Dolby atmos from PC?

When you say its flat, do you mean lacking bass?
The highs are not crisp , its sounding like old radio ...and there's less bass.

As u mentioned here, i believe u are using hdmi directly to AVR !!.
I was giving suggestion assuming that your graphics card is installed in your PC and through HDMI cable it is connected to your AVR.Is not that case in your setup ?
Yes i am using hdmi directly to AVR. Yes Its connected with NVidia Graphics card GROFORCE 1650 -> hdmi out --> hdmi cable --> AVR

Here u mentioned that u have purchased gpu!!!

am i missing something from your chain of components ?

Let us know your pc setup and how are u using ?
My PC setup:

Intel I7 10th gen processor 10700k
NVidia Graphics card GROFORCE 1650
MSI mother board (dont remember model)
16 GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro OS
Media players : Kodi , MediaPlayer classic
No Sound card installed

My video is playing very cleanly , only thing is the sound is flat.
When i was watching the movie with same AVR settings with my old pc (which has dedicated sound card) it was sounding very good.
Not sure Sound card does improve overall sound quality here...

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy PCIe RX 7.1 Sound Card with High Performance Headphone Amp
The specs of these sound cards looks good - 122 db SNR ratio
supports upto : 32-bit / 44.1, 48.0, 88.2 96.0kHz

Not sure whether nvidia support similar specs .

The highs are not crisp , its sounding like old radio ...and there's less bass.

Yes i am using hdmi directly to AVR. Yes Its connected with NVidia Graphics card GROFORCE 1650 -> hdmi out --> hdmi cable --> AVR

My PC setup:

Intel I7 10th gen processor 10700k
NVidia Graphics card GROFORCE 1650
MSI mother board (dont remember model)
16 GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro OS
Media players : Kodi , MediaPlayer classic
No Sound card installed

My video is playing very cleanly , only thing is the sound is flat.
When i was watching the movie with same AVR settings with my old pc (which has dedicated sound card) it was sounding very good.
Not sure Sound card does improve overall sound quality here...

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy PCIe RX 7.1 Sound Card with High Performance Headphone Amp
The specs of these sound cards looks good - 122 db SNR ratio
supports upto : 32-bit / 44.1, 48.0, 88.2 96.0kHz

Not sure whether nvidia support similar specs .
Are you getting display as Atmos in your AVR/ while pressing info is it showing ATMOS in your TV/ Display/ Projector while playing ATMOS movie ?
I remember you mentioned somewhere that it is not showing as ATMOS ?!

Last edited:
Are you getting display as Atmos in your AVR/ while pressing info is it showing ATMOS in your TV/ Display/ Prjector while playing ATMOS movie ?
I remember you mentioned somewhere that it is not showing as ATMOS ?!
Yes .. Those issues already sorted out. The movie i was playing have DD sound . From AVR it displays DD correctly.

Yes .. Those issues already sorted out. The movie i was playing have DD sound . From AVR it displays DD correctly.
Few more details required may be other FM can also support.
1.Did u tried same movie in your old pc with Sound card ?as u mentioned that is good !!
2. Are these movies Audio Track are true DOLBY digital or converted one.
3.What about other sound Formats sound quality? Eg - DTS
4.Comparitively HDMI is suppose to be far superior than optical for HT purpose( if it is latest gen GPU) .What is your HDMI version of the video card ? Your hdmi cable is good?
5.Graphics card model u mentioned is correct?
i don't see such model exist as per ur info.

Few more details required may be other FM can also support.
1.Did u tried same movie in your old pc with Sound card ?as u mentioned that is good !!
Yes. I tried the same movie.
2. Are these movies Audio Track are true DOLBY digital or converted one.
3.What about other sound Formats sound quality? Eg - DTS
I am using mkv file. So it should be converted one.
DTS sound - is even more flat than DD.
Stereo sound even worst..
4.Comparitively HDMI is suppose to be far superior than optical for HT purpose( if it is latest gen GPU) .What is your HDMI version of the video card ? Your hdmi cable is good?
I am using good quality HDMI cable i believe. When i connect with Xbox one x with same hdmi cable / with same movie -- its sounding good.
Have selected bitstream out over hdmi in Xbox one x .
Seems to be the way nvidia sends the sound signature to be a issue. I could not find any other sound settings from nvidia control panel for sound to tweak it.
5.Graphics card model u mentioned is correct?
i don't see such model exist as per ur info.
Below is the link.
GEFORCE GTX 1650

Last edited:
Yes. I tried the same movie.

I am using mkv file. So it should be converted one.
DTS sound - is even more flat than DD.
Stereo sound even worst..

I am using good quality HDMI cable i believe. When i connect with Xbox one x with same hdmi cable / with same movie -- its sounding good.
Have selected bitstream out over hdmi in Xbox one x .
Seems to be the way nvidia sends the sound signature to be a issue. I could not find any other sound settings from nvidia control panel for sound to tweak it.

Below is the link.
GEFORCE GTX 1650
As per your inputs.
My Findings as follows.
Ur HDMI cable is good.
What is the size of the Video MKV file( Mb /Gb ).
As per the gpu model u mentioned, the spec of HDMI is 2.0b which is capable of handling the Audio bandwidth.
Your GPU purchased newly/ used one ?
Did u tried K lite Codecs / similar codecs installed?
i am not sure about ur mother board capability.
Share the kodi screen shots ( may be u can DM )
I am not looking at Nvidia control panel configuration here let it run as default settings .Possible take a note of your prefered settings and reset to default settings.
I strongly believe there is some configuration issues here.

As per your inputs.
My Findings as follows.
Ur HDMI cable is good.
What is the size of the Video MKV file( Mb /Gb ).
As per the gpu model u mentioned, the spec of HDMI is 2.0b which is capable of handling the Audio bandwidth.
Your GPU purchased newly/ used one ?
Did u tried K lite Codecs / similar codecs installed?
i am not sure about ur mother board capability.
Size of the video is 9GB.
The GPU is the newly purchased one.
K lite Codecs / similar codecs installed -- No . Kodi does not need these .
My mother board ; MSI - B460M-PRO-VDH

Kodi screen shots:/
kodi.png
kodi2.png

Sound Settings
denon-prop.PNG

denon-prop2.PNG

Change this standard to Expert mode and down to that allow pass thru select capable receiver model.There are about 5 - 6 models will be available to select according to your AVR model.kodi2.png

My old pc has s dedicated sound card which was sounding good.
May be yes. I have tried that way and compared with HDMI 5.1 sound. Spdf 5.1 out of same file sounds much cleaner , bigger and darker than HDMI. HDMI sounded little congested. I did change HDMI cable with better make and now sound is better. Still spdf sounds musical to me.

Change this standard to Expert mode and down to that allow pass thru select capable receiver model.There are about 5 - 6 models will be available to select according to your AVR model.
Yeah .. i selected all models now. The sound seems to be better , but still not like the spdif out from my old pc. Thanks for your suggestion. Will do more trials and if nothing works to my interest then probably will add pci sound card.

May be yes. I have tried that way and compared with HDMI 5.1 sound. Spdf 5.1 out of same file sounds much cleaner , bigger and darker than HDMI. HDMI sounded little congested. I did change HDMI cable with better make and now sound is better. Still spdf sounds musical to me.
Yeah .. i felt the same. I am planning to add Creative Sound Blaster Audigy PCIe RX 7.1 Sound Card with High Performance Headphone Amp to my PC. Will it be worth spending . It has many good specs like high snr ratio , high bit rates ..etc.
only -ve is , for Dolby atmos i need to feed through hdmi only.

Will it be worth spending . It has many good specs like high snr ratio , high bit rates ..etc
I am using Asus Xonar D2X. Asus has few other cards in 6k range. Creative cards are known for gaming and uses different DAC chips. Not following newer cards though. Asus cards use Burbrown, Virus DAC chips which are used in CDp, AVR etc. Someone who has compared creative cards with other can tell how exactly they differ sonically.

I am using Asus Xonar D2X. Asus has few other cards in 6k range. Creative cards are known for gaming and uses different DAC chips. Not following newer cards though. Asus cards use Burbrown, Virus DAC chips which are used in CDp, AVR etc. Someone who has compared creative cards with other can tell how exactly they differ sonically.
My old pc have Asus sonar sound card , unfortunately spdif port is damaged , i could not reuse the sound card in my new pc. I have seen good reviews for these creative sound cards ..hence thought of trying out. I hope using sound card will be better any day in terms of sound quality.

My old pc have Asus sonar sound card , unfortunately spdif port is damaged , i could not reuse the sound card in my new pc. I have seen good reviews for these creative sound cards ..hence thought of trying out. I hope using sound card will be better any day in terms of sound quality.
The sound card software will actually add a layer of EQ (or post processing if you will) to the original source. This it why the end result may sound better to you. However, when you are bitstreaming, you are decoding the digital signal in your AVR without any post processing added. Ideally it is how the source was intended to sound like (much like the source direct mode in some amps and receivers), however everyone has their own preferences. You can probably get that additional oomph back by tweaking the EQ/Tone adjustments in your AVR and end up with a much better result that a PCIe sound card's output.

Let me know if you are interested in picking up a xonar dx sound card. Letting go for 1k, in perfect working condition

Using my Intel NUC (i3) and Gaming PC (GTX 1080ti) to successfully pass Atmos to my AVR. You need the Atmos App from the windows store to get Netflix (or PC Games) to work but I use Media Player Classic to bitstream locally stored content. No issues.
Hi!
I have NUC i5... Denon X4700 AVR.. I am just not able to get any video and audio using HDMI from PC to AVR. So using PC to TV and ARC from TV to AVR. But sound quality is not good this way. What display setting did you keep for the NUC display out and AVR settings?

Hi!
I have NUC i5... Denon X4700 AVR.. I am just not able to get any video and audio using HDMI from PC to AVR. So using PC to TV and ARC from TV to AVR. But sound quality is not good this way. What display setting did you keep for the NUC display out and AVR settings?
So you simply get no display when you connect the NUC to the AVR? No windows loading screen? Are you running windows 10 ?

So you simply get no display when you connect the NUC to the AVR? No windows loading screen? Are you running windows 10 ?
Yes. No video. Scratchy Audio comes and goes but absolutely no Video. Yes Windows 10. I think it's display resolution issue between them.. What are your settings..

Yes. No video. Scratchy Audio comes and goes but absolutely no Video. Yes Windows 10. I think it's display resolution issue between them.. What are your settings..
Not sure what you mean by settings. I have a 1080p screen so my native resolution is 1080. Are you force settings a resolution or refresh rate?

The sound card software will actually add a layer of EQ (or post processing if you will) to the original source. This it why the end result may sound better to you. However, when you are bitstreaming, you are decoding the digital signal in your AVR without any post processing added
This is it. If you've checked audessy settings (dynamic eq / dynamic volume / surround params) are the same on hdmi vs spdif .. you just have to tweak the EQ yourself.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back