DTH Guide required

r85ahul

Hi All,

I am new to the forum, I have recently upgraded from 32" to 40". For the same I want to switch to dth from cable. On preliminary research I figured out that MPEG-4 (i.e Airtel/Videocon) is better than MPEG-2(i.e Tata Sky).

If that is true then which one is better Airtel/Videocon. Secondly if MPEG compression doesn't matter then which one to go for.

My only concern is PQ, I don't mind spending an extra 100-150 bucks for it.

I know there might be other threads, if this has been answered earlier somewhere then please help me with the thread link.

Regards
RC

Hi rahul,

Well for your information mpeg-4 and mpeg-2 are compression techniques and from the point of view of the operator mpeg-4 is better but from the end user point of view it does not matter.

Which cable are you using ? If you are using digital cable in Delhi then I do not think you will experience any difference in PQ. But you got to trust your eyes. As far as the different DTH operators go you can search the forum for user opinions. Search with the dth service operator keyword.

My only advice is, rule out airtel from your option. I am using airtel for past 3+ years. Recent past, they have started annoying like anything. When i searched for the infformation, many people has reported similar problems. Above all, CC is very very pathetic. They will literally test our patience to the core. Airtel STB has some issues. Some channels will work, some channel doesnt even though weather is normal and signals are fine. Not just me. This problem randomly happens sometime and then it gets recovered on its own, if wee are lucky. Else, we have to pay 150 rs everytime to technicians. They will just visit the house, check wires, connections this that and then say, weather might be th eproblem. Now everything is fine. But its not.

Not just this, they are keep on increasing the price every now and then.

I am planning to move to either videocon or tata sky. From tata sky website i could see that some channles are available only in mpeg-4 boxes. So i beleive mpeg-4 should be available with tata sky too.

Videocon is not a value for money nowadays.. They charge ?7720 for installation plus platinum HD..
If money does not matter, go for tatasky..
There is exclusive online offer going on for installation..
Every DTH operator charge ?170 for visit.. And you won't get any help from cc.. So you can only pay to god that you won't need it..

+1 for TATASKY quality wise. Recently came across a post in this forum, where it was mentioned - Airtel DTH setup box burnt the AVR circuit because of some tech issue.

Dear All,

Thanks a ton for the input. since I am occupied with office work :mad: I will finalize this on coming Saturday. As of now I will go with TSK.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back