Do i need to buy a external DAC if i already got a integrated amp + BS speaker ?

DesiAudiophile

Hello members, newbie here and wanna experience high quality music. I have like 100 GB's of Loseless FLAC music in my laptop. I have found a decent audiophile combo of Boston Acoustics A26 and Norge 2060 integrated amplifier. I've shortlisted these 2 components and the source will be from the VLC media player of my laptop. Now my question is since, Do i need an DAC like Fiio e10k to convert the digital signals into analog and then pass to the amp or just use the amp and speaker ? Please I'm a newbie to this audiophile world and need you help in setting up a starter hifi system

Thank You
DesiAudiophile

In short the answer is yes. Your Laptop's motherboard will convert the digital music files to analogue and you take this analogue form to your amplifier, the utility of a DAC is the same.
The DAC however will do almost always (99.99%) a better and purer job at this conversion, as a result music will be more organic with more details and better, more accurate frequency response. In a properly setup (properly does not always mean expensive though) stereo chain a decent DAC can make an absolute world of difference. You will get find more and more improvements with your DAC in the chain as the days go by, source takes some time to grow on you.

Curiously just like speakers and amplifiers DACs can start at a modest 5K and go up to many hundreds of thousands. I have found Fiio products to be of great value for money and used the E07K Andes for over an year as my DAC to begin my audio journey. There are however, plenty of options suiting all budget levels, do your research here in the forum and the internet properly and go for the one you feel best suits your needs.

In short the answer is yes. Your Laptop's motherboard will convert the digital music files to analogue and you take this analogue form to your amplifier, the utility of a DAC is the same.
The DAC however will do almost always (99.99%) a better and purer job at this conversion, as a result music will be more organic with more details and better, more accurate frequency response. In a properly setup (properly does not always mean expensive though) stereo chain a decent DAC can make an absolute world of difference. You will get find more and more improvements with your DAC in the chain as the days go by, source takes some time to grow on you.

Curiously just like speakers and amplifiers DACs can start at a modest 5K and go up to many hundreds of thousands. I have found Fiio products to be of great value for money and used the E07K Andes for over an year as my DAC to begin my audio journey. There are however, plenty of options suiting all budget levels, do your research here in the forum and the internet properly and go for the one you feel best suits your needs.

Thank you sir, So my chain goes like this. Laptop source USB > USB DAC Fiio e10k > norge 2060 > Boston Acoustics a26. Do i need any more component(s)? Is this chain okay for a decent audiophile output ?

Also i can only buy either a DAC or An integrated amplifier. a26 BS speakers is a definite buy. So which component shall i buy with the speakers, a DAC or an integrated amplifier ?

Regards
DA

Also i can only buy either a DAC or An integrated amplifier. a26 BS speakers is a definite buy. So which component shall i buy with the speakers, a DAC or an integrated amplifier ?

You need both. However, while you ****might**** get by with the DAC on your laptop you just cannot without the int. amp.

Curious why the compulsion to buy with the speakers ? You could buy it from anywhere you imagine and it would still work just as well

ciao
gr

@sound cycle @keith correa

Gentlemen ! Thanks for your advice and I've researched at some online articles too.. DAC is getting mature these days with inbuilt-DAC are much more advancing nowadays. Now i get that DAC is only optional. So as per your advices I'll buy a bookshelf speakers with an integrated amplifier. So for the setup i think Boston Acoustics A26 and Norge 2060 combo comes to my mind. I need your opinion on this setup or is there anything else.

I listen to rock, hip-hop, R&B ,tamil musics (tamil musics comes with mix of folk, synthesizers and beats etc..)

Can this Boston Acoustics A26 suit my genre tastes ? Can i improve my room acoustics ? In the attachment i designed my room in paint so any corrections to be made please tell me ;)

SsuIxD.png

I would suggest to use Foober instead of VLC as a audio player on laptop

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Awesome,Thank You.I can see the sound difference in Foobar2000. I uninstalled iTunes ;D .Also i have Dolby Home theater V4 as sound enhancer, is it okay if i use sound enhancer software. They have these so many options like Intelligent Equalizer,Dialogue enhancer etc.

Last edited:
According to my taste I would prefer sound without any alterations to it, hence I don't use any Equaliser or tone controls in audio system. I would say you try out and see what pleases to your ears.

Regards

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Does the Norge have a usb input? How are you going to connect it, 3.5mm jack? If it's not going to be a USB or another digital out from laptop, then Yes, you ought to have a dac which will take usb input from computer and give give out RCA to amplifier.

Try out dacs by borrowing from members in your city. That should give you a good idea of your preferences.

MaSh

I'd suggest you contact Siva of acoustic portrait. When I last spoke to him he was working on a Raspberry pi based streamer +dac. An external dac makes a very big difference so going for it is worth it. Best part of streaming is it avoids USB and hence your computer need not be even close to the music system and only better if not the same quality as an USB ( which is very cable/processor dependent)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does the Norge have a usb input? How are you going to connect it, 3.5mm jack? If it's not going to be a USB or another digital out from laptop, then Yes, you ought to have a dac which will take usb input from computer and give give out RCA to amplifier.

Try out dacs by borrowing from members in your city. That should give you a good idea of your preferences.

MaSh

No Norge 2060 does not have a USB input. I just saw this setup and was mesmerized by it, here is the link Boston Acoustics a26 + Norge 2060 PC setup

Just see this video and tell me if hes using an external DAC or is his setup really good for a beginner audiophile ?

I'd suggest you contact Siva of acoustic portrait. When I last spoke to him he was working on a Raspberry pi based streamer +dac. An external dac makes a very big difference so going for it is worth it. Best part of streaming is it avoids USB and hence your computer need not be even close to the music system and only better if not the same quality as an USB ( which is very cable/processor dependent)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello, Also i have double thoughts about whether to go for a sound system or not. Yesterday spent more than a hour researching about room acoustics and found that my room is not good for providing minimum interference. Rooms are not perfect rectangle in dimensions, also windows is also a problem. However i also saw a headphone audiophile setup like ATH-M50X + Fiio e10k DAC for my laptop music. I'm thinking of this path because i think my room acoustics is bad or not good for an hifi system

Referring to the video and also the diagram you posted, distance between the speakers should be more, say around 6 feet or more, otherwise soundstage will not be as prominent as it could be.
Norge 2060 is a decent amp to start with, a DAC should be in your consideration given your source mainly is FLAC files. You can look at used gear, or even importing used gear from UK or US.

Hello, Also i have double thoughts about whether to go for a sound system or not. Yesterday spent more than a hour researching about room acoustics and found that my room is not good for providing minimum interference. Rooms are not perfect rectangle in dimensions, also windows is also a problem. However i also saw a headphone audiophile setup like ATH-M50X + Fiio e10k DAC for my laptop music. I'm thinking of this path because i think my room acoustics is bad or not good for an hifi system

Headphones are a good option and for the price give a fantastic sound especially if coupled with an amp. is the Oppo headphone and amp available in india ? suppose to be great.

If you are going for headphones, what i was advised was to go for planar...of course also depends on the budget you have planned

No Norge 2060 does not have a USB input. I just saw this setup and was mesmerized by it, here is the link Boston Acoustics a26 + Norge 2060 PC setup

Just see this video and tell me if hes using an external DAC or is his setup really good for a beginner audiophile ?

In that case, I would strongly recommend getting a usb to analog Dac to link your computer with the amplifier. Consider the two dacs below which should in mh opinion give you a taste of things and more importantly a direction in which you should head to without burning a hole in your pocket. Neither of these will be your final dacs, a good starting point nevertheless.

Signstek HIFI USB to Coaxial S/PDIF Converter Decoder Convert Digital to Analogue Signal Mini USB DAC PCM 2704 Chipset with USB Cable:Amazon:Computers & Accessories

FiiO D03K Optical to Stereo Audio Converter:Amazon:Electronics

The latter is a coaxial/optical to analog only, while former accepts USB too.

MaSh

Here is my suggestion. Buy a usb dac such as dragonfly ( approx 10k) to go with your amp and speakers. Forget about room acoustics for a moment. See how it sounds. Move your furniture here or add a carpet there and work it out. Learn to appreciate music with whatever you have. That craving for the perfect system, that perfect room, that perfect sound defines an audiophile, I agree. But, don't deny yourself the opportunity to listen to music of your choice,in the pursuit of that perfection. As you grow older, you will have plenty of opportunities to buy higher end stuff to quench your desire. Make a start. There are stalwarts in this group to help you. All the very best.
Cheers!

Here is my suggestion. Buy a usb dac such as dragonfly ( approx 10k) to go with your amp and speakers. Forget about room acoustics for a moment. See how it sounds. Move your furniture here or add a carpet there and work it out. Learn to appreciate music with whatever you have. That craving for the perfect system, that perfect room, that perfect sound defines an audiophile, I agree. But, don't deny yourself the opportunity to listen to music of your choice,in the pursuit of that perfection. As you grow older, you will have plenty of opportunities to buy higher end stuff to quench your desire. Make a start. There are stalwarts in this group to help you. All the very best.
Cheers!

A big YES to DAC first.
Buy any cheap desktop DAC, like Fiio K1, it will cost only around 3K INR.
In some review, it's better than Dragonfly.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back