DVD-Audio Player

sunrace

I have bought Onkyo HT3100 and I am looking for a DVD Player which can play DVD-Audio and SACD formats including everything which a player like LG 388 can play (this is the player which I was told to buy while buying Onkyo - I don't think the rep at the store cared about DVD-Audio at all).

So I need help regarding which player should I buy and if that is going to be available in Mumbai, India. Second thing, is there any store in Mumbai which stores DVD-Audio albums - I am aware by now that there are very few which will be there but I want to hear 5.1 songs at least once....atleast keep one DVD-A so that I can explain to the friends and family about the wisdom of having 5.1 system.....right now they don't find any difference between a normal stereo system and Onkyo....nor do I to be frank....

Can some one help me?

Thanks for the suggestion Spiro....does it do the 5.1 Decoding as well? that is PCM and Bit-Stream thing? Sorry if I am sounding stupid while asking this...right now I am googling for it...

Thanks for the suggestion Spiro....does it do the 5.1 Decoding as well? that is PCM and Bit-Stream thing? Sorry if I am sounding stupid while asking this...right now I am googling for it...

Yes it decodes Dts too(5.1) ie analoge output. It can send Raw/PCM as digital out.Many forum members have it & very happy.

The 610 does have the following:

• DVD-Audio Compatibility
  • SACD Multi Compatibility
  • 192 kHz/24-bit D/A Converter (6ch)
  • DTS 96/24 Decoder
  • DTS 5.1-Channel Decoder Yes
  • DTS 2-Channel Downmix Output Yes
  • Dolby Digital 5.1-Channel Decoder Yes

It is also capable of sending multichannel data both as LPCM and as raw/bitstream.

It also has independent analogue audio out for each of the 5.1 channel.

Cheers

Second thing, is there any store in Mumbai which stores DVD-Audio albums

Rhythm House at Kala Ghoda should be your best bet. I remember seeing several Classical album SACD's there.

And +1 to Pioneer 610, one of the most versatile Universal Players out there; been using it since Feb'09 without any glitch. I rate it a very good buy, and a big thanks to all HFV members who recommended it in their posts.

Last edited:
The 610 does have the following:

• 192 kHz/24-bit D/A Converter (6ch)
  • DTS 96/24 Decoder
  • DTS 5.1-Channel Decoder Yes
  • DTS 2-Channel Downmix Output Yes
  • Dolby Digital 5.1-Channel Decoder Yes

It is also capable of sending multichannel data both as LPCM and as raw/bitstream.

It also has independent analogue audio out for each of the 5.1 channel.

Cheers
I am getting Beresford 7520 DAC which has only 96Khz DA and the player in question Pio 610, has only 192Khz Ato D converter according to its specification. I guess the digital out from the player cant be decoded by my DAC.

Hi Sunrace,

Also try to check out Cambridge Audio DV99. Even though it takes a little more moolah(13k-14k) it is worth every penny. It also very good for music. Previously i was using HT3100 and it made a difference overall. However try to change the front Speakers, it will make a significant difference to stereo playback.

Cheers
S

I am getting Beresford 7520 DAC which has only 96Khz DA and the player in question Pio 610, has only 192Khz Ato D converter according to its specification. I guess the digital out from the player cant be decoded by my DAC.

The DA conversion of the player does hold hold any value when you are sending data in digital form. If you send the data to a DAC, you are sending it in digital form and only the DAC's specifications will come into play. The Beresford will certainly be able to decode any digital data sent as two channel audio.

Cheers

Hi,

I have the Onkyo 3100 and Oppo 980H DVDP which is capable of all you require. But the one hitch is the AVR of 3100 does not have the DSD processing capability which is required to play high resolution audio like SACD and DVD-Audio.I have not tried SACD in my setup. The DVD-audio disc of Hotel California is being played like a DVD Video by the AVR. The result i am not getting the high resolutiion audio.

cheers,
sri

Hi,

Pio-610 costs around 6.5 k grey in Chennai. If you want it with bill and warranty it may be more than 8k.

cheers,
sri

Hi venu,

You can get it at the famous Burma Bazar. But you need to go to a shop which is already known to your friends or relatives to avoid duplicate DVDPs.

cheers,
sri

srikarkav,

Does that mean that DVD-A can not be listened to using 3100? How sad is that.... I mean I was told that as long as 3100 gets optical input... it can reproduce.... :(....Was it a wrong choice of AVR then? If what you are saying it true then it is not worth spending money for anything which can play DVD-A....

I am thinking between following hardware...comparison comments welcome...

Cambridge Audio DVD99
Onkyo DV-SP506
Pioneer 610
Pioneer Elit DV-58AV

Hi,

The 3100 AVR as i said will give the output of any DVD-Audio which can be played on any normal DVD player.But it can be heard as the audio from a DVD-video disc. Can't get the high resolution audio. We have to get an AVR which is having this DSD signal support.Bitter it may sound, but it is the truth. I was also disappointed like you when i realized it.

Among the DVDPs you have mentioned i can't really comment on them as i have not used them.But the Pio and DV99 enjoy a good reputation here in the forum.
About dv99 you can give a PM to our young friend sushanthc.

cheers,
sri

Last edited:
I am thinking between following hardware...comparison comments welcome...

Cambridge Audio DVD99
Onkyo DV-SP506
Pioneer 610
Pioneer Elit DV-58AV

Hi,

I have just purchased Pioneer Elite DV 58AV (sold as DV LX50 in Asia/ Europe). Amazing Player for all type of Formats, both in 5.1 Channel as well as dedicated 2 Channel stereo
  • Has dedicated 2 Channel RCA Outs - separate from 5.1 Channels
  • Has Pure Audio function - which minimises all digital interference
  • Clear and Warm Sounding
  • Very good Build Quality

@srikarkav,

In the DV99 there is an option where we can choose if we want to play DVD-audio discs as DVD-Video or DVD-Audio. My best guess is in this case the decoding is done here...only my guess.. Can you throw more light on this(may be there is a similar option in Oppo)?

@sunrace

I have auditioned both the OnkyoDV-SP506 and CA DV99 when i made the purchase.

Picture quality-Onkyo is almost equal to CA, the only factor was the skin tones were more natural on the Onkyo and the picture was a little more vivid
Sound quality- CA beats the Onkyo hands down in this department even in DVD playback
Bells and Whistles- Definitely the CA scores over the Onkyo here

So overall i fell for the CA DV99. I am not sure about Pioneer though(never auditioned much)

Cheers
S

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back