Do Ladies like Hi-Fi ?

Women in my family.
1. Mother - Loves Music to the point that the only thing she cared about in her inheritance were her cassettes! Loves my record collection and equipment (though not very keen on hifi - she's happy with anything)
2. Sister - Does not care, actively hates any music I play
3. Wife - Not really into music, but does notice - Recently surprised me by saying that my US system does not have the "special" sound of my Indian system which is an ultra warm setup - never thought she would notice! I suspect she notices the difference, but doesnt care much!

I suppose ladies keep away from Hi Fi due several components and the complications attached to it :)

To respond to your view: yes I agree. In my experience, generally ladies don't seem to like bits and pieces of equipments tied up with wires, they would rather have a single package that does everything.

I know I know totally offtopic, but: Are you Sanjay Manjrekar?

It's the only difficult moment for me, when my gears get delivered at home. After that, everything get adjusted with time. Even once I asked my wife to sell all those gears and simple buy a soundbar. (to see her reaction) She completed disagreed and told - Products once purchased cannot be sold :)

My story

She gets more insecured when she sees me enquire abt a hi fi system rather than me chatting with a girl. Her take with ur mentality you cannot score with a girl.

One time i went to buy a pair of speakers with 2 passengers wify and my 2 yr old kid. The store owner took them to the av room and played prometheus. After some time my kid got afraid so wify send him to Stereo room so that she can njoy the movie.. At the end, i asked the dealer to make the bill. During billing surprisingly she maintained a calm composure.

Next stop was jewellery shop, where i paid security-from-kid tax amounting to 15%(post long negotiation) of the total trx.

Why would gender decide whether the person likes something or not?

Here's a clue: There is an acronym in this hobby dedicated to the wife's approval (or not) of speakers (WAF).

This isn't like music. This is to do with components that have a physical presence in our living spaces. Music like/dislike is gender-neutral. Stuff required to reproduce hi-fi music, not so much. With a strong bias against when it comes to women, especially when it relates to non-dedicated spaces.

Here's a clue: There is an acronym in this hobby dedicated to the wife's approval (or not) of speakers (WAF).

This isn't like music. This is to do with components that have a physical presence in our living spaces. Music like/dislike is gender-neutral. Stuff required to reproduce hi-fi music, not so much. With a strong bias against when it comes to women, especially when it relates to non-dedicated spaces.

It's still a silly question. Gender does not decide Likes and Dislikes. One gender just keeps a tab on the other going overboard. Simple as that. There is no like or dislike in that.

MaSh

Solved. Take few snaps of wife putting on headphone and alongwith latest gadgets and hang it in the listening room. Buy something new and add one more pic. Thats it.

Well there's a war of roses going on at my place. Initially I had a small system which used to occupy little space in bedroom.

As the bedroom is big and I didnt have rights to encroach the guest room , the bedroom remained the listening room.

So I had this itch to upgrade, hauled in a bigger system. The amp couldnt sit on glass shelfs no more so now it sits on the computer table. Speakers took position beside it.

Result I lost a full shelf in wardrobe.

Now TT crawls in along with phono pre and quintessential records. Another shelf lost in wardrobe.

So you see now I'm living on edge and about to loose full wardrobe as just hauled in massive Enbee speakers.

A grim look from wifey, is all I got.

Something's brewing, n I'm afraid to loose the war when it breaks out in full.

Well there's a war of roses going on at my place. Initially I had a small system which used to occupy little space in bedroom.

As the bedroom is big and I didnt have rights to encroach the guest room , the bedroom remained the listening room.

So I had this itch to upgrade, hauled in a bigger system. The amp couldnt sit on glass shelfs no more so now it sits on the computer table. Speakers took position beside it.

Result I lost a full shelf in wardrobe.

Now TT crawls in along with phono pre and quintessential records. Another shelf lost in wardrobe.

So you see now I'm living on edge and about to loose full wardrobe as just hauled in massive Enbee speakers.

A grim look from wifey, is all I got.

Something's brewing, n I'm afraid to loose the war when it breaks out in full.
it is not called a war but massacre.. surrender is the only way out to escape with a few bruises. Saving the equipment is more important..
Click a few pics of the gears in front of HM and post a few ads in Olx to impress that you are trying hard to sell equipments !!! Of course you would price it ridiculously high to safeguard the equipments.. if someone buys it at that price, it is God's will that you shall upgrade!!

I have been lucky in this front. Not that my wife understands the technicalities of hi-fi - she loves to listen to music. It's her who has been taking care of the entire system as I am not home most of the time. And we watch movies together. She is very fond of animation movies dubbed in Hindi.
During my setup, she has been very supportive. The end cost of my setup is way above my initial estimation. It won't have been possible for me to go on if the constant encouragement from my better half was not there. She had volunteered to postpone the purchase of AC so that I could get my system. It's not only about 'liking' only - it's also about 'supporting'.
My mother doesn't like hi-fi maybe because of her age. However she likes to listen to Hindi and Bengali oldies.

I have been lucky in this front..... It's not only about 'liking' only - it's also about 'supporting'.
Extremely lucky Barun. But normally till 5 years of married life, such feelings stay firm. Afterwards melting starts and the priorities shift away from unnecessary expenditures paving way for more savings and investment opportunities.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back