental sound.( else a tablas 60Hz may sound the same as a Mridungams 60Hz which will also have the same harmonic frequencies but different amplitudes )
The speaker which can ideally reproduce the 30 as well as move air for the 15 is what will give that true realism of being there. I am not sure of how to get a 15 Hz or a 20 Hz without a Box ?
The fundamental and harmonics will be there in both the live (without amplifier) and recorded (with amplifier) sound. Its been observed that harmonics are around -10dB in amplitude compared to the fundamental and the sustain and decay is more accurate in the live sound. In amplified music, the speakers are the major culprit in rendering these mainly because of their inherent design. The harmonic sustain and decay define the timber of the setup and usually gets messed up in the speakers if they are not designed properly. Its not only about having a response till 15Hz or below but how well the timber of the instrument is been delivered with proper wave envelop.

The fundamental and harmonics will be there in both the live (without amplifier) and recorded (with amplifier) sound. Its been observed that harmonics are around -10dB in amplitude compared to the fundamental and the sustain and decay is more accurate in the live sound. In amplified music, the speakers are the major culprit in rendering these mainly because of their inherent design. The harmonic sustain and decay define the timber of the setup and usually gets messed up in the speakers if they are not designed properly. Its not only about having a response till 15Hz or below but how well the timber of the instrument is been delivered with proper wave envelop.

I agree and thats why recorded/played back sound will never sound as good as live. the amplitude of harmonics will be different for each instrument ,they do need to be reproduced for tonal accuracy to the original.

Is it fair comparing a tabla being played in an average living room to a tabla being played in a recording studio? I don't think so. I play tabla myself and i have also heard tabla in a dead studio room. The one in recording room does not sound as good as the one in a typical room. So if the recording engineer is controlling the sound of an instrument to begin with, what is the point of comparing it to a live room? And if you compare it to say an auditorium, isnt the mic picking up all kinds of room reverberation of a different kind than a typical living room?

Recorded music is not the true version of the track. It is what the sound engineer intended us to hear. So if a speaker further tweaks it, to make it more enjoyable, then I find no harm in that. No wonder all speakers sound different to each other. Some listen to analyze, I listen to enjoy :)

Recorded music is not the true version of the track. It is what the sound engineer intended us to hear. So if a speaker further tweaks it, to make it more enjoyable, then I find no harm in that. No wonder all speakers sound different to each other. Some listen to analyze, I listen to enjoy :)
So that means that some colouration in sound is ok and acceptable. There is no point in trying to reproduce the original may it be amplifiers, speakers and interconnects.

So that means that some colouration in sound is ok and acceptable

When we talk about accuracy and non coloration, we need to be in an ideal situation like a anechoic chamber and compare various speaker designs.
There is no point in talking about sound colouration otherwise.
One experiment in real life is to take the speakers to the terrace or an open area and run a comparison between different designs

After some experiments in active tuning using mics and RTA software, I have noted that after tuning to a flat frequency response, the music sounds lifeless. This is the closest one can get to actual reproduction of what is there in the source.
Beyond the flat frequency tuning, you need to employ house curves that one likes to suit ones listening taste.

After some experiments in active tuning using mics and RTA software, I have noted that after tuning to a flat frequency response, the music sounds lifeless. .
I am not sure if the flat frequency response sounding lifeless is due to RTA software in your case.

But IME, the flat frequency response gave me more realism, live like performance, more holographic 3D sound stage, more organic mids and highs and more energy to the music. So there must be something else other than just the FR curve.

I am not sure if the flat frequency response sounding lifeless is due to RTA software in your case.

But IME, the flat frequency response gave me more realism, live like performance, more holographic 3D sound stage, more organic mids and highs and more energy to the music. So there must be something else other than just the FR curve.
No sir, it is not due to the software.
Anyhow I have completely moved on to tuning by listening nowadays and do not engage in kind of eq and prefer as much of acoustic correction as possible.

Back