Downfall of Indian Blu rays

revolty

Hello forum members,

I have been contemplating to ask this to our forum members for a long time. Since a very long time, i have been thinking that why do indian movie industry do not think about us i.e. Home theater enthusiasts? Since the year 2015, no new Indian movies released in Blu ray apart from very few of Dharma productions, Yashraj films & few others. Tamil & telugu blu rays completely disappeared. Streaming services are there but it doesn't provide uncompressed audio & we can watch those movies only till the time it is in their library. There is the possibility of movies being transferred to other OTT services. Some OTTs like Zee5 don't even provide dolby 5.1 audio.
It is not that i am against theaters but in home, we can watch movie at our own convenience; whenever we feel like. Physical media like Blu rays are always better to OTTs, when it comes to SQ & PQ.
Few cases as given below:
1) Anjaan in Blu-ray vs Netflix
2) Padmaavat in Blu-ray vs Amazon prime
3) Siimba in Blu ray vs Zee5
Hands down, Blu ray wins hands down. I was waiting for Uri-the surgical strike to release in Blu-rays but it didn't release.
So, is it because of economical reasons that Indian film industry doesn't release Blu rays? or just because of minor percentage of Home theater owners? because of movie piracy? For flop or average movies, there can be the economical reasons but what about the blockbuster movies. I am sure the concerned producers can shell out some money for manufacturing Blu ray of that movie. Even Hollywood might be facing the same issues then how come there even B grade movies release in Blu rays, whereas we don't get even our Blockbusters movies also in Blu rays.
Isn't it a possibility that if it is so costly to manufacture, market & sell Blu rays; then the Production house can just upload an original master blu ray file to a portal. Then the regular customers can download the file after paying a minimal fee or charge.
My intention is not to hurt anybody but to seriously discuss with our forum members regarding this problem. Please excuse my wrong typing manners.

This is so true, i even tried to contact the maker of the movie KGF ( kannada) to find bluray for that movie but no leads on where to find, sad situation where OTT platforms have sub par AV quality and there are no other source to find high res content

Streaming services are there but it doesn't provide uncompressed audio
Is the audio in Blu Ray movies uncompressed? Is there a way to know that?

Overall, movies are seen (generally) as a one-time viewing (unless they become cult classics which one sees repeatedly). So intrinsically a streaming platform serves better than a physical copy. And then all those reasons you mentioned. Going by the speed of progress in AV quality of streaming platforms, most of those limitations could be soon overcome.

Personally, despite being an audio and cinephile, I haven’t yet gotten to using the classic Blu Ray player I bought from a FM a year ago and watching even the titles he packed along. In this period I must have seen 100s of movies on my preferred streaming platform - MUBI and some others. It’s just too much of a hassle! But in my case it might be due to the kind of movies I am more interested in - they don’t have much AV effects.

Overall, movies are seen (generally) as a one-time viewing (unless they become cult classics which one sees repeatedly). So intrinsically a streaming platform serves better than a physical copy. And then all those reasons you mentioned. Going by the speed of progress in AV quality of streaming platforms, most of those limitations could be soon overcome.

Personally, despite being an audio and cinephile, I haven’t yet gotten to using the classic Blu Ray player I bought from a FM a year ago and watching even the titles he packed along. In this period I must have seen 100s of movies on my preferred streaming platform - MUBI and some others. It’s just too much of a hassle! But in my case it might be due to the kind of movies I am more interested in - they don’t have much AV effects.
I differ on this opinion. And yes movies with AV effects matter.

There is noticeable difference in the Audio quality comparing to streaming (audio including on UHD contents). There is a considerable lack of Punch and transparencies (most of the time mid frequencies are bit muffled, lows are ok ) - ( especially Action and Sifi movies ) . I do not have any high end/sensitive system - but still make out the difference on the same hardware. That means hardware too could be limitation on this outlook
(in my case : streaming: TV->AVR , PC->AVR vs BlueRay(PS3)->AVR , PC->AVR)

as far as uncompressed : https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00029663

This is so true, i even tried to contact the maker of the movie KGF ( kannada) to find bluray for that movie but no leads on where to find, sad situation where OTT platforms have sub par AV quality and there are no other source to find high res content
Yes. In fact, even i had contacted them; but got no response. KGF was a blockbuster movie. It did very good business. But, still it didn't get any blu ray release.
If we have to be on par with the world cinema; then Blu ray has to be released. Otherwise, how can the non-indian audience will be able to get the true experience of Indian movies. Many of the Indian movies don't get released in theaters abroad.
I don't know that why Indian film industry doesn't give importance to their products. After working hard with so much resources invested behind a movie, how do they digest the fact that their product is being viewed on a small mobile screen with shitty audio & picture quality.

Hello forum members,

I have been contemplating to ask this to our forum members for a long time. Since a very long time, i have been thinking that why do indian movie industry do not think about us i.e. Home theater enthusiasts? Since the year 2015, no new Indian movies released in Blu ray apart from very few of Dharma productions, Yashraj films & few others. Tamil & telugu blu rays completely disappeared. Streaming services are there but it doesn't provide uncompressed audio & we can watch those movies only till the time it is in their library. There is the possibility of movies being transferred to other OTT services. Some OTTs like Zee5 don't even provide dolby 5.1 audio.
It is not that i am against theaters but in home, we can watch movie at our own convenience; whenever we feel like. Physical media like Blu rays are always better to OTTs, when it comes to SQ & PQ.
Few cases as given below:
1) Anjaan in Blu-ray vs Netflix
2) Padmaavat in Blu-ray vs Amazon prime
3) Siimba in Blu ray vs Zee5
Hands down, Blu ray wins hands down. I was waiting for Uri-the surgical strike to release in Blu-rays but it didn't release.
So, is it because of economical reasons that Indian film industry doesn't release Blu rays? or just because of minor percentage of Home theater owners? because of movie piracy? For flop or average movies, there can be the economical reasons but what about the blockbuster movies. I am sure the concerned producers can shell out some money for manufacturing Blu ray of that movie. Even Hollywood might be facing the same issues then how come there even B grade movies release in Blu rays, whereas we don't get even our Blockbusters movies also in Blu rays.
Isn't it a possibility that if it is so costly to manufacture, market & sell Blu rays; then the Production house can just upload an original master blu ray file to a portal. Then the regular customers can download the file after paying a minimal fee or charge.
My intention is not to hurt anybody but to seriously discuss with our forum members regarding this problem. Please excuse my wrong typing manners.
I feel the same way. Currently only YRF and Dharma productions care to release their films in Bluray. Though movies that release on Netflix and Amazon prime (& now Hotstar) don't sound like Bluray discs, but atleast they have 5.1 surround sound. What really pisses me off is when some good movie releases on zee5 or any other ott that doesn't have surround.
By the way I managed to get a Bluray rip with dts-hdma sound of URI surgical strike from ' You know where.'

Yes, Sachin ji,
I had watched a few youtube videos of comparison between Blu ray & streaming service quality of the same movies. As @sbg mentioned, there is difference in quality.
I hope we had some way to convey our feelings to the Industry or maybe had some representatives of the Industry in this forum.

The whole Bollywood in itself is degrading, why spending so much on Bluray of their movies. No story and no script...bad acting, bad casting :( zero melodies in music. What left? this is so unfortunate, it's a whole business duping viewers. People generally buy blurays for the effects they can feel with their HT ... even a good story movie can be watched on bluray. So people inclined towards Hollywood for speechless acting and mindblowing effects isn't?
There's nothing left in Bollywood except few actors which Bollywood don't want to cater to the public.. :(

The whole Bollywood in itself is degrading, why spending so much on Bluray of their movies. No story and no script...bad acting, bad casting :( zero melodies in music. What left? this is so unfortunate, it's a whole business duping viewers. People generally buy blurays for the effects they can feel with their HT ... even a good story movie can be watched on bluray. So people inclined towards Hollywood for speechless acting and mindblowing effects isn't?
There's nothing left in Bollywood except few actors which Bollywood don't want to cater to the public.. :(
Hello,
I do agree that this is the case with 80% of the hindi as well as Hollywood movies. But, i mentioned Indian film industry which includes south cinema as well. So, i will definitely like to watch the movies in Bluray. It might be that the movies, which i like; may not be liked by anyone else. So, it will be difficult to categorize that which movies should release in Blu ray.
Many members will be shocked to know that in recent time, i liked "Gunjan Saxena" movie. It was trashed by many reviewers. I would have definitely liked to watch it in Blu ray. Many people also felt that "The Irishman" was very lengthy but it loved it. It was released on Blu ray also.
I don't need Blu rays for movies like Baaghi 3 or Housefull 4. But, we never know that few people might have liked it and might be waiting for the Blu rays....;)

In our kannada film industry not make audio CDs # you expected bluray disc in kannada language. # only one kannada bluray disc made # title name Lucia staring ninasam satish # movie makers invested for me 20cr.30cr.or 5o cr for one movie , unfortunately makers didn't not release audio CDs very sad news for audio CDs collectors

It's the lack of good content and the relatively small size of the Home Video market in India. So, production houses are not interested to release the movies on BlueRay but the streaming platforms.

Investing in physical medium to reach a very small fraction of the audience is an added cost for producers. Even if discs are made, procuring them will be a challenge. While Blu-ray discs should have been there but practically it can't be!
Instead filmmakers can make the option of legally downloading digital copies of movies in various resolutions available. Starting from standard definition till 4k. And of course the price should be reasonable(I mean low). Nobody is going to pay 800 rs for Coolie number 1(2020 version). Apart from new releases, classics can be made available in this manner. If one gets a legal copy of original for say DDLJ/Charulata at rs 100/150 rs, one is less likely to download from torrent.

Investing in physical medium to reach a very small fraction of the audience is an added cost for producers. Even if discs are made, procuring them will be a challenge. While Blu-ray discs should have been there but practically it can't be!
Instead filmmakers can make the option of legally downloading digital copies of movies in various resolutions available. Starting from standard definition till 4k. And of course the price should be reasonable(I mean low). Nobody is going to pay 800 rs for Coolie number 1(2020 version). Apart from new releases, classics can be made available in this manner. If one gets a legal copy of original for say DDLJ/Charulata at rs 100/150 rs, one is less likely to download from torrent.
Yes, indeed. I totally agree with this. Maybe, we had a way to convey this to the Film Industry.

In our kannada film industry not make audio CDs # you expected bluray disc in kannada language. # only one kannada bluray disc made # title name Lucia staring ninasam satish # movie makers invested for me 20cr.30cr.or 5o cr for one movie , unfortunately makers didn't not release audio CDs very sad news for audio CDs collectors
Ok. I didn't know that Kannada industry doesn't releases Blu ray.

Return on investment is significantly low on Blu-Ray or any physical media in the current streaming world in India.
Forget Blu-Rays Even audio CDs are also dying. Remember those days Indian movies use to have Audio Release events where they release uncompressed 16/44.1 [600-900kbps] Audio CDs which were way better sounding than todays streaming movie songs.[max 320kbps]
On top of it we live in a land of scammers and Pirates [no disrespect to either of them]

Return on investment is significantly low on Blu-Ray or any physical media in the current streaming world in India.
Forget Blu-Rays Even audio CDs are also dying. Remember those days Indian movies use to have Audio Release events where they release uncompressed 16/44.1 [600-900kbps] Audio CDs which were way better sounding than todays streaming movie songs.[max 320kbps]
On top of it we live in a land of scammers and Pirates [no disrespect to either of them]
Yes, i forgot to consider Audio CDs. Thanks for bringing that up. Isn't it possible that Production house can provide the digital copy of the movie with various resolutions? We can download the copy after paying minimal fee.
This way the production house will be able to save the costs of procuring material, manufacturing, marketing, storing etc. I am not that technically sound so i am just guessing this idea. Other members can pitch in too.

iTunes and Amazon and few other sites provide digital copies of the movie at certain price before the Blu-ray release.
But it's not on the same level in terms on a/v quality of a Blu-ray.

iTunes and Amazon and few other sites provide digital copies of the movie at certain price before the Blu-ray release.
But it's not on the same level in terms on a/v quality of a Blu-ray.
OMG. I used to think those digital copies are the same as Blu-ray but just in digital format.

Yes, Sachin ji,
I had watched a few youtube videos of comparison between Blu ray & streaming service quality of the same movies. As @sbg mentioned, there is difference in quality.
I hope we had some way to convey our feelings to the Industry or maybe had some representatives of the Industry in this forum.
A good Bluray performance will be better than that of OTT as it may have compressed audio(OTT). Still there are certain factors like internet speed, hardware(even modem) affect OTT sound. When l compared Yamaha avr with Marantz, l found Yamaha was better to bring dynamics more than Marantz with same setup.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back