Document Expiry Reminder

chander

Hi All,

A topic for general lounge.

I am looking for a reminder app that allows me to create & store document expiry details for my vehicles. I have 4 Vehicles in the house & between insurance (OD & 3rd Party); PUC, Service etc, I keep forgetting something or the other always.

Also would love to have the option to save in other things like NPS contributions, ELSS, Medical Insurance etc.

I know Google Calendar is the best option out there, but with my calendar looking like a hospital trash bin, it will be very easy to miss these items - as has happened!

Wanted to check if anyone has a solution?

Thanks!

For me, my bank notifies me of such events ;)

How you ask?
Its not a straight forward setup.

I am a salaried professional and avoid unexpected big expenses. So all my annual expenses are split into monthly installment.
I have around 25 recurring deposits (bank RD) for all my annual commitments. Insurance premiums, automobile servicing, tax payments, etc.
The RD maturity date matches the annual payment due dates (not exactly but well within the payment due date)
When the RD matures, my bank sends me an SMS about the amount being credited to my savings account.
That is my reminder! :cool:

There is a catch. You can't add a name or tag to the bank RDs. With multiple RDs, one can easily loose track of RDs and its mapping to the annual goals.
To overcome this issue I use ICICI bank's iWish accounts (No, I am not associated with ICICI bank nor I get paid for promoting their products)
iWish accounts are nothing but recurring deposit accounts with flexible installment options. It allows for naming the accounts. It is modelled around goal based investing. You provide the goal name, goal amount and the monthly/quarterly deposits which is optional.

The main purpose for this setup is definitely not to get timely reminders but it follows the goal based investment principle. Financial discipline and the reminders are just some of the benefits.

Google calendar does have reminder alarm options.
Yes it does! However - it doesn't provide something which is important I believe for these "unwelcome" dates. An ability to see a dashboard like that allows you to be prepared well in advance. I set google "TASKS" right now to do this for me, however I only set it a week in advance and run it for a week till the expiry date.

@sudokpr - BRAVO! Great advice! But I am looking for something on the go :) Regardless - hats off to you!

@keith_correa any app suggestions or you mean - google to - do list?

I would love to have something like this - So you have an idea at all times what's coming. Maybe categorised under a vehicle detail.
1689085987104.png

I have all my incomes and expenditure setup as an Annual Budget book in Excel. It is maintained month-wise (Income in various categories and expenses in various categories with the balance carried over to next month.) The expense rows will have all payments like Insurance, car service, recurring expenditure like monthly bills recorded in respective months with additional comments, if required.

Of course, I always end up spending more than my budget.

@keith_correa any app suggestions or you mean - google to - do list?
That IS an App.

I have been using an extremely simple and dumbed down (apt for me) App for 10+ years - ColorNote. As the name suggests, it is a scratch pad for notes, has the ability to attach a reminder to a note, can password protect notes and syncs to the cloud. I find it invaluable and brilliant - just the way software should be.

Last edited:
Back