Do we need non-hifi threads?

Do we need non hifi threads?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Can anybody tell any interesting topic going in hifi section for the past few weeks????????????????????

If I missed anything i will go thru it..:)

A lounge area where people can sprawl (metaphorically) and let their hair down is not a bad idea.For example apart from Hifi/Music/Art House Cinema I would love to chat with members on the other things I am passionate about- Literature,Travelling to unknown places,Wines/Single Malts,and...self cooked food.As an ex caterer and an ex-everyday restaurant diner the only food I now consider fine dine is what I cook myself.Don't follow any established recipes.Merely the best in season, (exotic or mundane) ingredients,only cold pressed oils,fusion of all world/regional cuisines and the most important ingredient of any cuisine...the amount of heat and water to be applied to the mix.
Hungry Kya?

HA!!! You and I my friend have to get together sometime. I cook now and then in olive oil. Though I'm sure you're leagues ahead in the cooking game considering your experience.

Regards

Now that confusion is clear I will vote for "YES" it should be allowed but General Chit Chat threads should not be visible on first page of the forum.
Thanks and regards

Last edited:
HA!!! You and I my friend have to get together sometime. I cook now and then in olive oil. Though I'm sure you're leagues ahead in the cooking game considering your experience.

Regards

I was using only extra virgin olive oil until a couple of years back.But it has now jumped to something like 600/- per ltr.Presently we use 'Hudson' Canola oil imported from Canada and commonly available in big stores for 200/- per ltr.Some health food shops carry excellent cold pressed coconut/sesame/sunflower oils in the 200/- range.Indian food for 2 persons 1-2 table spoon of oil.Chinese/Thai/Italian OIL FREE.Personally I detest the smell and taste of ALL refined oils available in India and consider food fried/cooked in them a major cause of health related diseases.No scientific research on this,just my personal opinion.Perhaps they should carry statutory warnings like cigarette packs!
Hope we don't get penalised for bringing non-hifi stuff on the forum:)
*Although good health via cold pressed oils means longer life span and more listening hours for music.So I guess we are talking Hifi in a roundabout way!

Last edited:
I see that this and the other 'controversial' threads are no longer visible on on the home page.Good idea.General chit-chat like for sale/wanted should be for those who chose to click on this forum rather than a regular part of the home page.And perhaps a better sounding name than 'chit chat'? Perhaps 'Lounge' or 'Time Out'?

People open threads on other topics here because you can't get such an educated and rich (yeah I mean $$) audience easily elsewhere.. at least for India.

I personal (as a HFV member not as a Mod) think non hifi threads should be there. Off late this seems to be the only forum I access a lot and it helps to take advice from my friends here on things other than HFV also.

However, I don't think putting rules for Non-HFV threads or moderating it is a good idea, as it adds more work on the mods and also its very difficult to say whats imp and whats not in a Non-HFV context. Everything is important for someone! even a mouse trap (what if it chews my 1000$ ICs?) or like the post I made on my friends being duped!

I like to have a non-HFV section which has no importance, does not features in search, does not feature in unread thread list etc. It can be auto deleted after 6 months to save server space and cost for HFV.

My 2 paise!

Currently the "General chit chat section" description is thus;

"Discuss anything related to audio video not covered in the other forums" :eek:

What gets discussed there is anything but audio video !

what i would like is to be able to look through the "New Threads" section without the non hi fi threads cluttering up the list. If such a feature is implemented, and people can cut out non-hifi threads from their viewing, then I am all for non hi fi threads. Otherwise it's making the site a bit of a bore for me.

We now have two different forums. One for general chit chat on A/V related discussions and another for discussions on non-A/V related chit chat.

Also if a member clicks on the "Unread Posts" link (at the top right hand corner of the site page), threads and posts on discussions on non-A/V related matter will not be included.

Seems like a reasonable solution that caters to both sides. I like the retaining of the non-hifi stuff cos a lot of it is helpful sometimes.

I see that this and the other 'controversial' threads are no longer visible on on the home page.Good idea.General chit-chat like for sale/wanted should be for those who chose to click on this forum rather than a regular part of the home page.And perhaps a better sounding name than 'chit chat'? Perhaps 'Lounge' or 'Time Out'?

I see that chit chat has become General Lounge.
All credit to the Mods!For listenin'in.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back