dvd player /best for audio cd playing

Dear FMs : Went through a number of old threads (2004-2005)in this forum on the dedicated Audio CD Vs DVD players.
Question1 : Is the observation valid in the 2015 context that dedicated Audio CD players continue to be better .
Question 2 : For Audio play are current DVD players like Pioneer DV3052V and BDP170 comparable to a stand alone Marantz CD5005 equivalent considering that the CDs are India pressings including MP3.
Any directional suggestions welcome .
Current setup : Philips DVP >PM6005>QAcoustics 2020i

a good cd player is entirely differet from dvd player.but to know the difference , you have to use a good amp and speakers.

Thanks.

I understand there are no digital "yes/no" answers ...let me try to configuration and "what if type questions ...?" .

Can it make a audible difference for the system mentioned (source >PM6005>Q2020i) if a audio CD is used Vs a DVD player ?

Based on some learnings in the last few i would think that for the specific system mentioned in my post it may not make a audible difference. It appears that to hear audible differences there seems to be a "threshold price/performance" source>amp>speaker and interconnect configuration needed to really hear big and or subtle changes in audio. Below this "threshold" it seems to be mostly very very subtle differences.

Its these multiple variables that makes audio very interesting .... !!!

(reposted due to typo error : apologies)

Thanks.

I understand there are no digital "yes/no" answers ...to these configuration's and "what if type questions ...?" .

Can it make a audible difference for the system mentioned (source >PM6005>Q2020i) if a audio CD is used Vs a DVD player ?

Based on some learnings in the last few i would think that for the specific system mentioned in my post it may not make a audible difference. It appears that to hear audible differences there seems to be a "threshold price/performance" source>amp>speaker and interconnect configuration needed to really hear big and or subtle changes in audio. Below this "threshold" it seems to be mostly very very subtle differences.

Its these multiple variables that makes audio very interesting .... !!!

In your case yes it should make a difference especially ifs a budget DVDP.

Though I believe you will appreciate the most gains with a PC based setup including RAM playback and using either JRiver or Foobar.

Thanks musicbee

Just to add to my post .

Recent binges with some DAC buys :

Recently got a Maverick D2 Tube Magic DAC which has Digital and USB B type inputs (with Tube and Opamp upgrades as mentioned in the site) .

Now its Philips DVP3356 OR Laptop >Maverick D2 Tube Magic DAC >PM6005>Q2020i

1. For Laptop connected to DAC via USB: yes : the sound is a leap ahead when compared to using the same w/o DAC
2. For the existing DVP with coax out to DAC : Since its less than a few days of listening . Iam not able to quantify the delta easily .Maybe my CDs are India pressed CDs and/or MP3

A Schiit Uber Modi2 is also most likley to join ....

Situation : Philips DVD is giving way and there is need to use Audio and occasional video playouts .Hence source player needs to be replaced .Thats the reason behind all the question around Pioneer DV3052V and BDP170 and Marantz CD5005

Is it worth having separate players for "audio uplift" considering the system config discussed . Can the Pioneer DV3052V get "close" to Marantz CD5005 in sonic performance OR will Pioneer BDP170 audio via DAC be better (i dont plan to buy and BD disc's )

Try to check at some dealers' places. Ask the dealers if you can bring in your DVD player to compare. Check at Marantz, Cambridge Audio, etc dealers.
Though, in my opinion, CD player would sound better.

Then again, it will also depend a bit upon how you listen. Do you sit down in front of the stereo or is it while doing some other things?

(reposted due to typo error : apologies)

There is an "edit" option for errors in posts. This can be used for some time after posting, I forget for how long. You will see it below the post after posting on the right hand side.

Try to check at some dealers' places. Ask the dealers if you can bring in your DVD player to compare. Check at Marantz, Cambridge Audio, etc dealers.
Though, in my opinion, CD player would sound better.

Then again, it will also depend a bit upon how you listen. Do you sit down in front of the stereo or is it while doing some other things?

There is an "edit" option for errors in posts. This can be used for some time after posting, I forget for how long. You will see it below the post after posting on the right hand side.

Valid suggestion : I was trying to avoid this "compare"activity at dealer location as its more useful to do it on my home amp>spkrs and in the same room. I have a gut feel that a DVD/BDP with DAC may deliver the same sonic's as dedicated CD player

Query : Is the BDP player better than a DVD player for audio /stereo playout ?

Listening : Mostly iam not in front of the speakers .

I have both a Marantz CD player and Oppo BD & other DVD players : I cannot make out any difference over the Marantz/Oppo ( connected to the same amp) but certain CDs have sounded "louder" with the Marantz.
Then again, I am more a "Music lover/listener" than an "Audiophile".....

I have both a Marantz CD player and Oppo BD & other DVD players : I cannot make out any difference over the Marantz/Oppo ( connected to the same amp) but certain CDs have sounded "louder" with the Marantz.
Then again, I am more a "Music lover/listener" than an "Audiophile".....

Thanks .Looks like dedicated CD player has the edge.Now its time to enjoy the music !!!

There is a thread in AV lounge on hifi pricing and venkarcr has shared his response in a very simple understandable way. I think that his response captures the essence of his experience between various price points and sonic experiences delivered.The context of the post may be different but the observations offered a valuable point of reference for me.

Atleast I could relate to it with my recent buying experience using a entry level sub 300usd external dac and sub 100usd DVD player and trying to enhance sonics .

>With laptop the external dac made a difference.

>With dvd using external dac Vs dvd analog out (ie using dvd dac).I need more listening time but so far Iam neutral .It possible the dac I have is not making a difference or dvd is entry level or my ears are not trained .

> I plan to move to dedicated audio cd player and use the dac with the laptop.
As a experiment I plan to connect audio CD player and dac to compare and get some learnings.

I've heard quite a few CD players over the years and many of them don't justify their price tag, neither as a transport nor as a DAC. Then again there are super expensive CDPs (costing over 2 lacs) that I've heard that can pretty much make music from anything... Ayon is one such example. The precision, detail, placement, etc. are the best I've heard in any setup. But for most folks its easier (and more justifiable) to buy a Mercedes over a CDP like Ayon that costs so much.

For most mid-range enthusiasts I believe a PC with an Asus Xonar ST + SSD + JRiver will present an unbeatable combo (provided they use an existing PC and don't need to buy a new one). The Xonar is pretty much unbeatable even for DACs that cost twice and coupled with an SSD (or even RAM playback) + JRiver will be an unbeatable combo both sonically and functionally.

Back