Dual Boot : OpenELEC/LibreELEC + Windows 10?

balzac

Hi All,

During my weekend project today, I tried to do a Dual Boot of OpenELEC & Windows 10 on my NUC. I followed the steps mentioned in the following blog:

HowTo: Dualboot Windows 10 und LibreELEC / OpenELEC - Technikaffe.de

I followed the instruction to the T. But, at the end it was unsuccessful as I was not able to see the OpenELEC entry while booting. Didn't understand the EASYBCD aspect of it.

If someone has achieved this.

Kindly, share the steps if someone achieved the same.

Cheers!

Ok I dont remember exacly the steps, how I achieved it, but I can give you pointes ONLY and you have to google for details and try, experiment by yourself ... its been more than a year I did this...

What I did was to use an EFI boot manager and a USB key.

Installed Windows 10 in EFI mode onto the internal hard disk.

Separately installed OpenELEC in EFI mode onto a fast Sandisk USB drive.

Installed rEFInd Boot Manager (https://sourceforge.net/projects/refind/) to the EFI partition of the HDD. Set the BIOS boot priority to the HDD.

When the USB is plugged in, I get a graphical boot menu to choose between OpenELEC and Windows. If I don't have the USB drive plugged in boots straight to Windows

Now this experiment was when I tried openELEC from USB Drive and personaly as long as media is on NAS I saw no differece... But later I did opt for proper installation on SSD, opting out of dual boot.

As I said this is just a rough sketch of wht I did. how I did I dont remember, but I did face few road blocks,but managed to complete it.

You might give it a shot as well.

Last edited:
Ok I dont remember exacly the steps, how I achieved it, but I can give you pointes ONLY and you have to google for details and try, experiment by yourself ... its been more than a year I did this...

What I did was to use an EFI boot manager and a USB key.

Installed Windows 10 in EFI mode onto the internal hard disk.

Separately installed OpenELEC in EFI mode onto a fast Sandisk USB drive.

Installed rEFInd Boot Manager (https://sourceforge.net/projects/refind/) to the EFI partition of the HDD. Set the BIOS boot priority to the HDD.

When the USB is plugged in, I get a graphical boot menu to choose between OpenELEC and Windows. If I don't have the USB drive plugged in boots straight to Windows

Now this experiment was when I tried openELEC from USB Drive and personaly as long as media is on NAS I saw no differece... But later I did opt for proper installation on SSD, opting out of dual boot.

As I said this is just a rough sketch of wht I did. how I did I dont remember, but I did face few road blocks,but managed to complete it.

You might give it a shot as well.

I had the similar setup where I had LibreELEC installed on my Pen Drive. Using the Visual Boot option of Intel NUC, I was able to select whenever my pendrive was connected.

Now, while installing LibreELEC on a partition it gets installed with partition format as FAT. But, what I have noticed is it I would have to install the application with 'ext4' format.

Is there a way to enforce the LibreELEC installation in the 'ext4' format?

I have spent the last 2 days trying to get it running. But, all resulted to nothing. :(

Achieved.

The direction mentioned in the following thread.

Last edited:
[Solved] Dual Boot : OpenELEC/LibreELEC + Windows 10?

Guys,

After spending the last few days with the NUC, Finally was able to achieve the DUAL boot of Windows 10 & LibreELEC.

Had to a digging and multiple rounds of Installation cycle was able to achieve the same by the guide mentioned in the below link:

OpenELEC Mediacenter - OpenELEC Forum - Confused trying to install OpenElec with Win 10 (1/1)

I hope this helps other who want to achieve the same.

Cheers!

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back