DO you belive in THX certification and its products?

Thanks a ton guys, for your support. I apologize i did not mention my speaker package.

Speakers:
1.Bose 2.1(acoustic mass 5 stereo) & warfedale floor stand(Valdus 400)
2.Bose - LR (201)
3 JBL - Rear back
4 JBL - Center
5. Wharfedale sw150

My preference to listen is punchy bass and lot of movies(MASTER -HD)

Let me know which one I should go for. Currently i own yamaha rx-450 and have connected both bose and wharfedale for A and B terminal (front).

Santosh, Is it Valdus or Vardus?

One more question, Currently i am driving both bose and whafedale (front L/R) with A & B buttons on my yamaha reciver, if i upgrade to 608 or 1910 will one of my speaker become useless since they dont drive A & B parallely???

Thanks a ton guys, for your support. I apologize i did not mention my speaker package.

Speakers:
2.Bose - LR (201)
3 JBL - Rear back
4 JBL - Center
5. Wharfedale sw150

Let me know which one I should go for. Currently i own yamaha rx-450 and have connected both bose and wharfedale for A and B terminal (front).

Your package has 3 speaker variants - Bose, Wharfedale & JBL . Generally speakers of same make and series have unique SQ . As you have different makes it is advisable to select AVR after auditioning them on these speakers if you do not wish to change the speakers in near future.

Regards

THX - It's Not a Format
THX is a set of equipment specifications, compatible with all surround formats, intended to standardize the performance of any theater system. It does not compete in any way with Dolby Digital, Pro Logic or any other surround format. Software (movies) certified by THX may be played on any Dolby surround system and conversely, THX hardware can play all Dolby surround movie software whether or not it is THX certified.

There are actually three parts to the THX standard: one covers the mastering of home videos, specifically laserdiscs and DVDs. All THX-certified software will work with any player, in any system. Part two is known as the Theater Certification Process, wherein a commercial movie theater can achieve THX status by complying with a series of hardware and setup guidelines. Part three deals with the gear consumers purchase for their home theaters, and is known as Home THX.

Home THX components are not necessarily better or worse than other products: they have simply earned THX approval by conforming to all THX-mandated specifications. Once the product has been submitted to Lucasfilm, LTD (the company that developed and licenses the THX standard) and passed a battery of tests, it can wear a "THX Approved" badge. In order to be a true THX system, all the audio components in that system--processor, amplifier, speakers and subwoofer--should be THX-approved. But that does not mean that THX and non THX components cannot be used together, they can.

And yet, although THX guarantees a certain, minimum standard of certain types of performance, many of the best products are not THX approved. Why? Audio manufacturers often choose to forego THX certification because either A) they believe THX specifications actually compromise performance (for example, many speaker manufacturers assert that THX-mandated dispersion patterns can negatively affect sound quality) or B) they decline to pay, and pass on to their customers, the licensing fees demanded by Lucasfilm.

So, should you buy THX-approved gear? That depends. For inexpensive, entry level gear, THX-approval guarantees a minimum standard of quality: a THX-approved receiver of amplifier will drive a variety of loudspeakers and, conversely, THX-approved speakers will work with most amps. So will most non-THX components! It would be foolish to ignore a product simply because it has or hasn't been THX certified. What's more, most high quality "high end" products are not THX-approved. If you need an "official seal of approval", THX might be worthwhile. But remember: you can build an excellent home theater independent of THX certification. When in doubt, trust your ears.

===================================================

This was copied from here

So, should you buy THX-approved gear? That depends. For inexpensive, entry level gear, THX-approval guarantees a minimum standard of quality: a THX-approved receiver of amplifier will drive a variety of loudspeakers and, conversely, THX-approved speakers will work with most amps. So will most non-THX components! It would be foolish to ignore a product simply because it has or hasn't been THX certified. What's more, most high quality "high end" products are not THX-approved. If you need an "official seal of approval", THX might be worthwhile. But remember: you can build an excellent home theater independent of THX certification. When in doubt, trust your ears.

Good one Jitu. I think this is a good summary of the topic. Especially, the last sentence.

THX - It's Not a Format
you can build an excellent home theater independent of THX certification. trust your When doubt, ears.

Excellent article . All the manufacturers AMPS and speakers are not in dearth of standards , quality ,Technology and resources to meet the standards of LUCAS. To cater the needs of all they will produce products of High , Medium & Low levels maintaining certain minimum standards.

Regards

Speakers:
2.Bose - LR (201)
3 JBL - Rear back
4 JBL - Center
5. Wharfedale sw150

Santosh, hopefully you have gone through my comparison of Denon 1910 & Onkyo 608. Wharfedale Valdus is a discontinued model and you would not be able to audition them anywhere. Given the fact that you have such differences in your speaker setup, you may have to make some compromises and audition these AVRs using the speakers that match closest to your setup. At the risk of sounding like an Onkyo evangelist, I would recommend Onkyo TX-SR608 if you have not decided yet. But let your ears (and budget) be the final judge of which one you'll purchase.

Edit: In my earlier post, I had mentioned that I auditioned Onkyo TX-SR608 with the Diamond 10.7s. But due to the showroom's oversight and to an extent mine as well (added to the fact that I went for audition late in the evening and the entire showroom was dimly lit) that I missed to see that they had connected Onkyo TX-SR607 to the speakers, not 608. I suppose that makes my observation of the 608 not performing well in music incorrect since the TX-SR608 has Burr Brown DACs and also has a "Pure Direct" mode which is supposed to provide a better 2 channel stereo performance.

However, I have setup the TX-SR608 in my home with the Diamond speakers and will post my "updated" observations in a couple of days.

Last edited:
There are actually three parts to the THX standard: one covers the mastering of home videos, specifically laserdiscs and DVDs. All THX-certified software will work with any player, in any system. Part two is known as the Theater Certification Process, wherein a commercial movie theater can achieve THX status by complying with a series of hardware and setup guidelines. Part three deals with the gear consumers purchase for their home theaters, and is known as Home THX.

There is more to THX certification scope - they also provide the certification for automobiles, computer based systems, computer gaming and consoles.

Home THX components are not necessarily better or worse than other products: they have simply earned THX approval by conforming to all THX-mandated specifications. Once the product has been submitted to Lucasfilm, LTD (the company that developed and licenses the THX standard) and passed a battery of tests, it can wear a "THX Approved" badge. In order to be a true THX system, all the audio components in that system--processor, amplifier, speakers and subwoofer--should be THX-approved. But that does not mean that THX and non THX components cannot be used together, they can.

THX is an independent company that is owned by a conglomerate of investors along with Lucas. This happened quite a few years ago. Lucas does not own the brand or company exclusively.

Also, the most controversial thing about the certification process is that it is a very private and proprietary method. Not knowing what the certification really means except subjective assertions such as "high quality" and "works well with all other THX certified products" does not make sense. Without publishing the standards, it is a shot in the dark if these products are better in any way than others.

Also very cheap computer systems and car audio systems get certified. REcently cables are being certified to be THX compliant though there is no indication as to what makes it better.

Also they dont publish a list of products that failed the certification so a comparison can be made.

... you can build an excellent home theater independent of THX certification. When in doubt, trust your ears. ...

very true.

The Pioneer VSX 21TXH is a decent AVR delivering 110 watts per channel into 8 ohms. It should be able to drive any speaker package quite well.

Instead of jumping in directly, I would suggest you audition some speakers such as QA, Wharfedales, Mission, etc. Though the QA 2010 is good, you might find the Wharfedale 9.2 slightly better for music at least. If you are going piecemeal, I would also suggest you to see if you can get a pair of floor standers for the front such as Warfedales 9.5 or QA 2050.

Cheers

Appreciate the response Venkat, I am looking for some speaker package under 40K for a 5 speaker set up. (I dont prefer floor standers). I would request some suggestions on where I can audition for Wharfedale 9.2 in Bangalore. I am only looking for book shelf speakers.

Why THX ? If you get what you want thats best for you........dont go for these logos and certifications, most of them are to make you spend more then what you want to.....

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back