Dolby True HD and DTS HD MA support

basim.sherif

I have bought a new Yamaha home theater(YHT 1840) which only support Dolby Digital and DTS HD. Can I still get lossless audio from this receiver if I have blu-ray player which supports Dolby True HD and DTS HD MA decoding? or a PS4 which I believe supports these codecs. Can some one please confirm this? I have read an article regarding this, please find this below,

Decompressing in the player
Home theater amplifiers don't evolve at the same rate as other electronics, and usually an amp that was good five years ago is still good today. So we understand that people can be hesitant to replace their AV receiver just to listen to the latest codecs. Luckily, most older receivers still have HDMI (pre 1.3) or discrete analog inputs (6 or 8). For this reason, having an HD movie player that can decode internally is advantageous, as it will handle the latest codecs and allow your older amp to just take the signal and amplify it for your speakers. The other advantage to decoding in the player is that if discs were authored with the advanced authoring method, the player can mix interactive feature's sounds with the regular audio from the movie -- things like beeps from the menus and directors commentary can fall into this category. If you decode in your AV receiver, you won't be able to take advantage of the additional sounds.

It should support DTS HD MA and Dolby True HD as these both are common codecs and your receiver is new. BUT Dolby Atmos support is doubtful and it should downgrade Atmos to 5.1 only (DTS HD MA 5.1)

Congratulations on your purchase!

If your AVR does not support some codec, but the source does, you always can set your source to output PCM. As this receiver has 192kHz/24bit output, you should hear TrueHD just fine. Just use Blueray player that supports TrueHD and configure it's output format as PCM.

This receiver can decode dts hd master but not dolby true hd,but can out put
192kHz/24-bit DACs for all channels as mentioned in its specs.

You can bypass audio decoding in bluray player by selecting lpcm out (raw audio) or if using your bly ray player to do decoding then connect its multi channel output to avr (provided both has) to get uncompressed sound.

rajesh.

This receiver can decode dts hd master but not dolby true hd,but can out put
192kHz/24-bit DACs for all channels as mentioned in its specs.

You can bypass audio decoding in bluray player by selecting lpcm out (raw audio) or if using your bly ray player to do decoding then connect its multi channel output to avr (provided both has) to get uncompressed sound.

rajesh.
Hello can i am not able to find dts even in yamaha website, if you can say me that it supports then i am purchasing one or if it dosent have then i think ill go for sony htiv300
Please help me regarding this.

Yesterday I replaced the default Yamaha speakers in the 1840 with Denon ones which physically being larger should sound better and I guess it does. Issue I have is with the split of audio to their respective channels. There aren't too many options in the Yamaha menu to choose what audio I want.

When I play Tata sky HD..it does display dolby digital ...but no matter what movie I play on Kodi - all sorts of DTS and Dolby formats...it shows PCM only on the display...Have changed Kodi settings to allow/disallow passthrough....changed audio output device...Direct..Wasapi....all options and I am just not impressed.. again I am comparing it with my first floor setup with a pioneer receiver and pioneer andrew jones speakers..not a fair comparision but all I want is five discrete channels

and I notice that center sound also flows in through the fronts...

I will keep trying all the options to get it right. Anyone who is enjoying their Yamaha 1840, do help me out with your settings.

My gear is...tata sky and a desktop connected to the Yamaha which is connected to my TV..so no ARC here. Also there is no mention of DTS in the Yamaha manual.

I recently noticed that some bluray discs are poorly remastered and remixed with a claim of dts master hd or dolby true hd. Even with the best surround amplifiers(avr), they dont give good sound. So it may not be your amp.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back