DOLBY ATMOS SET UP

Prasad1975

Hi Guys.. there is lot of stuff on speaker layouts like 5.1.2 vs 7.1. here i would like to mention my new experiment on my speaker set up.
I have Yamaha RX V683 avr.
AVR Configuration- 7.1
Speaker actual placement- like 5.1.2 atmos.
Front LR- Polk S60
Sub- Klipsch sw R12
Center- Polk S30
Surround LR- Polk s10 ( near to the ear level)
and Surround backs are hooked on overhead (POLK s10) instead of back position.
Result is very immersive.
that means my actual speaker layout is like 5.1.2 but my avr is set to 7.1.
now i can watch atmos content & regular DD or DTS content also without using Dolby surround or Neural X upmix.
anyone did this experiment? is it a good idea? kindly give your expert views on the same.

now i can watch atmos content & regular DD or DTS content also without using Dolby surround or Neural X upmix.
That means that sounds that were mixed to come from behind you are instead coming from above you. Why would you deliberately ruin the intended directionality of the sounds? It also means that none of the height sounds are decoded. Instead, the height information is stuck in the 7.1 base layer and never separated out. Why would you buy an Atmos receiver only to never use the built in Atmos decoder?

Hi Guys.. there is lot of stuff on speaker layouts like 5.1.2 vs 7.1. here i would like to mention my new experiment on my speaker set up.
I have Yamaha RX V683 avr.
AVR Configuration- 7.1
Speaker actual placement- like 5.1.2 atmos.
Front LR- Polk S60
Sub- Klipsch sw R12
Center- Polk S30
Surround LR- Polk s10 ( near to the ear level)
and Surround backs are hooked on overhead (POLK s10) instead of back position.
Result is very immersive.
anyone did this experiment? is it a good idea? kindly give your expert views on the same.

Well it is good to experiment and as long as it sounds good and effective to you...why not!

IMHO....been for the last 3 What Hi Fi shows and auditioned so many Dolby Atmos systems and honestly not much difference versus a 7.1.....thats my 2 cents believe and view......others would disagree....again thats my pure opinion....

Bottom line ....its nice to share your experience and if it makes you happy...run it that way!

Well it is good to experiment and as long as it sounds good and effective to you...why not!

IMHO....been for the last 3 What Hi Fi shows and auditioned so many Dolby Atmos systems and honestly not much difference versus a 7.1.....thats my 2 cents believe and view......others would disagree....again thats my pure opinion....

Bottom line ....its nice to share your experience and if it makes you happy...run it that way!
Today i tried lot of different formats on this set up. Result is good enough. Now overhead speakers (7.1) layout showered the sound like anything. Tried Spector movie in DD + D surround upmix and enjoyed helicopter scene like never before..

5.1.2 is never a 7.1 setup. Your AVR has additional terminal to plug 2 more speakers and can be swapped between 5.1.2 and 7.1. You can add additional speakers to switch between 5.1.2 and 7.2
Yes. Offcourse, i ordered Polk Owm3 additional 02 no speakers for this setup.

That means that sounds that were mixed to come from behind you are instead coming from above you. Why would you deliberately ruin the intended directionality of the sounds? It also means that none of the height sounds are decoded. Instead, the height information is stuck in the 7.1 base layer and never separated out. Why would you buy an Atmos receiver only to never use the built in Atmos decoder?
Thanks for reply.. bro it is a experiment.. technically you are right. But when i tried 5.1.2 setup with Bahubali 2 BD which is Atmos disc did not show atmos magic although the soundtrack was very powerful and crystal clear and enjoyable. Problem is with atmos .. didnot observed special effects. Hence i did this experiment,. If you have any tip for me then pls help.

Can you share your setup pics? 683 by nature has Atmos and DTS X decoders. It would help us to suggest the best position to install your back surrounds for 5.1.2 setup.

I haven't installed ceiling speakers rather have front heights which gives about 85% effect of Atmos and ideal for DTS X too.

Your rear surrounds should be front heights to give you the same.

As asked, please post some pics of your current setup. Also now a days you get BD with DTSX or Atmos sound tracks in the market, why not buy? Any decoding like Neural:X or Dolby Surround will be applicable for movies if you need additional effects from a 5.1 disc.

Hi All,
Something off topic,
Can Polk Audio RC 60i in ceiling speaker pairs(2) be used as atmos speakers with Wharfedale 220 5.1 package .Will there be issues of timber matching.
Kindly advice

Can you share your setup pics? 683 by nature has Atmos and DTS X decoders. It would help us to suggest the best position to install your back surrounds for 5.1.2 setup.

I haven't installed ceiling speakers rather have front heights which gives about 85% effect of Atmos and ideal for DTS X too.

Your rear surrounds should be front heights to give you the same.

As asked, please post some pics of your current setup. Also now a days you get BD with DTSX or Atmos sound tracks in the market, why not buy? Any decoding like Neural:X or Dolby Surround will be applicable for movies if you need additional effects from a 5.1 disc.
Thanks for showing interest. Sorry for late reply. I will post some pics of my set up for sure. However i have installed my back speakers to overhead now.. just above my listing position.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back