Double Blind Test (DBT)

Re: Are CD Player still relevant?

The same is true in every hobby. Eg people buy 32"TVs while others buy projector setups worth thousands of dollars, or US$100 use and throw cameras vs medium format system which cost US$10k+ for a basic kit.

I am sorry but I am not getting what you are trying to say. My example was referring to people who used a cheap DVD player as CDP and Behringer Amp vs Classe, YBA, Wadia and MIT.

I am sorry but I am not getting what you are trying to say. My example was referring to people who used a cheap DVD player as CDP and Behringer Amp vs Classe, YBA, Wadia and MIT.

People in every hobby have a different level of engagement. For example, a photographer who publishes mural sized prints vs one who likes to click and share on facebook will have different needs. Similarly, people pay different levels of attention to music and use systems accordingly.

Personally, I have a similar thing on video - I dont really notice the difference between blu ray and DVD on a 50" plasma screen. That doesn't mean the difference isnt there - it just means that it is not important to the way I experience movies (even though I am someone who enjoys watching them).

Hi Ambio

I could also turn back and say if you cant hear a difference between a USD 700 cd player and a USD 12000 cd player, you might as well stick to mini combos:)

Forget apple to apple comparison this is not even fruit to any other fruit comparison. :) Do you sincerely believe stereotyping all of them as one bunch is a correct thing to do!:confused:

LOL

Why not? It applies to all who rather rely on their senses rather than science. To illustrate how poor is our hearing. Ask someone to play the same track everyday at 0.1dB difference and you try to guess the correct level. 0.1dB is too small? Ok...make it 1dB . Than, at least we can believe that the person who could hear the difference indeed in possession of super hearing. Ever seen any audiophiles tried to prove their hearing superiority by identifying pitch? phase? loudness? highest audible frequency? :)

To illustrate how poor is our hearing. Ask someone to play the same track everyday at 0.1dB difference and you try to guess the correct level. 0.1dB is too small? Ok...make it 1dB .

The next significant sound level is +/- 3 dB (from a given reference level). Human hearing acuity is not blessed with the ability to distinguish 0.1 dB difference (or even 1 dB), but most people can make out a difference when difference is of the order of 3 dB.

Hi Ambio

You are the one who mentioned you know people who can't hear any difference between a USD 700 and a USD 12000 player. I never mentioned anything. I think there is a huge difference between these two level of players

The next significant sound level is +/- 3 dB (from a given reference level). Human hearing acuity is not blessed with the ability to distinguish 0.1 dB difference (or even 1 dB), but most people can make out a difference when difference is of the order of 3 dB.

Really? The measurable difference in CDP is lesser than 0.1dB.... :confused:

Actually, you could tell 0.1dB after some training and side by side comparison. There must be a few recording engineers in this forum. Anyone?

Hi Ambio

You are the one who mentioned you know people who can't hear any difference between a USD 700 and a USD 12000 player. I never mentioned anything. I think there is a huge difference between these two level of players

Thinking is different than proving. The player is cheaper than US700.

Here is the link.. And I have tried many years to encourage fellow audiophiles over here to conduct similar experiment. No one would want to do except for a few. :(

Really? The measurable difference in CDP is lesser than 0.1dB.... :confused:

Just to be sure that we are both talking of the same thing, I was referring to change in loudness level. Thanks.

Hi Ambio

I trust my own ears and not others. I buy what I think floats my boat.

I think this threads should go on till we reach a closure. Here is one more prove which you can repeat at home and disprove.

$2000 Benchmark vs $2 Realtek Audio Codec. Sorry...again you cant tell. You are free to disprove this at your leisure.

Your point is that people who dont listen to music seriously cant hear differences between audio components? Similarly I dont notice a difference between blu ray and DVDs.

What does this have to do with the relevance of CD players? People who like listening to music on CDs use them. Others dont.

People have the capacity to think for themselves and decide whether to suffer neurosis or enjoy music by buying what's relevant based on science.

I thought listening to music was about enjoyment, not scientific perfection.

To me, the flow of music and how a system reproduces it is very important. However, there dont seem to be any commonly published figures for amps, cd players etc that measure this. If I go by your approach, my hearing or my brain is wrong and the relaxation I feel listening to music is actually an illusion. To take that to its ultimate conclusion, I should throw away all my gear and listen on something that is "scientifically" as good but doesnt actually bring me that relaxation/enjoyment.

Last edited:

Prem, I think you were the first one to bring vinyl into this thread to compare the sound. Can I now take your opinion as vinyl to be better than computer? Is it wrong if I were to ask why you said so because so and so showed the deficiency in vinyl?

SQ came much earlier than that. If this thread is about subjective preference than I am not interested unless someone is going to suggest that one medium is superior than the other. Difference possible but superior for 16 bit 44.1 kHz recording? I am not sure and have proposed to Ranjeet how to go about with his challenge.

As a responsible adult it is my duty to highlight the experts opinions to rebut subjective opinion. Let the readers decide which one they would prefer. I am sure someone out there would saved some money after reading the some many DBT results.

Last edited:

Hi ambio

It appears you don't trust your own ears. You need blind tests done to convince you of something. Good for you.

The opposite is true. if I don't hear the difference I don't care. I have immediate access to live unamplified sound for referance. If in opinion that someone with some standing stated otherwise than I use DBT. This is not religion that one could get away by telling have faith in me and trust your heart or in this case ears.

Rather than adding something useful for FMs, people are just pushing there arguments and challenging others by using useless testing method. So please add to the topic not to the confusion just for the sake of an argument

As a responsible adult it is my duty to highlight the experts opinion to rebut subjective opinion. Let the reader decides which one they would prefer. I

Please chose credible experts. Toms Hardware commenting on audio equipment doesnt qualify as an "expert", someone like Steve Hoffman would

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back