Do i need a POWER AMP ?

Agree on lossless vs mp3. To my ears 320 kbps mp3 sounds the same as FLAC.
Guess I'm old :)
Cheers,
Raghu

Am not just old but an old fool. In spite of not being able to differentiate, I have subscribed to Tidal !!!! (Sorry for the OT)

I have Polk RtiA5 as FS a POLK DSW 600 Sub and 4 sourround speakers its a Atmos setup. While watching movies it sounds good and crisp. Recently i have started to enjoy High Quality music wav and flac files in 2.1 setup and i really enjoy them. My AVR is RXV-581 and while listening to HD Audio music i can feel that the FS needs some more power and it would sound good if it gets that extra power. I am looking for a Power amp which will drive the FS.

POLK RtiA5 FS Specifications from it's website.
  • Total Frequency Response30 Hz - 27,000 Hz
  • Nominal Impedance - 8 ohms
  • Sensitivity (1 watt @ 1 meter) - 90 dB
  • Lower and Upper 3dB Limits40 Hz - 26,000 Hz
EXTERNAL AMPLIFIER
  • Recommended Amplifier Power Per Channel 20 watts - 250 watts
Yamaha RX-V 581 Specifications from it's website.
  • --- 80 W per channel (6 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.09 % THD, 2 ch driven)
  • --- 115 W per channel (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.9 % THD, 1 ch driven)
  • --- 145 W per channel (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 10% THD, 1ch driven)
Will a Power Amplifier enhance the music and give me a better music experience or it won't or make just less difference ?
If yes then Please suggest me the specific model.
It most definitely will! I recently bought a Parasound A21 from a FM on this forum, and within a few days of listening, I think it has opened up a whole new world! But, it's an expensive road to take.

Good that you found an in-house solution to your conundrum.

Well, it's a little hard to get "punch" when you both set your mains to small and mute the sub;)

I suspect OP likes the "Direct" mode because it doesn't flatten the response he is used to hearing in-room. Also possible that YPAO plain sucks:)

Impossible to confirm without measurements, though.

Well, it's a little hard to get "punch" when you both set your mains to small and mute the sub;)

I suspect OP likes the "Direct" mode because it doesn't flatten the response he is used to hearing in-room. Also possible that YPAO plain sucks:)

Impossible to confirm without measurements, though.
+1 to YPAO sucking. I threw it away after it was suggesting some very wierd settings. I am very poor when it comes to an AVR anyways.

Your experiences are your own, of course.

I disagree with the notion that you can't have a good sounding setup for both HT and music, especially for the factors you describe. Of course, I've no way of demonstrating that to you until my room is complete;)
I pray that Mark doesn't go insane before you complete your room.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back