Dual 1209 turntable

Beginner_N

Hi All,

I recently got hold of Dual 1209 turntable in working condition. It has broken plinth which I plan to build new, found plinth dimensions on web will be getting CNC cut. Anyone has Dual TT? any suggestions for me on use and maintenance?

Regards,
Beginner

I have no experience with this model but like many vintage idler drive turntables, it will have a rather thin top plate but powerful motor. If you can design a heavy multi layered plinth in such a way that the sheet metal top plate gets the maximum support, it will drain away much of the vibration from the motor, taking it to a much higher performance class.

The other thing you can do in future is to install a better arm.

The other thing that I suggest changing are the RCA cables on DUAL. They get old and oxidized. You will do well to replace with a new high quality pair. Multilayer plinth is a great idea and ofcourse opting for a decent high compliance cartridge would be good too as DUAL arms are light weight for that series.

There are many DUAL owners on this forum including me (I have a DUAL 721 and 1019). You can get a ton of information on Vinyl Engine - The Home of the Turntable for DUALS.

Cheers

Thank you! for such a quick response. I saw that it has 110V supply, do I need special step down or normal would suffice?

I read on one of the forum regarding replacing spring dampner with rubber pad. Is it a good idea?

Regards,

European market Duals usually have 220/110 volt motors. The switch is on the connector block. You have to open it up and check. Read this to understand how to open it.
How to open Dual turntables for servicing - Vinyl Engine

In case it is 110 volts only motor, you need to confirm that the pully is 50Hz. A 60Hz pully shall cause it to run about 20% slow.

A stepdown transformer of minimum 25 watts is sufficient.

HTH

These Dual idler wheel turntables are very sturdy. They have usually quite thick idler wheel and very heavy platter and this leaves little room for rumble noise. I have two 1019 both with modified plinth and I have just bought a Dual 1229 also. I must say that these models especially the 1019 are going to be much sort after in future for modification. I do not have much experience with 1209.

Congrats on your acquisition. Duals are great turntables, perhaps the most under-rated. They've also been often compared to their English cousins (Garrard). I've never owned one but have heard many. Great sounding tables. The only niggle I though was their non-standard headshells. Our neighbour had an old Dual. Helped him restore it and sell it off. I've found their auto mechanism to be quite troublesome, needs accurate calibration to function properly. I may sound a bit biased here but Garrard's auto mechanisms perhaps are a bit more reliable.

Hi all,

Need some help. I opened mains connector box, buts wasnt able to figure how to make connections for 220V. It has diagram inside showing 110V and 220V. But never done it so completely lost :)

Thanks,
Nishant

Hope you have resolved your issues with Dual 1229 by now.
If not let me know. Will help you.

Thanks Sacheen!

I am working on Plinth done with cutting now pasting work pending.

I need help in converting 110V to 220V there is diagram available on box but I dont have clue of electrical diagram.

Regards,
Nishant

I need help in converting 110V to 220V there is diagram available on box but I dont have clue of electrical diagram.

Regards,
Nishant

Do post pictures of the power connection diagram and the photo of the actual power tag block.

I have a Dual 701 which I picked up abroad for a song but it isn't in a working condition. However, it looks to be in good shape and can possibly be restored. It was at one time reputed to be the world's quietest turntable.

There is a guy in the US who fixes Duals and I was in touch with him but it would be quite a hassle for me to send the TT to him for repairs and it'd also cost me a bomb.

Can anybody help with this one?

Cheers

Do post pictures of the power connection diagram and the photo of the actual power tag block.

Here are the picture regarding help i need for 110V to 220V.
3f29465.jpg

40e1bba.jpg

Thank you!

The second picture shows how to wire the voltage for 220V operation by shifting the yellow wire from pin 5 to 6.

Do you see a pin number 6 on the first picture? If you identify pin 6, it looks like a simple matter of unscrewing the yellow wire from pin 5 and plugging it to pin 6.

If you're not confident, you could take it to a local electronics repair person to crosscheck, and make the change for you.

Those Dual connection boxes are usually tight and hard to work with.

There is a little trick to removing those wires from the connection
box without damaging the pins. Insert/loop a very thin
wire (old transformer/magent wire) under the connector and use that
to gently pull it up the pin. You may have to press down on the pin
with a finger while pulling the connector up.
Be very careful not to apply side pressure to the plastic divider walls
between terminals or you will break the plastic switch box

Also it is safer to replace that capacitor. A .01uf 630V or 1000V film cap
should work.

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back