Do we need non-hifi threads?

Do we need non hifi threads?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

svenkateshsmart

In view of the recent discussions regarding members commenting on the non-hifi threads. Let us decide, whether we need non-hifi threads or not? There is no objection on all non-hifi threads but a few. So, we cannot ask members to create threads limited to particular topics, rather we would not have non-hifi threads.

I think it is better we decide whether we need such non-hifi threads or not!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Dear ANM ,
Buddy ,don't jump into all the threads with what is starting to look like ego and personal problems !!
You have one dedicated thread to an ISSUE and everything can be taken up there.
If you want to start a poll on " Do we need partial mods or not " , you are most welcome to do so .

Last edited:
I remember I 1st created a Non-Hifi thread when we had to buy a car. Actually I just wanted to know if someone was a member of some other forum since I had troubles in accessing that forum. But I was surprised to know that members here had VAST knowledge about cars also and with due time and after checking some others threads created by other users I found out that members here have good knowledge about almost everything whether its cars, phones or anything else.

So I would definitely vote for a YES for this poll. Why cant members help each other in other issues as well? A separate category can be created for all the non-hifi discussions.

Only issue I can think about is the server load! And thats what Admins have to decide. If they think its too much than no issues in not having these thread as ultimately they run the website. Apart from that I would like to know if there are other issues involved as well with non-hifi threads?

So long as it is in the general section, i dont see any problem. Audiophiles can always choose not to visit the non-hifi sections and even non-audiophiles can choose to ignore if the threads are silly.

I think such threads will help newbies get comfortable with the forum before taking a plunge into the hifi zone.

Another option will be to start a separate section with the title "***WARNING*** "NOT FOR THE GOLDEN EARED''

I agree with cooltoad on this( BTW cool handle, dude)-all one needs to do is to post it in the general chit chat area-people can read it if they are interested or not reads it if not interested

Isn't the question should be " Do we need non hi fi threads?"
Damn... that's the question I expected to see, so it is what I saw!

I answered "Dow we need non-HiFi threads Yes

... but it has changed as I speak!

It is a very social site: I think a lounge area where non-hifi can be discussed is good.

Then there come other questions, such as if all and everything is allowed, how much moderation there is, whether political/etc slanging matches are allowed, and so on.

Mind you, on a hifi site, I guess the hifi threads themselves have the most potential for controversy!

Innuendo? Exclusively for me?

Cheers!

Nopes. It was my opinion in plain English. Let me expand. Live your life on hifi forum (you as in third person neutral, generalized) and let others live theirs. So for example my life here revolves around tubes, vinyl and helping people who are interested in these topics. I have no clue about, nor interest in home theatres so I ignore those forums. Would be a better place if people contributed to threads they found interesting and let the others be for those who find them interesting, instead of calling for bans on this and that.

regards

There is nothing wrong if we take advise of HFV friends for genuine reasons.
Personal threads can be deleted later once the solution is out OR thread is not responded for certain time period.

By the way Venkatesh ,I am confused with title of this thread & title of poll.
ie.Poll title -Do we need hifi threads?

Ofcourse Yes :lol::lol::lol:

itz like asking ...do we need that extra element like the cup of green tea or shot of of J.Danial in hifi room..yes we need!

I dont see any need and my choice will be "NO"

Even if you have separate section for non-hifi threads, it quiet tough for moderators to keep watch. Also some members may carry forward their feud from non-hifi into hifi threads.

Damn... that's the question I expected to see, so it is what I saw!

I answered "Dow we need non-HiFi threads Yes

... but it has changed as I speak!

It is a very social site: I think a lounge area where non-hifi can be discussed is good.

Then there come other questions, such as if all and everything is allowed, how much moderation there is, whether political/etc slanging matches are allowed, and so on.

Mind you, on a hifi site, I guess the hifi threads themselves have the most potential for controversy!

A lounge area where people can sprawl (metaphorically) and let their hair down is not a bad idea.For example apart from Hifi/Music/Art House Cinema I would love to chat with members on the other things I am passionate about- Literature,Travelling to unknown places,Wines/Single Malts,and...self cooked food.As an ex caterer and an ex-everyday restaurant diner the only food I now consider fine dine is what I cook myself.Don't follow any established recipes.Merely the best in season, (exotic or mundane) ingredients,only cold pressed oils,fusion of all world/regional cuisines and the most important ingredient of any cuisine...the amount of heat and water to be applied to the mix.
Hungry Kya?

I have voted Yes. We definitely need non hi-fi threads too. Whether it is sunglasses, watches, mousetraps or home-hunting, the reason we start a thread here is because we have like-minded people here who are also very knowledgable on other topics. I have learnt so much from this forum both hi-fi and non hi-fi. The General Chit-chat area is just that - a lounge for members to hang around when there are no hi-fi threads which interest them. IMO, if this section is taken out or tightly moderated, the fun factor will vanish and participation even on Hi-fi topics will plummet.

Have said it before on a similar thread, "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy".

Members can help by keeping this place clean by not starting threads for existing threads. Mods can help by merging related threads. Members who are only interested in Hi-fi can avoid the General chitchat section alltogether.

Just my two paisa..

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back