Do receivers require 15A sockets?

devang

Hi,
I am getting my home interiors done. Most of the things are done including additional wiring. I want to know if i should provision for a 15A socket for my first home theatre that i am going to buy in a month or so. I am planning to get Denon AVR-X1100w.

Please help.

Theoretically a 5 amp socket can handle about up to 1200 watt devices . Practically it isn't good trying to use the maximum capacity of the socket. The problem with the socket is contact resistance. It will start heating up with increasing current and if it's very high current it will eventually fail.
More than that it will cause the mains voltage at the equipment to fluctuate with fluctuating current flow like in an amplifier playing music. Some systems might not like that at all !
To ensure minimal loss at the power socket it might be better to use a 15 amp socket as it has more contact surface area leading to lower contact resistance.
However quality of the plug and socket is very important too.
For smaller devices ( other than power amps) like DVD player, preamps etc. the current is very low as they are very low wattage units. They will do OK on a 5 amp socket.
Note that a 15 amp socket is only worth it if the power cabling to it is also 15 amps capable .
If I had control, I'd lay wires for power and earth separately from the central distribution point without anything else on that power line , not even light !
As far as possible the Earth line must be separate without other connections on it.

Theoretically a 5 amp socket can handle about up to 1200 watt devices . Practically it isn't good trying to use the maximum capacity of the socket. The problem with the socket is contact resistance. It will start heating up with increasing current and if it's very high current it will eventually fail.
More than that it will cause the mains voltage at the equipment to fluctuate with fluctuating current flow like in an amplifier playing music. Some systems might not like that at all !
To ensure minimal loss at the power socket it might be better to use a 15 amp socket as it has more contact surface area leading to lower contact resistance.
However quality of the plug and socket is very important too.
For smaller devices ( other than power amps) like DVD player, preamps etc. the current is very low as they are very low wattage units. They will do OK on a 5 amp socket.
Note that a 15 amp socket is only worth it if the power cabling to it is also 15 amps capable .
If I had control, I'd lay wires for power and earth separately from the central distribution point without anything else on that power line , not even light !
As far as possible the Earth line must be separate without other connections on it.
Thanks Fantastic!
Since it is too late and little infeasible to lay out special wiring, would a good 15A socket ( I'm using legrand arteor) along with a voltage stabilizer be a workable compromise?

Nope, only AC, room heater and water heater will need it.

Rest of the electronic equipment runs on 5 amp.

BTW, yes 15 amp socket will also need 15 amp grade wiring... or else it will burn out. Had it happen to a friend and its pretty expensive replacing internal wiring, so be careful on that front.

Nope, only AC, room heater and water heater will need it.

Rest of the electronic equipment runs on 5 amp.

BTW, yes 15 amp socket will also need 15 amp grade wiring... or else it will burn out. Had it happen to a friend and its pretty expensive replacing internal wiring, so be careful on that front.
Thanks musicbee!
So you mean I can live with 5A socket for the receiver and should certainly not have a 15A socket on a 5A capacity wiring? If i understand, you mean to say it is far more risky to have( 15A socket+5A wiring) than a (5A socket+wiring).

Thanks musicbee!
So you mean I can live with 5A socket for the receiver and should certainly not have a 15A socket on a 5A capacity wiring? If i understand, you mean to say it is far more risky to have( 15A socket+5A wiring) than a (5A socket+wiring).

Well if there is no 15 amp socket you cannot plug it in right? Otherwise temptation is there and a friend used a room heater without adequate wiring.

BTW, most homes will have 15 amp grade wiring... most homes do have AC or water heater. If needed extend that, simply keep it separate from UPS, etc. I have AC in my room and I simply had 2 additional junction boxes connected to that with 15 amp sockets.

You don't require 15 Amp sockets to drive home amplifiers and projectors but there is no harm in having them......

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back