Dolby atmos from PC?

Interesting post. I have a 1080p laptop with corei5 8th gen, 16g ram but only a default intel GPU since it's a business laptop. I have 500gb movies in the laptop, each movie is at least a 10gb file with 6ch audio.

If I connect this to an AVR and play a 4k movie file with 5.1 audio on any media player like vlc, it should give output of 4k + 5.1 to the AVR which will then pass on the video to tv and 5.1 to the speakers, right? Am I missing something?

Interesting post. I have a 1080p laptop with corei5 8th gen, 16g ram but only a default intel GPU since it's a business laptop. I have 500gb movies in the laptop, each movie is at least a 10gb file with 6ch audio.

If I connect this to an AVR and play a 4k movie file with 5.1 audio on any media player like vlc, it should give output of 4k + 5.1 to the AVR which will then pass on the video to tv and 5.1 to the speakers, right? Am I missing something?
By default VLC will send 2.0 signal. You typically need to setup the output codecs. Its recommended you bitstream to the AVR and let the AVR downmix based on your speakers setup. I don't use VLC so can't comment on the specifics. I use Media Player Classic, many people like Kodi too.

By default VLC will send 2.0 signal. You typically need to setup the output codecs. Its recommended you bitstream to the AVR and let the AVR downmix based on your speakers setup. I don't use VLC so can't comment on the specifics. I use Media Player Classic, many people like Kodi too.
Can you elaborate? I'm not an expert at this but I've ordered a Taga 506v2, Taga 212SE, and a Yamaha HTR 3072 to set up my first 5.1 HT. How do I go about getting the highest quality video/audio output from my AVR if my laptop is a source?

Can you elaborate? I'm not an expert at this but I've ordered a Taga 506v2, Taga 212SE, and a Yamaha HTR 3072 to set up my first 5.1 HT. How do I go about getting the highest quality video/audio output from my AVR if my laptop is a source?
I had tried yo explain with images ,but they are missing now -

I am upgrading my PC . I was using the PC for playing movies && music. I was using a 7.1 sound card in my old pc for sending DTS signal to my av receiver which was working perfectly. I have connected with SPDIF cable from sound to receiver for sound.

Since I am planning to build new PC , how do i send Dolby atmos to my receiver. Does it need any special sound card. Would it be possible to send Dolby atmos sound + 4k video together from PC to receiver , similar to blue ray player. Please suggest any GPU card /sound card for dolby atmos.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Just Install Dolby Access for Windows 10 and it will send atmos data to your receiver via HDMI 2.0

HFV.jpg

Thanks that helps. Does this 1060/1070 NVidia cards handle sound via hdmi as well. Does it support Dolby atmos?.

Well my LG SL8YG Dolby Atmos Soundbar can detect atmos data via default hdmi port of my PC motherboard with the support of Dolby Access app installed in my Windows10 pc.
My Connection is like this.....
PC Motherbord HDMI port > Soundbar HDMI input > Soundbar HDMI Video output > TV Input. That's it.
See the attached video.

a trick I learnt... once the Dolby Access App is installed and all set up.. you don't even need to select Speaker Setup to Dolby Atmos to get bitstreaming working to your AVR. it just does that even if set to Stereo or 5.1 etc !

a trick I learnt... once the Dolby Access App is installed and all set up.. you don't even need to select Speaker Setup to Dolby Atmos to get bitstreaming working to your AVR. it just does that even if set to Stereo or 5.1 etc !
You are correct, but that's only if you are using Kodi, MPC, PDVD. But if you want to get DA from Netflix, you have to select Dolby Atmos in speaker config

All , I have purchased NVIDIA GROFORCE 1650 , and DD ,DTS works fine. It support Dolby atmos as well. When i connect with my denon receiver all works fine. Thanks all for suggestions.

Also how to get 5.1 surround from Amazon prime from windows ?. Currently getting only 2 channel sound?.

Also when i connect my pc to TV , it sends only 2 channel , where i hooked up my tv to my old amp with SPDIF cable ( my old amp dont have hdmi in) . So finally i get only 2 channel in my AMP when i connect through TV.

PC --> HDMI --> Samsung TV --> optical out -->optical cable --> My Old receiver // Get only 2 channel

My Xbox one x works fine - with the same type of connection. its able to send multichannel through my TV.

Xbox one x --> HDMI --> Samsung TV --> optical out -->optical cable --> My Old receiver // Gets multichannel (5.1) surround.

Any suggestions here ?.
Doesn't your AVR have an HDMI out ? Why not connect PC -> HDMI -> AVR -> HDMI-VIDEO-OUT -> TV ?

Doesn't your AVR have an HDMI out ? Why not connect PC -> HDMI -> AVR -> HDMI-VIDEO-OUT -> TV ?
My Old AVR don't have HDMI ports , that's why connecting this way. I have figured out , the issue is with the mediaplayer settings in PC. And it worked fine after that. Thanks.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back