Dth-hd broadcast

srikarkav

Hi Guys,

Here is some exciting news for all of you.

Sun Direct has launched HD services.

/www.hindu.com/2009/04/09/stories/2009040956431500.htm

cheers,
sridhar c

This is good news indeed. Only wondering what Indian content has been shot in HD? Hopefully at least they will start giving movies from Hollywood in HD.

Hi moser,

seems that they will give two channels first, one tamil movie and one telugu movie channels for starters.

cheers,
sridhar c

check this:
Sun Direct HD

Sun Direct HD
What is the expense for purchasing Sun Direct HD Set Top Box for experiencing the High definition service?

Price Rs.9,999 + taxes (Any basic pack must be purchased for 5 or 10 or 12 months for experiencing the service. Installation charge Rs. 1250 + HD content usage charge extra.)

Sun Direct HD
Tell me more about the content currently available on Sun Direct HD service?
Currently 2 South Indian Service (Tamil / Telugu) 24 hrs entertainment are available with Sun Direct HD service. We are tying up with National Geographic and Discovery channel soon.

Sun Direct HD
What is the monthly service access charge for the HD content available with Sun Direct HD service?
Rs.100 Per channel per month for Tamil and Telugu.

Sun Direct HD
Is there any advance booking for Sun Direct HD service?
No the same will be given on a first come first serve basis for the prospective customers

Last edited:
Hi Definition Set Top Box (Hardware) = Rs.9999 + Taxes
+
Standard Installation Charges = Rs.1250 + Taxes
+
HD Content Access Usage Charge = Rs 100 per Month per Channel
+
Basic Package Charge = Rs.499(5 Months) or Rs.999(10/12 Months

Makes me wonder how many Tamil and Telugu HD movies we have and what is their source.

They will probably do what Hollywood is doing i.e. convert all the latest/recent movies to HD format. SQ will probably remain in DTS/Dolby Digital instead of the HD formats, but who knows if we will even get that via DTH. Need to check the STB if it will have digital outs.

seems the STB has a HDMI out.

Anyway its too little for too much for now.

cheers,
sridhar c

100bucks for a channel:indifferent14: well there are many HD FTA english channels,if we can get a FTA HD stbs in india it will be great even if its priced around 5k,thats the price we pay for a good dvd player.

The initial expenses are huge around 15,000 rs over and above the recurring monthly costs of 100/HD channel.
If I could spend that kind of money, I would rather use the money to buy DVD's instead :)
What they transmit as regular channels and supposeldy " DVD like quality" comes nowhere near DVD quality. Going by their already set standards, i dont hope if the HD quality would be anywhere better than glorified DVD quality.

this sounds like a poor value proposition, but it's great news, because at least it's a beginning for the market, now once the other players get on the bandwagon, we can probably see some price rationalisation.....i wouldn't want to be an early adopter for this, especially since i don't watch tamil or telugu, but i think this is a good sign that by end-2009 we'd have a decent set of options for HD DTH services.

I don't mind paying 10k as an initial cost, but 100 bucks per channel is rubbish. I am okay paying maybe 100 bucks per month total over and above what i pay for my normal package, and this is if i get ar least 4-5 channels that i WANT to watch in HD, like sports channels or movie channels. Let's hope this kind of pricing situation comes about.

It's a start at least if nothing else, the way i look at it, HD has still a long way to go in India, another year or two max, even then pricing and no o channels will play a vital role, as people are still happy with the good old cable and not switched to DTH, so switching to HD will take time

this sounds like a poor value proposition, but it's great news, because at least it's a beginning for the market, now once the other players get on the bandwagon, we can probably see some price rationalisation.....i wouldn't want to be an early adopter for this, especially since i don't watch tamil or telugu, but i think this is a good sign that by end-2009 we'd have a decent set of options for HD DTH services.

I don't mind paying 10k as an initial cost, but 100 bucks per channel is rubbish. I am okay paying maybe 100 bucks per month total over and above what i pay for my normal package, and this is if i get ar least 4-5 channels that i WANT to watch in HD, like sports channels or movie channels. Let's hope this kind of pricing situation comes about.

According to the guy at the Sun DTH stall at the Jainsons Electronic Fest, its going to be one Tami and one English channel and, again according to him, they would be telecasting new movies on both these channels.

Regds

Is HD broadcast necessary?

ie.If manufactures add upscaling technology in settop as DVD players,price can go marginally High ,but we can have good PQ on LCD.

Budget upscaling DVDp starts from 3.5,so settop can also be made available in same price level.

Oh yes, there is a huge difference between the upscaled version of 4:3 interlaced SD signal and 16:9 720P/1080i native HD signal.

As you know the NTSC signal is 480i, and PAL is 576i; that is only half the lines at a time. So effectively both the resolution and the refresh rates are even lower than they appear through these numbers. When a 16:9 movie is letter boxed on a 4:3 picture, it is using less than 55% of the available resolution on a 16:9 TV. So it is up to you to calculate how many lines you get for the movie on an SD TV signal. It is a challenge to upscale such a picture. It is much worse than than upscaling a 16:9 DVD picture.

I have used upscalers for DVD and TV signal, 720P/1080i/1080P Blu-ray disks, and 720P/1080i HDTV in the US. There is a marked difference. The interesting part is that HD TV picture just looks good, but not out of this world. It is the switch back to SD which is shocking. You cannot watch SD TV once you get used to HDTV. Clarity in the HDTV picture is like salt in the dish, where you notice the absence of it more consciously than when it was present.

Thanks,
Sharad

Is HD broadcast necessary?

ie.If manufactures add upscaling technology in settop as DVD players,price can go marginally High ,but we can have good PQ on LCD.

Budget upscaling DVDp starts from 3.5,so settop can also be made available in same price level.

The point here is the quality of the incoming signal. I simply refuse to believe that all the tataskys and suns and airtels really give us dvd quality in their basic transmissions.
Even if we upscale these substandard signals, i am not sure if we will end up with DVD qulaity picture- forget HD quality.
SO, in that sense, HD does make a case of better inputs..

To add salt to the wounds, as we all know- a dvd has a resolution of 0.5MP whereas a full HD 1080p is equivalent to 2MP. Hence, a Full HD is 4 times as clear as a DVD.
And Sun TV says that their picture is going to be 5 times as clear as existing transmission.. So where does that put the quality of existing transmission?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back