DSD players or LP which one to go.. both sound same ?

santosh4

I am in confusion to go for a DSD player or LP player. I see most of the time that DSD are ripped from LP's so is the LP has higher quality or is the DSD same as LP because it rips LP as loseless. Please guide.

Looking at maintenance cost.. as well LP I believe has more maintenance and also the availability..

Regards,
San

Not sure what you mean by DSD player? Unless you are referring to a network streamer or DAC with DSD capability.

In terms of availability LP is way more than DSD.

In terms of playback you can upsample even redbook FLAC or WAV to DSD with the likes of HQPlayer.

If you are totally into a vinyl setup then that makes sense, but for the money a DSD DAC with a PC makes more sense.

Also, a lot comes down to the content. Less than 1% is available in DSD, and most of that is limited western classical. DSD only makes sense if you are into that genre.

PS: A simpler solution is to use the PC and Bug Head Emperor player. You get the vinyl and DSD sound with it for all existing digital music, and its easier to put together and maintain than a vinyl rig.

vinyl is a different ball game all together. its not user friendly (no remote and for song selection you have to squint your eyes and place the needle in the right place). so if youre looking for that extra 2% improvement in SQ, and your setup is so good that it can showcase the added benefit, then you can think of an LP. it also means building an LP collection. imo, and LP player would be a secondary input rather than a sole input. if its either or, then just go with a regular dac that plays digital music

IMHO the Vinyl experience cannot be beaten by any DSD/DAC/ PC music experience. it is not just an aural experience but a visual and tactile one too. It is truly unique.

I would vote for SACD / DSD anyday. Vinyl has lots of haggles , cleaning both records and the cartridge, the life of the cartridge and records, the records background noise while a record is playing, clicks and clacks , warp, missing dynamic range etc etc. On the other hand if you have a proper SACD/DSD player you will get that proper analog feel or read that as warmth and that missing dynamic range without the aid of a mandatory sub or very expensive full range speaker. By SACD player I never meant the run of the mill Pioneer or Sony Universal Disc players you find a plenty. Look at Denon Yamaha and Marantz as starters ..... and their DCD , CD-S and SA series respectively!

Last edited:
I see most of the time that DSD are ripped from LP's so is the LP has higher quality or is the DSD same as LP because it rips LP as loseless.

Where did you read or learn that DSD's are ripped off vinyl? This can't be right.

To be honest, there really is no comparison between the two. Personally; I would love to own both. DSD is the new standard for delivering the highest possible audio quality. Vinyl has been around for ages. Some like it, some don't. With DSD, you get to play your music with the flick of a button on a remote. With vinyl, there is a lot to do before you get to hear anything.

I have never heard DSD so won't comment.

With vinyl, its all about the tonal quality and warmth of a recording.

You can start your vinyl journey with a starter LP player from Rega or Pro Ject. With DSD, there are a lot of options. Spend some time with each format and then spend more accordingly based on the format you like.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back