DVD detection problem in PHILIPS HD4750

Well, i called them that day itself. But the personnel showed up just today. IDK if it were the ezone people who were lazy, or the philips ones.

Anyways, the issue is resolved now. :yahoo:

He just opened up the DVDP and cleaned up the lenses and it worked! :cool:

As simple as that.

IDK why my Lens Cleaner CD wasn't able to solve this stupid problem. I better buy an original Philips lens Cleaner Disc for any similar issues in future.

Hi Abhy,

How did he clean the lens? a solution or a soft anti-static cloth?
I too have similar problems with my Akai DVDP and also on my PC.

BTW, I too own a Philips 4750, recently thru' EZONE and my experience is that reaching the Philips people directly is faster than calling the EZone guys.

Cheers

Re: DVD detection problem in PHILIPS HTS4750

Coming back on Hifivison after a while now :)

I didnt want to touch this topic the last time i left it, but i'm unlucky :(

It's 3 months now since the Philips guy solved my issue, but that problem didn't really vanish fully. It showed up a bit in 10 days after he left. Got an Original Philips Lens Cleaning DVD (dry). It did solve the issues, but the problem kept showing up after 4-7 days, each time i used the Cleaning CD. Then IDK why, but even the effect of CD cleaner started fading off. And now since a month, CD cleaner Disc is totally ineffective. Now, only 20 percent of original DVD's are working fine in my DVD player. Ones without much scratches.

20 days ago, I complained it to philips, that same guy came again, and he agreed that the lens indeed is defective. But another issue now - they still don't have spare lens yet. Said they are trying to get one. Called up 3 times, still saying "5 more days sir" everytime :mad: It's been 15 days now. I'm a DVD rental customer too, and this delay is wasting my money too. Really frustrated. Should i ask for a replacement from E-Zone? (I purchased it from them actually)

Btw, anything i can do to solve this issue in future? I tried almost everything mentioned in this topic till now.

I had a simple samsung DVD player for 3 years before this one. Never used a DVD lens cleaner CD, used any Low Quality/ Scratched DVD's to play, never covered it and it didn't complain even for a single time. How can latest electronic stuff be so frustrating?

P.S. - If there any admin or moderator here, please change the model name in this topic name to "HTS4750" instead of "HD4750". Sorry, didnt realise it earlier and had a long time to find this topic back lol.

Last edited:
Re: DVD detection problem in PHILIPS HTS4750

Abhy: Sorry to hear that man. Mine used to happen now and then but not that frequently.

One thing I used to notice is, is there any DVD that always plays? For example, I had a single layer DVD which always played. So when a dvd was not playing, I used to play this single layer dvd for 2 mins and then load the other DVD and it used to play.

Just try and see.

Get on phone and see if you can get the philips service head or someone.

Madbullram said:
Get on phone and see if you can get the philips service head or someone.

I just tried, the person won't listen :( and assured me he will have the spare part coming this saturday.

And i have a some DVD's in good condition. I'll try it and get back.

Working properly now, everything working :yahoo:

He came on sunday and got the lens changed. That's probably because i talked rudely to Philips people on saturday after they asked to wait another 2 days, lol.

Hope this issue won't show up again. Was very frustrating.

I am having the exact same problem with my old Philips LX3600D/69 (HTiB). The issue is that they do no offer any warranty on the lens and if it does not work after he installs it, it's your responsibility. They charge around 800 bucks for the lens and around 400 service charges. The lens change itself comes up to around 1500 and that too without any warranty.

How can one ensure that they are putting in genuine Philips lens. That's the sad part. Any idea about this?

I am having the exact same problem with my old Philips LX3600D/69 (HTiB). The issue is that they do no offer any warranty on the lens and if it does not work after he installs it, it's your responsibility. They charge around 800 bucks for the lens and around 400 service charges. The lens change itself comes up to around 1500 and that too without any warranty.

How can one ensure that they are putting in genuine Philips lens. That's the sad part. Any idea about this?

Is that in a Philips Service station?

even I got the same problem with my old philips HTIB. They charged me 1500rs for lens. It worked for 3 months and the problem occurred again. I was not about to buy any philips HTIB because of this previous bad experience. But due to my budget and also I read lots of good reviews on this forum I bought this model, thinking it must has improved quality of lenses they have used. But I guess they have the problem in lenses for most of the models. I havent heard about any other brand with the same problem, like sony, samsung...anyone in this forum has the same problem other than philips..?

Is that in a Philips Service station?

Yes - If the outsourced servicing can be called a Philips Official Service Stations.

Basically, Philips have tied up with local repair shops and given them a Philips authorized service station categories. I had really bad experience with them.

When I had the lens issue, the service engineer came to my house and sprayed compressed air on the lens to clean it and charged me rs. 300 as service charges. The next day the DVD goes kaput again (and I use only legal high-quality DVDs - that too not the local 100-200 bucks one) and when i complained the same guy comes and sprays the canister and it works again. The third day, the same problem comes up and I call up the service station and tell them about this. They tell me on the phone that lens is weak. On my complaining about why did they not tell me in the first place and hwo can they decide on this now on the phone without even checking it !!!

When I raised this issue with Philips, I was advised to request a senior engineer come to my place. I did that and guess who comes up - the same mechanic who had already visited my place twice !!! And this was for a complaint escalation. They tell me without opening the player that the lens is weak and that it has to be replaced. The lens would be Philips and it would not carry any warranty - not even 2-3 days !!

I felt extremely let down. I don't mind paying 1500 if they can at least give me 6 months warranty. The moment some manufacturer say that the product does not carry any warranty, it would imply to me that they are not confident about the quality of their own product.

Extremely unhappy customer experience with Philips. I cannot even change the DVD source for the fear or mismatching the speakers - Their HTiB have speakers which have proprietary connectors and I am not a DIY person to change them to regular RCA jacks. This means that I cannot dump that DVD player and get a new one to replace it.

I am really sad to hear it. At least in Chennai it aint bad. But philips is known for wonderful products and pathetic service. I don't think they can put a lens with 0 guarantee. Did you talk to Philips customer about what this engineer said?

Once this happened to me with my HTiB, and I sent a letter with my problem to Philips with a copy to my Local Consumer Redressal forum and the problem was rectified in 5 days. May be you can try that if nothing works.

Gurgaon

(Corporate Office and Northern Regional Office)

Visit / Write

Philips Electronics India Limited
9th Floor, DLF 9-B,
DLF Cyber City,
Sector 25, DLF Phase - 3,
Gurgaon - 122002, India.

Call

Tel : +91 - 124 - 4606000
Kolkata

(Registered Office and Eastern Regional Office)

Visit / Write

7, Justice Chandra Madhab Road,
Kolkata - 700020, India.

Call

Tel : +91 - 33 - 24753621 / 27
Bangalore

Visit / Write

The Estate, 4th floor (North Wing),
(Next to Manipal Centre),
121, Dickenson Road,
Bangalore - 560042, India.

Call

Tel : +91 - 80 - 66929898

Philips Innovation Campus

Visit / Write

MFAR Manyata Tech Park,
Nagavara,
Bangalore - 560045, India.

Call

Tel : +91 - 80 - 41890000
Chennai

(Southern Regional Office)

Visit / Write

Temple Towers, 5th Floor,
Old No : 476, New No : 672,
Anna Salai, Nandanam,
Chennai - 600035, India.

Call

Tel : +91 - 44 - 66501000
Hyderabad

Visit / Write

6-3-1109/1/P/103, 3rd Floor,
Jewel Pawani Towers,
Raj Bhavan Road, Somajiguda,
Hyderabad - 500082, India.

Call

Tel : +91 - 40 - 66467676
Mumbai

(Western Regional Office)

Visit / Write

Technopolis Knowledge Park,
Mahakali Caves Road,
Chakala, Andheri (E),
Mumbai - 400093, India.

kneo said:
Basically, Philips have tied up with local repair shops and given them a Philips authorized service station categories. I had really bad experience with them.
I had a similar experience too, as you might have read earlier. First they took around 18-20 days and still didnt have the lenses. :annoyed: Then when i spoke in a crude, boorish and disrespectful way, they sent him right away. Just think their service in Mumbai is disappointing. BTW, it was the Goregaon branch.

I know it is not allowed - referring your threads- Bt read the News - Philips moving away from consumer electronics!!

Hemant gi, can you explain the codes pls? I couldnt understand what you meant :sad:

Hi Ram
If you check my other post - now I read in rules that it is not allow referring your threads .....

Now
I feel thread is important as now Consumer Electronics is not Philips core focus and that explains their derading quality of service...

AbhY said:
Hope this issue won't show up again. Was very frustrating.
Here i go again visiting this topic back :mad: :mad: :mad:
Got similar issues again.

This time, the dvd's are detected properly. But after the movie starts, the whole picture just freezes. Cant use any button on remote or on player except the eject one. But sometimes have to tap the player and it resumes back again. :annoyed: This freezing happens every 10-30 mins. And this is happening from the past 1 month, but couldn't do anything as didnt have any time.

Incase anyone hasn't noticed, i purchased this HTiB system around 7-8 months back and i've lost count of how many times i've had problems with it and called the same old philips engineer. This thread explains all the problems i've had with it everytime.

But this time, i'm not just going to call them and ask them for repair. I better ask them for a replacement because it's too much now. What do you guys think?
I purchased it from E-zone 7-8 months back and have spent more time with issues ON in it than OFF. :mad: :mad:
End of consumer patience, isn't it?

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back