Do I really need blu-ray player over my WDTV live media player

hktaluja

Do I really need Blu-ray player over my WDTV live media player. My wdtv live media player is DLNA, Miracast, WIFI enabled. I stream my content over network, i cast my android to wdtv and most importantnly I am able to play ''DOLBY ATMOS'' movies through my this WDTV live media player.

I really need an expert and experienced advise.

If you are not sure if you need BluRay player then you probably do not need it.

Do I really need Blu-ray player over my WDTV live media player. My wdtv live media player is DLNA, Miracast, WIFI enabled. I stream my content over network, i cast my android to wdtv and most importantnly I am able to play ''DOLBY ATMOS'' movies through my this WDTV live media player.

I really need an expert and experienced advise.
If your all requirements are met with WDTV then why are you looking? for Blu-ray player, I think WDTV will have more functionality then a basic blu-ray player.

Regards
Bilal

Last edited:
Depends on what sized rips you are playing on the media player. If you are using the usual 3 or 4 GB rips, then you are not seeing anywhere near what a BD is capable of. Just play a rip and stand a foot away from the screen - you'll see smudges in the picture which doesn't happen with a BD. Reasonable sized rips look fine from a distance but the picture simply does not 'crackle' like it does in a BD (if you know what I mean).
The difference is quite visible if you do an A/B comparison.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

I heard that Blu-ray player has significantly superior quality than media player, so need to know d truth

Depends on what sized rips you are playing on the media player. If you are using the usual 3 or 4 GB rips, then you are not seeing anywhere near what a BD is capable of. Just play a rip and stand a foot away from the screen - you'll see smudges in the picture which doesn't happen with a BD. Reasonable sized rips look fine from a distance but the picture simply does not 'crackle' like it does in a BD (if you know what I mean).
The difference is quite visible if you do an A/B comparison.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
I have all my content downloaded on hard disk, earlier were watching 3-4 GB files but since I upgraded to denon x1300 trying to download d content near 10-15gb, trying no less than dts hd and atmos. My major concern is whether shifting to Blu-ray player will get me significantly superior audio quality too? Will d details of sound will increase significantly?

I have all my content downloaded on hard disk, earlier were watching 3-4 GB files but since I upgraded to denon x1300 trying to download d content near 10-15gb, trying no less than dts hd and atmos. My major concern is whether shifting to Blu-ray player will get me significantly superior audio quality too? Will d details of sound will increase significantly?
If you are feeding AVR with HDMI/optical/coax from WD player, then all your A/D and amplification is being done at AVR. You might not get significant change in sound quality as most of the signal processing is done at your AVR.
You might see Video quality improvement as other FM explained.

Regards
Bilal

@hktaluja -

1. Any compression while ripping, whether audio or video, will affect the output quality.
2. The better your equipment, the more apparent the difference will be.
3. The sensitivity of your eyes and ears will also play a part. So you'll have to necessarily audition.

@ avesbilal - I guess you meant D/A, right ?

@hktaluja -

1. Any compression while ripping, whether audio or video, will affect the output quality.
3. The sensitivity of your eyes and ears will also play a part. So you'll have to necessarily audition.

Thanks for the correction, yes I ment D/A (Digital to Analogue)

Regards
Bilal

If you are feeding AVR with HDMI/optical/coax from WD player, then all your A/D and amplification is being done at AVR. You might not get significant change in sound quality as most of the signal processing is done at your AVR.
You might see Video quality improvement as other FM explained.

Regards
Bilal
thankyou very much Bilal, ur expertise is quite enlightening.

Is there a way to determine the quality of audio and video being received from media player or bluray player or laptop other than naked eyes and ears.

If i wish to determine whether my media player is giving superior audio or video quality than my laptop or bluray player. Is there any small inexpensive device/app/equipment available for laymen to compare the quality of video and audio being received from different mediums/source to know the actual quality result.

@hktaluja -

Is there a way to determine the quality of audio and video being received from media player or bluray player or laptop other than naked eyes and ears.

If i wish to determine whether my media player is giving superior audio or video quality than my laptop or bluray player. Is there any small inexpensive device/app/equipment available for laymen to compare the quality of video and audio being received from different mediums/source to know the actual quality result.

The best equipment is your own eyes and ears. If it looks good to them, consider them good. There will always be something better, something fancier. In the end it's you who has to decide whether the quality from your equipment is good or not. That brings me to the question, are you facing any discomfort while viewing an originally good quality video, or do you hear distortion in an audio track of say flac format or even a 320kbps mp3 file?

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

The best equipment is your own eyes and ears. If it looks good to them, consider them good. There will always be something better, something fancier. In the end it's you who has to decide whether the quality from your equipment is good or not. That brings me to the question, are you facing any discomfort while viewing an originally good quality video, or do you hear distortion in an audio track of say flac format or even a 320kbps mp3 file?

MaSh

The thing is that I have tried hard to compare the quality of audio files(i mostly have mp3 320kbps)
when i play directly by inserting usb drive in my denonx1300,
when i play from my laptop(connected through hdmi),
when i play from my media player.
I am not able to compare the quality. Even the quality of music played online on gaan.com or the same music (mp3) played on usb, my ears r not able to make out the difference

The thing is that I have tried hard to compare the quality of audio files(i mostly have mp3 320kbps)
when i play directly by inserting usb drive in my denonx1300,
when i play from my laptop(connected through hdmi),
when i play from my media player.
I am not able to compare the quality. Even the quality of music played online on gaan.com or the same music (mp3) played on usb, my ears r not able to make out the difference
You are one lucky man. If the sound you hear, sounds good have faith and believe your ears. Enjoy the music. Many a times, things look great on paper, but don't sound that good in reality. Not everyone's ears, tastes, preferences are same. So if something is sounding good to you then it is good to and for you.

MaSh

You are one lucky man. If the sound you hear, sounds good have faith and believe your ears. Enjoy the music. Many a times, things look great on paper, but don't sound that good in reality. Not everyone's ears, tastes, preferences are same. So if something is sounding good to you then it is good to and for you.

MaSh

I mean if there is really not a significant difference in the quality of direct usb play, through laptop, through media player, like i was trying to compare my wdtv live media player and laptop, i played atmos content on both, i could not find the difference in quality. At -7db volume level wdtv and laptop both are giving equally good quality, Than why anyone needs to run behind bluray players like oppo, pioneer, sony or any such mediums/devices to play audio and video. Than I guess everyone has the laptop, just buy an amp n hook it with laptop n play any format of video/audio. I hope u r getting my point

I mean if there is really not a significant difference in the quality of direct usb play, through laptop, through media player, like i was trying to compare my wdtv live media player and laptop, i played atmos content on both, i could not find the difference in quality. At -7db volume level wdtv and laptop both are giving equally good quality, Than why anyone needs to run behind bluray players like oppo, pioneer, sony or any such mediums/devices to play audio and video. Than I guess everyone has the laptop, just buy an amp n hook it with laptop n play any format of video/audio. I hope u r getting my point
The difference is in the quality of components put inside, the amount of research and development put into it, reliability so that the device lasts for a number of years. All these factors and more decide the price. The dac also makes a difference. I think you are using one dac from all your different sources, so chances of observing a difference is very less.

I do understand what you are trying to say, most of us have gone through that and still going through it. Hence the suggestion, if it does not sound weirdly bad to you and you enjoy the music, don't add doubts to your mind, sit back and enjoy the music.

In the mean time, visit audio outlets and audition various speakers, amplifier, receiver, etc. That will give you a benchmark or a baseline you can aim for to achieve in your home. You can carry your own music to those outlets.

MaSh

The difference is in the quality of components put inside, the amount of research and development put into it, reliability so that the device lasts for a number of years. All these factors and more decide the price. The dac also makes a difference. I think you are using one dac from all your different sources, so chances of observing a difference is very less.

I do understand what you are trying to say, most of us have gone through that and still going through it. Hence the suggestion, if it does not sound weirdly bad to you and you enjoy the music, don't add doubts to your mind, sit back and enjoy the music.

In the mean time, visit audio outlets and audition various speakers, amplifier, receiver, etc. That will give you a benchmark or a baseline you can aim for to achieve in your home. You can carry your own music to those outlets.

MaSh

Thankyou very much Mash for ur expert comments, m feeling enlightened and good, thanks once again.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back