Do Ladies like Hi-Fi ?

My wife and daughter takes 2 to 3 hours on the street to buy dress tops and ear rings, it happens almost every weekend. Their eyes sparkles, on seeing such new items on street. They look at me, I simply nod my head(OK).

I do give my lot of time for their shopping and wait in car without discouraging them. Life is so beautiful some times, they feel so happy by buying a Rs. 4 ear rings(spending one hour for that). At the end, always there will be a treat of dinner while back to home.

Yes they do support in my audio journey. They never discourage me. It is also true that, I never tell them the actual cost of my gears.

It is give and take policy, If I keep them happy, I will be happy.

IMHO, nothing is better in the world than your better-half. After all, life is too short. make it sweet.

My wife only knows to turn my Amp off as its so simple. She finds it very tough for her personal use as she has many things to turn on and set before she can listen music. She finds it very cumbersome and non user-friendly to use.

But i can say with confidence that she does enjoy listening to good music (Carnatic as per her) and Bollywood numbers before 1990. She does not enjoy western music at all. More over she supports my crazy hobby of building speakers and mini projects at home and also many of my tantrums.:eek:hyeah:

Hi, First of all, this post is not to offend any ladies in this forum (If any :D ). I have this doubt for a long time.

Everytime Iam planning to buy an A/V receiver, speaker, TV, Music system etc, I get stern looks from the ladies in the house.. :eek:hyeah:

Not to say that they don't enjoy it 'after' it is bought, but there is definite resistance in the begining.

Also, I have noticed complete lack of interest in the auditioning.. :sad: Apparently everything looks/sounds same to them. Or they have something better to do!

If given a choice, I can with much authority say they select the lowest cost one from the list and are pretty happy about it.. They have only one dilemma.. Whether to go for sony or not as it is costly ;) Also apparently all sony models look the same to them..

When querried, The answer was, Why are you looking inch by inch? The PQ/SQ doesn't matter in the long run.. Only reliability.. It is like when you bought the bike looking at mileage, Now do you not drive it because mileage decreased? :eek:

Do anyone else have the problem?? Are ladies 'like this only'? :rolleyes: Do you know ladies who think otherwise?

Its depend upon the interest they have . Me too have the same problem ,initially they resist and once the hear the sound they like it .:clapping:
Its like how for you the jewellery looks like (for me all looks same:D ) but it differs to them ,they keep on looking and exploring to different designs and models:lol:

My wife and daughter supports me, as I give them their space in their interests - shopping (ofcourse), gardening, reading etc. As most of you do, I also hide the actual price of AV components for obvious reasons. :) End of day, they also enjoy movies in my man cave, though limited to hindi and regional ones.
My wife and mother do not know how to turn the monster on or off, as the process of turning multiple systems ON is beyond their understanding, eventhough I spoon fed them umpteen times :). The only way they know how to turn off a system is by the power button in remote, or if it fails the power switch in the wall. But unfortunately, the wall switch will not help as I have enough UPS backups to support power failures :) . However my daughter has learned it well just by watching me doing it and she know how to operate, though I hardly allow her to. Cant take a chance with the PJ :)

As one of the FM said, life is short and its us who decides whether to make it sweet or sore. Let us enjoy to the core, and ensure the family is happy

Yes.. Very much. The more simpler it is, the more it would encourage them to use it..

My wife uses PC which is connected to AVR, to play movies, music, serials, youtube videos for her relaxation and when in-laws are at home.. She also learnt to stream digital music files on her mobile thru network enabled AVR in the living room when she is in kitchen..

She also uses the AVR stand by mode as & when needed depending on her flexibility..Sometime she gets inquisitive when she sees a different surround mode displayed on AVR..She can toggle between the surround mode's..

So if you have a companion who appreciates home entertainment even a little, there isn't a better treat than that..

My wife enjoys auditioning - especially when the set up is Atmos. Enamored by all those helicopter, wind rustling sounds coming from different overhead, surround speakers. Helps me in setting up the system, arranging cables etc and learning stuff all the time. She is more comfortable operating HT than her smart phone. Blessed :D

onetime i was explaining to a lady colleague...amazing opamps i ordered via ebay from japan
so the i can have the omph of sound on my DIY headphone amp

after all explaination she asked
by the way sound from cell anyway comes ,you like loud na !"
"
me ..well something like that

My wife and daughter takes 2 to 3 hours on the street to buy dress tops and ear rings, it happens almost every weekend. Their eyes sparkles, on seeing such new items on street. They look at me, I simply nod my head(OK).

I do give my lot of time for their shopping and wait in car without discouraging them. Life is so beautiful some times, they feel so happy by buying a Rs. 4 ear rings(spending one hour for that). At the end, always there will be a treat of dinner while back to home.

Yes they do support in my audio journey. They never discourage me. It is also true that, I never tell them the actual cost of my gears.

It is give and take policy, If I keep them happy, I will be happy.

IMHO, nothing is better in the world than your better-half. After all, life is too short. make it sweet.

Eureka! You found out the formula.

I'm waiting (and not with bated breath) to find out just how little (I already know that my new speakers are not going to be appreciated. At all, SQ is not a criteria)

ciao
gr

OMG. Such an interesting thread. Thanks Blasto for starting and Hari for reviving it. I think it makes sense one to read the whole posting and discussions here (as no one can know what all are being told about her).

My wife is equally interested as me but she like stereo setup more than HT. She always accompanied me in audition and purchase of AV component like AV receiver/ Speakers and now 4K LED TV. She insisted for floor standing speakers as they sound good and look handsome in living room. They do have good sense of sound and music. May not be able to describe in perfect audio terms but can input better on performance parameters. My experience.....
AV receiver...
Denon and Onkyo were available for audition. She described Onkyo as aggressive and forward sounding.
Denon as calm and composure with good bass.
We selected Denon...
Speakers...
Dali Zenser 7 ... Bitting ears
Warfdale 230... Monotonous
4K LED TV...
Samsung .. exaggerated colours
LG..x752T.. little dull on colours and brightness compare to Sony.
Sony x9000e... Excellent colours with good brightness and better upscaler.
Most of the time she never refuse anything related to AV purchase but always insisted to save money for future purchase rather than EMI option. She equally like small picnics and travelling and I need to take care of that for my AV hobby.

great balls of fire - women audiophiles do not exist!

woman audiophile - like one in a million!!! - and even then, most likely ardh-nari - like serena williams - we call them hijra!

no, feminine women are mostly to do with family values, children, an inclusive career, a pink world, 9 to 5 job, paranoia, screaming at all and sundry, and such past-times - but listening to music critically? _NOOOOOOO!!!!! - knowing how things work? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! - hey! - even those female vocalists and music performers - do not know whether they know how things work!!!

black and white - NO!

when you are in your listening room - listening (critically) to a fabulous jazz piece that you have waited for - when all is well with the world -

suddenly - your wife will barge in and expostulate (in your left ear - when you want to hear that upright bass just so....) - "what the @@@@ are you doing? - why can't you answer the phone? - stoopid @@@@@@@@@!!!!

and the purity of the moment floats for an ephemeral moment over your head, and is, then, lost for ever.

only to be captured when your woman decides to go on a meaningful holiday and leaves you at home to look after the affectionate doggies and the children!

regds suri
Suri's pragmatically enlightened views about mundane worldly affairs and audio are missed. :p:D
I hope he drops in sometimes in the forum. Also wonder if 'Ex members reunion" is possible :)

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back