Do you wait for THAT special moment in life?

Dear Venkat,
Thanks for taking the time.
What amazes me about u (& a few others) is the effort taken in your posts.I do not have the patience/dedication to write posts like many that u have written or for that matter the post by Kamalji on Virens new speakers.
Yes i know u are elder to me and I appreciate your advice.

Point I make is a little confusing actually. Its not that i compare myself constantly, in fact i dont. I know there are people born in the lap of luxury and i also see the bitter facts of bbay life all around me everyday. Starting with my grades as a kid to success in the chosen career to anything really i am always somewhere in the middle. That is perfectly fine truly.
Its the monotony of urban bbay life that sometimes gets to me. My problem is I 'fill' my days with too much. You set too many targets, too many goals and all this leads to some success & loads of frustration.

Money/material happiness comes and goes and my point to MBR really was the lesser we attach ourselves the happier we get.

Anyway thanks again (am not adding to ur reputation count as i feel u dont need it !!!!! Over a 1000!!!) Hahaha
Rgds

Oh man - now this whets my appetite even more to visit the great city of Bombay! I try and play a game of cricket every week here. But its been raining nonstop here for 2 days now. No chance at least for the next couple of weeks I think.

Will surely give you a tinkle if and when I am at Bombay.

PS - Which bat did you get? Recently I got two bats which have pretty much become the apples of my eye. A GM Catalyst and a Slazenger first grade willow. Now, this is one passion my wife simply refuses to understand. :)

Vortex when i was younger I always had some GRAY-NICOLLS. I still have my broken GN 500, my Dyna Drive as i loved these two but for the last 5 years or so I have been using a BDM. I feel our Indian made English willow are better suited to our wickets (low & lower) as the thicker toe lasts longer. The meat is also a bit lower than say a GM Maestro and that packs quite a punch.
This is called the BDM titanium or something and i remove all the stickers and just keep it bare. "pick up' is good and seems Ok.
I bat at No 5 or 6 as my primary skill is 'trying' to bowl quick!!!Sometimes i am asked to open if we are chasing something big. Game is nowhere like before for me and i now only play the 'saturday' 30 over games. I guess at 40 its time to cool off.

Vortex if I may how much did these cost u? Slazenger V12 is something i had ages ago and it did not last the season but the bat had a superb pick up and the bat felt superb in the hand. Kapil Dev used one and I had to have it and must have pestered my poor parents to get it for me!!!
Is bglore a good place for cricket gear? As in u will get a wide range of willows to pick one from? This BDM i picked from 14!!!

Rgds

Ps I won the 'Thumbs up' speed competetion in the year 1990 and have a certificate that reads 132KPH which i am proud of even today!!!!

Last edited:
What amazes me about u (& a few others) is the effort taken in your posts.

Many a time I have been subject to less informed lesser mortals say a lot of gibberish and that being accepted as God's writ. This has happened in business, in the corporate world, and even in general life. I find writing to be a relief, actually. Here is something you can do without having to worry about what the other person is going to think about. And, writing with a resonably good grammar is, again, a relief after listening to people around you murder the language with glee.

Point I make is a little confusing actually. Its the monotony of urban bbay life that sometimes gets to me. My problem is I 'fill' my days with too much. You set too many targets, too many goals and all this leads to some success & loads of frustration.

That is exactly the point I am trying to make. Many a time I have seen my son, wife and many others watch cricket on TV as if their life dependant upon it. They will scream, cry, clap and generally make idiots of themselves for a couple of hours. I will sit in the same room and wonder how people could be so enamoured by something that is happening elsewhere. Then I realised that, for such people, the cricket was just an excuse. These people have the innate capability to enjoy life and not worry about tomorrow. I have seen my son being screamed at by his boss. My son will keep the phone a few inches away from his ear, and keep saying 'yes sir', 'yes sir'. If I had been in his place, I would have slapped the boss or put in my papers. My son keeps real cool, and says, 'let him take out his frustration'. And he quitely goes back to work, and gets a promotion !!!

I understand life is monotonous, but have you ever asked the question 'why only to me?' Or rather, how are there people who don't seem affected by the monotony? My college professor once said something that made sense - happiness is a state of the mind. If we can learn to control our mind, we will find everything interesting and happiness in even small events that happen all around us. To a certain extent our upbringing is to be blamed. Contrary to the Western philosophy where failure is accepted as a stepping stone, here in India, we are always taught that we should NEVER fail in anything we do. That is a load of crap. Failure is not something we should be ashamed of. Actually we should be proud of failures and learn from them.

I can write a full 500 page book on this, but the guts of the matter is that the key to happiness is within us. And, believe me, if you let it get to you, life is monotonous everywhere in the world. Not just in Mumbai. We should always have something to look forward to. We should always have a few things we will lust after and hug and purr when we get our hands on. It is the want and the fulfilment of that want that keeps us alive.

Yesterday I was watching Good Will Hunting on TV, and I was struck by what Sean Maguire the shrink tells Will Hunting. After listening to Will ramble for a few minutes, he asks him what he wants to be, what he wants to do with life. When Will has no answer, Sean asks him to get out, saying you are wasting my time. Come back when you have some idea.

Believe me, make happiness at any cost a goal, and you will start smiling more often.

Cheers

Vortex when i was younger I always had some GRAY-NICOLLS. I still have my broken GN 500, my Dyna Drive as i loved these two but for the last 5 years or so I have been using a BDM. I feel our Indian made English willow are better suited to our wickets (low & lower) as the thicker toe lasts longer. The meat is also a bit lower than say a GM Maestro and that packs quite a punch.
This is called the BDM titanium or something and i remove all the stickers and just keep it bare. "pick up' is good and seems Ok.
I bat at No 5 or 6 as my primary skill is 'trying' to bowl quick!!!Sometimes i am asked to open if we are chasing something big. Game is nowhere like before for me and i now only play the 'saturday' 30 over games. I guess at 40 its time to cool off.

Vortex if I may how much did these cost u? Slazenger V12 is something i had ages ago and it did not last the season but the bat had a superb pick up and the bat felt superb in the hand. Kapil Dev used one and I had to have it and must have pestered my poor parents to get it for me!!!
Is bglore a good place for cricket gear? As in u will get a wide range of willows to pick one from? This BDM i picked from 14!!!

Rgds

Ps I won the 'Thumbs up' speed competetion in the year 1990 and have a certificate that reads 132KPH which i am proud of even today!!!!

Gray Nicholls - They are not yet available in Chennai. Would surely get them when they are made available here.

You do have a very valid point about our Indian bats being better for our slow, low wickets. But see, most of the cricket I play is on matting wickets which is not of especially low bounce. Not real bouncy, definitely. But not the snake-like ankle-high bounce you get when you play on turf.

Also in this one respect, I think the foreign company which has made the most improvement is GM. In fact Gunn and Moore with their new Catalyst line I think have really, really nailed it. At Rs. 4500, the Catalyst 300 is simply eating into the sales of the BDM's and SG's. I took about 2 hours to pick my bat from a sample size of 15. You wont believe it if I mention my wife was there with me. Yes, I am lucky - touch wood!

The Slazenger is the best bat I have owned. It has got a wonderful pickup, outstanding power and a lot of meat. Not a bad combination. Mine is from their 2008 range. I see that they have changed their model lineup for the 2009 year. Air-blade, I-blade and what not! As far as I see, my model is closest to the I-blade on their website. It is a first grade willow. It cost Rs. 10,000. I also season my own bats and found that this one was very easy to get to order. The GM Catalyst too was quicker to get seasoned than the regular BDM's and SG's.

Slazenger | Product

Talk of BDM Titanium always saddens me. Thing is I had gotten a Titanium for me and I liked it so much that I even bought a Titanium for my brother who plays league cricket in the US. I would hardly have played a handful of matches with the BDM, when the bat was used by somebody other than me (without my knowledge - obviously) resulting in it being badly broken. I did get it fixed, but it is of no use as the bat almost cracked in two right at the sweet spot. My brother tells me that the bat got a lot of rave reviews there in the US. I think its a great bat. Very light and very sweet. I would not use it for too much power hitting though. It does not seem made for that.

A 4 year old SG Cobra is another of my favourites. Its visited the repair yards more than once, but its always returned in good shape.

As far as age goes, nothing beats an old RNS I got about 15 years back! It is still in playing condition - although you would be hard pressed to see any willow over all the string surrounding it! But RNS bats nowadays, I am told, are not that great. Any ideas about that, Dinyaar?

Hi Bala,

Have you read the books of one Lee Child? Well they will not tickle your intellect. But like good old MGR flicks they are good entertainers.Only one guy appears in all the novels.Jack Reacher. He does not have a home, no baggage.Roams all over America with just a tooth brush! If you have not already read give it a try. You may like him.:)

Author Lee Child

cheers,
sri

Thank you Sri. I am always on the lookout for reading material. And will keep my eye open for this. Much appreciated.

Venkat - some gems there! I enjoyed reading them. We need to catch up on the old days sometime.

Any plans on attending any of the November concerts? I already owe my wife one on not taking her to the T.M. Krishna concert:)

I won the 'Thumbs up' speed competetion in the year 1990 and have a certificate that reads 132KPH which i am proud of even today!!!!

Wow!!! dinyaar - that's amazing, and you must have had three slips?

the only other person that i know who could bowl that fast was a senior of mine at school - Sandeep Malpani.

You must have been a terror! - 6 wickets for three! and sure that on some days you would have been "in the zone" when things went slow-motion-perfect and best batsmen did not have bats when they faced you!!:)

You know, that speed figure really crept past me! Congratulations, Dinyaar! I have only played two people clocked in the 130s and man, were they fast! On a matting wicket, you might have been and for that matter still might be quite unplayable!

I will certainly pack in my whites for the Bombay trip. Thats a done deal:).

I have played baseball with pitching machines set close to 90 mph, but that was different. I find baseball very very simplistic compared to cricket - no offense meant to baseball fans. Just my personal opinion.

Also I am not sure about places to shop for bats in Bangalore. But I am sure there are good ones out there.

Venkat - some gems there! I enjoyed reading them. We need to catch up on the old days sometime.

Any plans on attending any of the November concerts? I already owe my wife one on not taking her to the T.M. Krishna concert:)

Thanks. I am certainly game if the rains will let up.

Cheers

I am not expert in meanig and subtle meanings of pink floyd songs but I think time fits perfectly in our discussion of this thread!

Tired of lying in the sunshine
Staying home to watch the rain
And you are young and life is long
And there is time to kill today
And then one day you find
Ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run
You missed the starting gun

And you run, and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death

Every year is getting shorter
Never seem to find the time
Plans that either come to nought
Or half a page of scribbled lines
Hanging on in quiet desparation is the English way
The time is gone
The song is over
Thought I'd something more to say

I am not expert in meanig and subtle meanings of pink floyd songs but I think time fits perfectly in our discussion of this thread!

Tired of lying in the sunshine
Staying home to watch the rain
And you are young and life is long
And there is time to kill today
And then one day you find
Ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run
You missed the starting gun

And you run, and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death

Every year is getting shorter
Never seem to find the time
Plans that either come to nought
Or half a page of scribbled lines
Hanging on in quiet desparation is the English way
The time is gone
The song is over
Thought I'd something more to say

hi hemathwaghe,

the person who wrote that song was surely a depressive -

made me feel sick reading those lines!!:sad:

Hi all,
Suri, yes i could bowl quick but at that time my brain could only think of bowling quick and to 'show off'. If i could have thought a bit more and done more with the ball it would have been far more productive. Actually quite a few guys can bowl close to 130 and its a matter of playing that speed for a while that gets u accustomed and the reflexes to sharpen to cope. We all get a few knocks now & then. Actually this speed competetion was not in a match environment so no slips. It was this Cola Co trying to encourage youngsters to bowl quick and had hence conducted these camps all over the country i believe. We assembled at a gymkhana in South bbay and were asked to warm up and bowl in a net (without any batsman) and the speed recorded. I remember I decided to bowl three full tosses and one of them was recorded as the fastest and a small cash prize given.

Vortex that was too long ago. Today i bowl much slower & dont even try to crank it as i cant!!! But have learnt from our many coaches to move the ball in the air with some degree of control. U know our club (WSC) imported a matt wicket & bowling machines for cricket & tennis. I dont like a matt wicket, somehow i am always feeling unsure when I bat on it.
There are a few good wickets in bbay, ELF academy & bbay gym. Good bounce & carry and my old club (parsee Gym) wicket was good at times too.
Am fortunate to be able to play at all our famous bbay venues frequently but most of my cricket life was spent at our three famous maidans i.e Azad,cross,shivaji Park which were decent then but today unplayable IMO. They are too dirty at least the first two and frankly now the desire to slog it out is gone as there is nowhere to reach! Now its pure fun & hence the saturday members games which are less intensive & lesser chances of running into cocky 20 year olds who will try to knock ur head of.
RNS,Sunny Gold, Cobra,BAS Vampire, SS have all been in the CLUB KIT from time to time but i find most of them to be heavy.
Vortex u are obviously more into cricket gear than me now. I tend to use whatever the club Kit offers in bats as they are decent. This bat was bought as there was a coupon which expired in Nov and i thought I would just buy a bat for the Nets. The Pakistani made bats CA are very popular in bbay but @ above 10K they are beyond the club budget.
Vortex for some reason i thought u were bglore based and hence the question on availability of gear in bglore! Sorry.

Since I have so shamelessly taken this thread off course yet again (sorry MBR) let me just add a little bit more!!!I thought the Sachin 100 a few days ago was superb. It rolled back the years and i for one thought he was now not capable of such knocks.

Rgds

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back