Do's and Dont's-Buying Pre-owned via Olx,Quickr,adpost etc online

Audio_Freek

Hi all,

Recently i got a used amplifier for 4K for my friend via OLX.in from a invidual and it was under my observation for a Month.just a week before i handed over the amp to my friend,and made a statement that " Amp is working fine " and no fault has been found.

But in many cases the Sellers in those online preowned market like OLX,QUICKR,ADPOST are most Dealers and not the Individual sellers. So as dealer even though they get a crappy amps (Re-paired, replaced component,Boards,intermittent issues etc) with decent cosmetic look they made them post in the web as "World's heavy weight Amp- Very rare vintage amp-400w-Made i Japan-original-working condition) etc

People who have low budget and ppl who have interest in old items would go for pre-owns from there. And i think many have been cheated by these people, but not sure.

So let me share my thoughts and ideas on buying a Pre-owned av From Online web-portal.

DO's
1.Check the amp\speaker model number in GOOGLE IMAGE and verify, whether its been copied from "foreign forums" and posted in Indian classifieds.(There is a person in Quickr with name Ganeshhsuryanshi from mumbai, who downloads the photo from Google image and post the same in this add)
2.Be sure to have a look before you buy and try to make a search nearby locality and trust none.
3.Ask for detailed pictures from the seller,even with the top cover open.
4.On visit:Spend some time checking each and every functionality,never hesitate to do it, though we opt for Pre-owned its not for FREE so we have all rights to look-on.
5.On first instance,try to understand whether he is dealer or individual and ifs dealer then, thy to be away and individual, then give a try.
6.If its over priced then just just interest for a while and withraw stating that its over priced, he should come back atlast
7.Do make a online transfer and try avoiding the cash in hand option(might be useful, in future)
8.Read the review on net, take a printout of the External and internal parts of the amp and then go for checking the amp

Don's
1.Never get a pre-owned produce from regular sellers in online portals.
2.never pay until you have a physical view.
3.Dont get attracted towards the quotes "High power 240RMS amp" for 3000INR(the same amp would be available in ebay uk/us for 150-250$) so we think its a big deal and last will end up by cheated by paying money.
4.Dont be so gentle, try to bargain to the most, coz the dealers would have atleast 30-40% profit margin
5.Never hesitate to inform the relevant online portal complaints if you find some one is making a fake add's.

If you have any experience in buying pre-owned from online portal and also any ideas to get escape from the fraud sellers\fake sellers ,please mention the same, so that we can stop few atleast ,before then get trapped,who read this thread

I bought some used audio CDs from a lady in Delhi through olx. The price was good and the CDs almost new. Before buying I made sure that it was not a dealer and even had a discussion before opting to buy some of the discs.

Another incidence was of a cd player that I wanted to buy after reading a listing on quikr. I paid half the amount in advance. The seller kept postponing the shipping of the player for reasons unknown. I later asked him to return the money which also he was reluctant to do. I then asked a friend of mine to personally collect the amount since he was from the same locality and thankfully he got the money back and sent it to me.

Lessons learnt-
Avoid dealers.
Only buy when an item can be physically examined and picked.
Have a helpful friend available if it is from another city.
Talk to the seller before finalising the deal.

Lessons learnt-
Avoid dealers.
Only buy when an item can be physically examined and picked.
Have a helpful friend available if it is from another city.
Talk to the seller before finalising the deal.
+1

I have seen many Hi-Fi Pre-owned stuffs are available for sale mostly in and around Mumbai and some in Pune,delhi ,From south Chennai and bangalore have reasonable contribution.

Possibly the the FM's ,who are interested in getting a worthy Pre-owned AV shall form a group,just fun named "Happy pre-owned owners Club" and can check for volunteers for each location Chennai,Bangalore,Mumbai,pune ,who may interested in INSPECTING (service motive) for fellow FM's.

This is my imaginary Idea,i dont know whether its applicable for real time scenario.

This model was possible in school days and even college days for some to the purpose
I use to inspect and gather information in School days about other school boys and girls at their location and pass to my friend,who actually want the info.:eek:hyeah:
I never charged, just a mutual help which we cold do, and i too have used my friend for same purpose:)

After reading this I realize that probably I was saved by not buying a used CA 850 amp from chennai posted on quickr some months back.

As Haisaikat knows my ad is on Quickr for my TV.

So there is another genuine ad.

But like the OP says beware and Caveatemptor!

There is a Guy name Sarathy from Chennai he makes tons of ADD-post for Hi-fi in OLX

If you see the address as Sarathy, Guindy,Chennai then move away, though he has some good stuffs.Its oveeeeeeeeeer Priced.

I remember an Incident happen few months back
Where one of my friend who is chennai saw a "Vintage Sansui speakers @ mint condition" (10'' WOOFER ,4 '' mid-range and tweeter") in Pre-owned shop and while the rate quoted was 6K /pair.

The same day night my friend called me and said the speakers, i said just ask for 5 k, if the owner is fine with that then buy and keep it with you, I shall collect when i come to chennai

Next day the SPEAKERS GOT Dis-appeared with 5K tag and Appeared in OLX for 9.5K

I dont know what to do, Just made LOL, but i miss the speakers:(

But as i said initially, individual buyers are certainly gentle and some dealers are trying to

Label "B&W" on BOSE speakers and selling in cost of "Magico",(Just Kidding),they are businessmen so we cant expect more humanity with then anyways

Good post.I am selling/buying through OLX,QUICKR,ADPOST,SULEKHA etc(forums,ebay).So far nothing went wrong.I am following the Do's and Don't's rules as OP mentioned.Thanks!

The following items I am listed on OLX for sales.

Indirajayan ads on OLX. Indirajayan's free classifieds

Welcome, and happy to see few genuine sellers who are in Forum to guide the people like me.Also can make a trust full purchase:)

I have contacted Hemant (One of the member), selling Pre-owned but within the forum, pretty decent and giving more offers than Diwali season :clapping:

I had purchased a Tube amp from Qiickr/Olyx (Don't remember now)

The guy happens to be a dealer from Trivandrum named Goban.

He stated that the amp is a NOS piece and he is selling the same with a spare set of tubes. When the deal was finalised, he never mentioned about transportation cost.

The amp is in brand new condition no doubt but the original set of tubes are not only old but not even matched quad. Three were original Cayin tubes and the fourth one was Tungsol and was faulty.

I called him to question as to why he talked about spare set of tubes when the original set is old and not even a set. He nonchalantly says that his brother has sent it from Dubai in the same state and he will check with him.

When I asked him to reduce the amount because he has misrepresented the facts and made me to believe that there are two sets of tubes, he brings about the issue of transportation charges which according to him, I'm liable to pay as it is always the buyer who pays for transport. My reasoning that the fact should've been made clear before the deal fell on deaf ears.

I realised that it is futile to confront him further and waste my time and energy and took solace in the fact that the amp is in good condition.

It is always better to avoid dealing with such unscrupulous people.

Welcome, and happy to see few genuine sellers who are in Forum to guide the people like me.Also can make a trust full purchase:)

I have contacted Hemant (One of the member), selling Pre-owned but within the forum, pretty decent and giving more offers than Diwali season :clapping:

Thanks man !! really happy when Non Customers appreciate your approach!!!
Really give me a chance to serve you that will be better evaluation!!!:lol::yahoo:

Yes I am a dealer but on smaller scale very very small , just for a hobby and support my shauks of audio ( and yes occasional indulgence of single malt & scotch!) :cheers::cheers:

I feel I need to serve reasonably well as small sellers like me thrives on reputation. You can cheat once but not forever. And once your reputation is sc**ed ,you are gone ( I have seen this happening with bigtime dealers! Some of our senior members are proof!)

And the best thing is when your customers talk about you in positive manner! I call such customers brand ambassadors!!! There are many forum members whom I sell ; too many who ( I think) are happy. That is why I get customers who are referred by other , or some senior members who bought from me twice , even thrice! ( In fact my good friends and senior arrangers of mumbai meet ( I am junior) are too my customers!!) again once there was issue due to logistics but my very good customer Alcy supported me instead of putting all the blame on me --- I was really moved by that!!

By the way when I am called dealer , I am saying not all the dealers are bad . If you find a good dealer savior him because he may pick up best of the stuff and give you good deal. (my collection is very small compared to bigwigs) So I am not against dealers In fact he HAVe to maintain his reputation and information can be easily passed in the day of net and google.

BTW Audio Freak my offfers are still open In fact thanks for endorsement I must offer you better prices ( you see my way of selling and getting milage!!) :clapping::yahoo:

For sellers on this forum - I must say that I had fantastic expereince with many ; & I hope I proved a good buyer!!:rolleyes::eek:hyeah:

Thank you once again and thanks all my customers!!

Thanks man !! really happy when Non Customers appreciate your approach!!!
Really give me a chance to serve you that will be better evaluation!!!:lol::yahoo:

Yes I am a dealer but on smaller scale very very small , just for a hobby and support my shauks of audio ( and yes occasional indulgence of single malt & scotch!) :cheers::cheers:

I feel I need to serve reasonably well as small sellers like me thrives on reputation. You can cheat once but not forever. And once your reputation is sc**ed ,you are gone ( I have seen this happening with bigtime dealers! Some of our senior members are proof!)

BTW Audio Freak my offfers are still open In fact thanks for endorsement I must offer you better prices ( you see my way of selling and getting milage!!) :clapping::yahoo:

For sellers on this forum - I must say that I had fantastic expereince with many ; & I hope I proved a good buyer!!:rolleyes::eek:hyeah:

Thank you once again and thanks all my customers!!

Bro,

Normally we can trust people whom we know on Preowned. Though you post your Items in some threads ,there is "Lack of Commercial Interest"(Which is rare to see in ppl's Mind)Thats the reason i trust you. You just give an Open statement like" I have some items ,and pls contact if you are interested".Many does a PROMO acts in defining their stuff, which you are not doing. I have considered the your Technics BS, and will get back to you soo. Pls intimate the if an preowned BS around 5-6 K is available.

Thanks for your service.

Every music lover love to have a decent setup but might not be in a position to Own a new due to the budget.You give them the way/

I find a large selection of vintage audio stuff in pune for some reason. Things to pop up in mumbai, NCR, and bangalore, but for a city the size of pune, there seem to be a disproportionately large number of listings on quikr etc. Any idea why?

I find a large selection of vintage audio stuff in pune for some reason. Things to pop up in mumbai, NCR, and bangalore, but for a city the size of pune, there seem to be a disproportionately large number of listings on quikr etc. Any idea why?
Well, as per 1 of the vintage dealer whom my friend knows, there are many used products come from Bollywood audiophiles who spend lots money in upgrading gears. Pune being close proximity offers good market for low cost used stuffs where here these are (or were) not easily available brand new.

I do sell quite a lot of my Turntables, amplifiers and speakers on OLX and Quicker. But i always mention my name. I have seen that many of the sellers do not reveal their names and I feel these are the ones one has to be extra careful about.

Thanks for the info. Very useful. I guess this applies too for For Sale by Owner Thread in Hifivision. May be we can open a Feedback thread for second hand AV products purchased online from olx etc.

Last edited:
I have received Bose 301 speaker in terrible condition.
And he send me after 15 days with so many SMS.
It was bad experience for me.

Back