sam9s NAS Project! powered by Unraid!!

how much did you pay for the CM elite? on flipkart I found this Cooler Master Thunder 450W 450 Watts PSU | Psu | Flipkart.com

will this work or need to buy more higher end ones

I got it for 2900, I have mentioned that in the first page of this thread ... :).
And yes the one you have posted will work with your NAS with ease

but between extreme and thunder what would be the basic difference, also i see one feature single 12 v rail vs 2 12 volt rail, is that of any advantage?

and on flipkart there is another one Reviews: Cooler Master GX 450 Watts PSU Review: PSUs | Flipkart.com

2 12 volt rails PSUs are advisable on high end gaming machines with multi GPUs, coz the load is very high ..... normally you dont need multiple rails.

Of the two PSU you have listed I would prefer the GX one.

Also reagrding cooling how effective are these fans for cooling off a hdd, I have avery old 2001 cabinet to reuse for the time being with no ventillation
Branded EVERCOOL Desktop Computer PC Hard Disk Cooler for 3.5" | eBay

For the side of the cabinet I plan to install one or two of these by drilling holes (square)
Cooler Master 120MM Pc Computer Cabinet Gaming Case Fan 1200RPM 44CFM NEW BILL | eBay

HDD cooler fans are advisable if for some reason your ambient temperatures are very high, and your HDD is crossing and remaining at 50+ C on normal working conditions, which usually is rare.

Just need to make sure that the cabinet is well ventilated, with correct airflow circulation. Usually the configuration is ... one or two inlet fans at the bottom back side of the case and one or two outlet fans on the top of the cabinet. Since hot air rises (the outlet should be at the top) this is the recommended fan set up for any computer case. If you have a fan at the bottom front as well then preferably there should be only one fan at bottom back and two fans at the top (for out let).

If this config is not able to maintain temps for the HDD or CPU, then either the ambient temperature is too high/humid or the case is blocked and placed at a cluttered location. In that case either try changing the location or if it still does not improve temp, then you can go for these HDD fans or/and dedicated TP CPU cooler as well.

Placed order for cpu, mobo and psu. Will buy a few cabinet fans later on. Initial few days after delivery will test with my 32gig ssd and different OS :) thanks all.

^^ Congratulations!!... :) .... Dont wast your 32GB SSD on NAS ..... BTW share your order with us as well ... I mean what all you ordered .... :)

^^ You can, but whats the point,

First if you would use any linux varient of NAS OS like Unraid, FreeNAS or OVM, its so small that its gonna run via a pendrive .....

Second :: Linus variant of NAS OS just boots via pendrive, and sits on ram runs via it. The OS itself is so small.... it hardly takes a minute for it to boot from pendrive and start running from RAM

Even if you are using Windows Server as your NAS OS, it would in all probability will just serve the function of booting, and rest of the functionality would be done via your normal HDDs inside your array. (movies, music. files etc)

You your SSD is redundant just after boot.

SSD is usefull when you are doing lots of reads n write from it. Like for example a normal desktop or a gaming machine, which have office applications, games, Virtualization, or all sorts of software and applications that run via C drive. SSD shines in that case when these applications open and do their takes at blazing speeds. \

With a NAS all you do from OS is to boot and rest is done from your network. 95% of the time your SSD wont even be used .........think about it ...

^^ You can, but whats the point,

First if you would use any linux varient of NAS OS like Unraid, FreeNAS or OVM, its so small that its gonna run via a pendrive .....

Second :: Linus variant of NAS OS just boots via pendrive, and sits on ram runs via it. The OS itself is so small.... it hardly takes a minute for it to boot from pendrive and start running from RAM

Even if you are using Windows Server as your NAS OS, it would in all probability will just serve the function of booting, and rest of the functionality would be done via your normal HDDs inside your array. (movies, music. files etc)

You your SSD is redundant just after boot.

SSD is usefull when you are doing lots of reads n write from it. Like for example a normal desktop or a gaming machine, which have office applications, games, Virtualization, or all sorts of software and applications that run via C drive. SSD shines in that case when these applications open and do their takes at blazing speeds. \

With a NAS all you do from OS is to boot and rest is done from your network. 95% of the time your SSD wont even be used .........think about it ...

I believe I would probably try both linux (unraid) and win2k8 (Flexinas) options. If windows, then I think will gain on booting time, presently the Dlink DNS323 boots in less than a minute not sure how much it is for Win2K 8

There is no point in putting an SSD just for decreasing booting time for 30-40 sec. After booting ur NAS.... OS does nothing much. As I said after NAS boots, all is loaded on to ur RAM, and your SSD become redundant .....Use it on your regular desktop PC or your HTPC maybe

I am getting your point sam, however I guess presently I do not have spare hdd to experiment windows 2k8 apart from this spare ssd, since the other one I had was the 80GB normal 5400 rpm drive but that is being used by htpc and has a bd writer attached so wanted to keep it at least 50+ GB. Also if this is a windows based implementation then I guess having a ssd will help during upnp server indexing etc right?

^^ I dont want to burst your bubbles, if you have decided to use SSD in NAS, but it virtually would not help in anything except to improve boot time, that too incase of Windows.

UPnP server indexing is nothing man, even my logitech indexing that squeezebox server does for around 8000+ songs takes just 2-3 minutes. Plus you would not be storing songs on ur SSD, that would be in ur regular 5200 rpm HDD Array, so it would not make any difference ...

Anyway if you have decided, its ok .... let all your parts come and then share when assembled ... :)

Hi Sam, thanks for inspiring me to build a unRaid NAS, this thread is very informative. Though I have technical background never ventured DYI but now I think its time i get my hands dirty :) I already have a synology 4 bay NAS which I am using for my personal stuff. Now I'm thinking of building a NAS for my media alone.

I do lot of bluray iso rips for my PCH and I need a scalable . Please do suggest best components, meanwhile I am reading all about DIY. I was thinking of 15 bay case with 3GB RAM and a Mobo with gigabit bit in....

I would like to build a 15 bay unRaid NAS with a good looking case. Since I don't have wired network at my home I have to place this NAS in living room close to my PCH hence it needs to look nice. Do let me know your inputs......though i might take time to build this, I am sure building it :)

Hi Sam, thanks for inspiring me to build a unRaid NAS, this thread is very informative. Though I have technical background never ventured DYI but now I think its time i get my hands dirty :) I already have a synology 4 bay NAS which I am using for my personal stuff. Now I'm thinking of building a NAS for my media alone.

I do lot of bluray iso rips for my PCH and I need a scalable . Please do suggest best components, meanwhile I am reading all about DIY. I was thinking of 15 bay case with 3GB RAM and a Mobo with gigabit bit in....

I would like to build a 15 bay unRaid NAS with a good looking case. Since I don't have wired network at my home I have to place this NAS in living room close to my PCH hence it needs to look nice. Do let me know your inputs......though i might take time to build this, I am sure building it :)

Hi manniraj, I think you can pretty easily look at some of the thermaltake cabinets I am also looking for. Budget is important. Look at thermaltake armour + mx mid tower chasis. But with these cabinets unless you use 4 in 3 or 5 in 3 sata cages it might be difficult to fit in 9 or 10 + drives.

Sent from my Galaxy Pro Duos via Tapatalk

Thanks , sure will look into thermaltake cases. I really wanted Lian Li cabinets though they are expensive but its not available in India. Ebay has couple of models which are not that good. I really liked the cases used by Lime Technologies for their prototype builds.

@haisaikat did you go with ASUS M5A88-M Motherboard? Its out of stock in flipkart and in ebay its 6000K....where did u bought it from?

@haisaikat did you go with ASUS M5A88-M Motherboard? Its out of stock in flipkart and in ebay its 6000K....where did u bought it from?

Yes I went for that since that was the only budget mobo with six sata 6 ports and lot of usbs and also one full pci e 16 for addning sata card in future. Last month it was in stock at flipkart but costed 5.5k only

Try itdepot

My assembling is complete but now stuck at case selection. In worst case will go for case modding may be by damaging the aesthetics slightly. Also read case reviews for temperature readings at idle and full load on internet

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back