DO you belive in THX certification and its products?

Back to the question, Do we go with THX or not?
Sir,
If any company maintains standards then there is no need for THX certification and their products will have demand and no need to pay royality to the certification that is ultimately borne by the customers. It nothing but an advertisement/marketing strategy . My question is why do onkyo go for THX certification for 608 and pass the expences on certification to the customers. They advertise this as THX certified. Cannot they have confidence in their product and sell it without referrring to lucas labs for certification.

Regards

DO you belive in THX certification and its products? will THX certified products really perform better???

I can see a use for the certification as it atleast gives us a standard to compare the products against. But I think its application in home setups is very very low. Roughly < 5% of the setup's meet the critieria in my experience and mine definitely does not.

SP Krishna,
THX is not advertising. It is a product certification process, just like CMM is a quality certification process for software production. Is CMM also an advertisement for a software company? Any certification process assures the end-user that some standard practices have been followed during product creation and that these practices (according to the certifying authority) will make the product technically coherent with the quality expected of it.

Santhosh,
Please read the forums and search for an extensive thread on THX. I remember Ventak et al. writing a detailed explanation of the process and what it means. This should help you understand THX and whether it is necessary for your listening experience.

Well the price will always differ from one to other.
Denon are 100yr old & Onkyo 61yr.
Denon are well accepted than Onkyo in many countries.
So price of Denon can be high.
Secondly it depends on features,components used inside.
Denon sounds better than Onkyo with music too.

So price can very.

Thats a very subjective note. For mass merchandise gear, the parts are more or less comparable whether they are Denon or Onkyo or Yamaha or whatever. Just because somethign sounds nice does not mean that its using better components. The sounds of the Onkyo and Denon are very distinct but the new Onkyo receivers (7 series and up) are pretty nice to listen to.

Also age/history of a company has no bearing on the retail prices.

SP Krishna,
THX is not advertising. It is a product certification process, just like CMM is a quality certification process for software production. Is CMM also an advertisement for a software company? Any certification process assures the end-user that some standard practices have been followed during product creation and that these practices (according to the certifying authority) will make the product technically coherent with the quality expected of it.

Sir,
As you said during product creation certain standards are to be maintained . Onkyo" s is not a small company .It has international standing. They are well aware what are the standards needed for THX certification and Onkyo labs are well equipped to meet the standards so as their work force who are technically sound. They need not depend on external forces to certify them and if they do ........?

Regards

Well Hemant, I am not going in car History,
What I know is Sony prices are always higher than other Japanies brands.
Though its not a rule,but experience does matter to improve.
Also check my other points too(component etc)

THX is a fraud. Personally I have yet to find any benefit whatsoever, to their products and as for their 'certification' programme. The less said the better. The whole point of a cerification programme is for the customer to be able to trust, any product that has certification, will be absolutely problem free and of a certain minimum quality. Guess what, I have seen numerous Laser Discs, DVDs etc with the THX logo, that sucked big time in both audio and video. Anyhow bottom line, personally I would never pay even a single penny extra for the THX label.

I think its better for someone to answer in this forum, who had a demo of same audio/video played in both THX and Non THX receiver. I would belive in the person who would listen to both and come out with an answer for the above question.

I am confused and I need to buy either 608 or 1910 and I am not able to come to a conclusion. I need your help guys.

I think its better for someone to answer in this forum, who had a demo of same audio/video played in both THX and Non THX receiver. I would belive in the person who would listen to both and come out with an answer for the above question.

I am confused and I need to buy either 608 or 1910 and I am not able to come to a conclusion. I need your help guys.
I have more than enough experience of listening to both THX and no THX receivers. The fact is that there is a difference, but that is simply because the THX receivers are almost always 'high end'. Thus, comparing them to the non THX receivers, which are usually 'low end' only, is just not fair or objective. The fact is the THX receivers are better, but not because of the THX certification and/or the THX processing. I personally, have only owned THX receivers for almost 'fourteen' years, but have never preffered to use the THX processing. THX processing in my opinion really does not improve the aural experience and as for their certification. They stand at par with ISI certification, as far as credibility goes.

Santosh, since you have narrowed down on these two models, I am guessing you must listened to both. So forget THX, forget the price of each. The one that you liked is the one you should buy (if you have not problem with the price that is).

I think people are confusing what THX certifies, as opposed to liking an equipment's sound signature (with or without THX). To reiterate, THX is a certification that the device/speaker/theatre adheres to certain sound reproduction benchmarks that the THX process thinks gives out a consistent audio experience, adhering to what the producer/artist intended. It is supposed to help compare different listening devices and set a common standard. Whether you like the resulting sound or not is not part of the THX standard. Read more here:
THX Select and THX Ultra2 Certification General Questions &mdash; Reviews and News from Audioholics

Also, please search forum for much more info on this topic.

Sir,
Dont get confused . What are the speakers you are going to use ? If the speaker package is already decided then audition both the AVRs on these speakers and select the one that sounds best to you. Do not decide AVR first and speakers later.
Regards

Krishna,

Ur last line "Do not decide AVR first and speakers later." got me to register. :).. I have been a regular on this forum more as a guest, since the time i first read the What HiFi Magazine in June 2009.

Back to "Do not decide AVR first and speakers later.". My Wife just gifted me a Pioneer VSX 21 TXH and am currently looking for speakers. Bookshelf only at a limited Budget. any suggestions?

I will probably start with Q Aquostics 2010 front speakers(12K) and then build from there as my budget improves... I had almost made up mind on picking up Jamo i dont remember the package but cost 20K for a 5 speaker set up ("2 floor standers, 1 center and 2 surround") w/o Sub.

Krishna,

Ur last line "Do not decide AVR first and speakers later." got me to register. :).. I have been a regular on this forum more as a guest, since the time i first read the What HiFi Magazine in June 2009.

Back to "Do not decide AVR first and speakers later.". My Wife just gifted me a Pioneer VSX 21 TXH and am currently looking for speakers. Bookshelf only at a limited Budget. any suggestions?

Sir,
I do not have any idea about pioneer AVR and the speakers it can pair/match with for good SQ. You have to wait for other members to respond.

Regards

I will probably start with Q Aquostics 2010 front speakers(12K) and then build from there as my budget improves... I had almost made up mind on picking up Jamo i dont remember the package but cost 20K for a 5 speaker set up ("2 floor standers, 1 center and 2 surround") w/o Sub.

The Pioneer VSX 21TXH is a decent AVR delivering 110 watts per channel into 8 ohms. It should be able to drive any speaker package quite well.

Instead of jumping in directly, I would suggest you audition some speakers such as QA, Wharfedales, Mission, etc. Though the QA 2010 is good, you might find the Wharfedale 9.2 slightly better for music at least. If you are going piecemeal, I would also suggest you to see if you can get a pair of floor standers for the front such as Warfedales 9.5 or QA 2050.

Cheers

I can't answer your first question on THX vs non THX experience. However, as it has been written in this thread and if you go through the link provided by ajinkya, it is clear that a product that is THX certified has to meet certain minimum standards, and so it is an assurance to customers that the product will perform reasonably well. Keep in mind, THX does not certify a product for its expected longevity or reliability but only for its actual performance.

Having said that, in my hunt for a good HT plus music setup, I auditioned both the Denon 1910 and Onkyo 608. The setup for my audition was as follows:

Denon

AVR - AVR-1910
Front Speakers - Wharfedale Diamond 10.1
Surround / Center / Sub -none (stereo audition only)
Source - Denon Blu Ray DVD Player (did not note the model number)

Onkyo

AVR - TX-SR608
Front Speakers - Wharfedale Diamond 10.7
Surround - Wharfedale Diamond 10.1
Centre - Wharfedale Diamond 10.CS
Sub - Wharfedale Diamond 10.GX
Source - Pioneer Blu Ray DVD Player (again unfortunately did not note the model number)

The setup was different because I auditioned Denon & Onkyo in two different showrooms. Without going into too much details, the denon sounded better for music and the Onkyo sounded better for movies. Onkyo did not do well in music and it sounded treble heavy, but that could be because of the source. However, I have gone ahead and purchased the Onkyo 608 AVR and the speaker set as listed above under Onkyo. Why did I purchase the Onkyo package? Because it was an unbeatable deal, and the Onkyo really did well for movies (you could feel the 747 flying overhead in the hijacking scene of Air Force One) and the Wharfedale speaker combination that's in the package gives me the flexiblity to expand to a dedicated stereo system in the future if I choose to. For now, I am going to make do with the 608 for movies and music. As you can see, I have taken this decision based on a lot of factors and after all it is my decision that I am quite happy to live with.

You have mentioned only these two models, but you have not mentioned what your usage is going to be like. Are you going to use this only for movies? Do you expect to use it for music? Depending on your usage, please select a set of Blu Ray or DVD titles and audio CDs that you regularly listen to and audition both these AVRs. And select the one that you like. As the folks here rightly say, regardless of what anyone might think as a good AVR or speaker (including the most discerning audio or videophile), only your ears & eyes can determine what is "perfect" for you. Once you start auditioning, if you have further questions, there are a lot of members in this forum who would be happy to help:)

I also would like to respond to S.P.Krishna's response in another thread that you had created about Denon 1910 vs. Onkyo 608 (since you have already started discussing the same here in this thread), where he had mentioned that the Denon 1910 is superior to Onkyo 608.

These are some of the major differences between Denon 1910 & Onkyo 608

Onkyo TX-SR608

Year 2010 model
100 Watts per channel @ 8 ohms
140 Watts per channel @ 6 ohms
THX Select2 Plus Certified
Supports HDMI 1.4a (technically 3D ready)
Burr Brown DACs for all channels
Supports only Audyssey 2EQ
Faroudja DCDi for 1080 upconversion (not better compared to Denon 1910)
Includes a built in cooling fan (at least in middle east / europe models) - this is important since AVRs especially Onkyos can get hot
Total power consumption 620 Watts

Denon AVR-1910

Year 2009 model
90 Watts per channel @ 8 ohms
125 Watts per channel @ 6 ohms
No THX certification
Supports HDMI 1.3a. Does not support HDMI 1.4a and hence does not support 3D
Unknown DACs (i.e., it is surely not Burr Brown but I do not know what other DAC Denon uses in this model)
Supports Audyssey MultiEQ (technically better than 2EQ)
Anchor Bay Technology 1030 chip used for 1080p upconversion (supposedly better compared to Onkyo 608)
Does not have a cooling fan - but Denons generally do not run hot like Onkyo
Total power consumption 430 Watts

Pay attention to each point, especially the last one. Putting aside the efficiency of the receiver for the moment, you can see the Onkyo 608 is the more powerful receiver of the two and the 608 supports HDMI 1.4. And then the Burr Brown DAC which is supposed to do a good job of converting digital audio signal to analog signals.

However, Onkyo uses a very old chipset for converting normal SD video to HD and does not support Audyssey MutliEQ room correction. For me these were not major deal breakers and hence I decided to go with 608. Plus it has more power in the amplifier block compared to Denon 1910 which will be useful when the receiver is pushed to render short bursts of high power demanded by movies & music.

I am not saying that the Onkyo 608 is superior to Denon 1910, but it is just a more powerful receiver than the 1910. And given my requirements and budgets, Onkyo 608 fit the bill.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a ton guys, for your support. I apologize i did not mention my speaker package.

Speakers:
1.Bose 2.1(acoustic mass 5 stereo) & warfedale floor stand(Valdus 400)
2.Bose - LR (201)
3 JBL - Rear back
4 JBL - Center
5. Wharfedale sw150

My preference to listen is punchy bass and lot of movies(MASTER -HD)

Let me know which one I should go for. Currently i own yamaha rx-450 and have connected both bose and wharfedale for A and B terminal (front).

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back