DVD player for stereo use

@arvindrjh Don't expect a "Huge" difference with a CD player from your current DVD player. The differences are quiet small when you change DAC's or source players. You will get a refined sound from a CD player or a better DAC.
When compared to a DVD player, a CD player has fewer electronics as no video processing is required. So if it has a better DAC implementation, it will give you a much refined sound with Analog out. And as with everything else, the upgrade path can lead you to better electronics (sound) but not a better listening experience. The hard part is to find what works in your system.
Speaker changes give you the biggest improvement. Then comes the amplifier. then the source and DAC, and cables in the end. The biggest difference above all of these components will be the room. get the room right, manage unnecessary reflections, getting proper diffusion where required and having just the right amount of absorption for unwanted frequencies. Modifying room acoustics is almost as good as getting a new system. For fun move the speakers to another room and see how they perform. It is truly amazing how often a room is neglected in the equation.

@arvindrjh Don't expect a "Huge" difference with a CD player from your current DVD player. The differences are quiet small when you change DAC's or source players. You will get a refined sound from a CD player or a better DAC.
When compared to a DVD player, a CD player has fewer electronics as no video processing is required. So if it has a better DAC implementation, it will give you a much refined sound with Analog out. And as with everything else, the upgrade path can lead you to better electronics (sound) but not a better listening experience. The hard part is to find what works in your system.
Speaker changes give you the biggest improvement. Then comes the amplifier. then the source and DAC, and cables in the end. The biggest difference above all of these components will be the room. get the room right, manage unnecessary reflections, getting proper diffusion where required and having just the right amount of absorption for unwanted frequencies. Modifying room acoustics is almost as good as getting a new system. For fun move the speakers to another room and see how they perform. It is truly amazing how often a room is neglected in the equation.
I am able to hear the clear difference in my old & current DVD player so thought it might be more refined sound from CD player... So thought to invest in this... I can not do more with setup as home is not very big and all household goods already occupied with their space... And right now I can't spend more in speakers or amplifier... So remains source to optimize.... I can't hear new DVD player as it produces sound like normal 10-20k audio system....and till what time old DVD player works I don't know... So source change is must for me.

So source change is must for me.
I think you check about Yamaha Wxc 50 at 25k, it's a nifty device and should gel well with your existing Yamaha Amp.
Availability of Cds is diminishing and loseless and streaming looks like a future, you can use the existing DVD player as transport to connect to Yamaha wxc 50 DAC and see whether that satisfies your purpose. Check out the online reviews for the same.
Otherwise the improvising SQ would require all above mentioned changes in my first post in this thread.

I think you check about Yamaha Wxc 50 at 25k, it's a nifty device and should gel well with your existing Yamaha Amp.
Availability of Cds is diminishing and loseless and streaming looks like a future, you can use the existing DVD player as transport to connect to Yamaha wxc 50 DAC and see whether that satisfies your purpose. Check out the online reviews for the same.
Otherwise the improvising SQ would require all above mentioned changes in my first post in this thread.
I thought about that but my local vendor is not ready for demo... So I can't check it with my setup... He said if you want to purchase I can arrange...that is the major problem... Without listening to device I have to purchase.... & no chance of returning... It happened to me when I bought DVD player I was expecting better sound in Sony but is not as good as Philips DVD player....

On low & mid volume I can not hear the background musical instruments although voice is OK. In higher volume it is OK. It was good in my old Philips DVD player which I got repair twice but still produces some noise when CD is played. My problem is I never heard a CD player or hi-fi source as there is hardly any vendors for stereo in my city. I got my Yamaha amplifier locally but supplier could not demo it. Now investing 20-30k in source without hearing it with existing setup is risky.

Okay, sounds like you're looking for resolution. My guess is you need to look at your whole chain, not just the source and quality of content. Some amplifiers, speakers and cables are simply more resolving than others. Equally important is the level of ambient noise in the room - a quieter room will always allow one to hear deeper into the audio. Hence the best audio rooms are usually shut off from the noise of the outside world and the quietest ACs are used. For example, blaring horns from outside vehicle traffic or a ceiling fan running at full speed will drown out the music.

drkrack had given excellent advice on room treatment, speaker placement and listening position. Do remember that critical stereo listening is a rather selfish activity for one person as there's usually a narrow sweet spot.

Take a train/flight/drive (13 hours! Indore-Mumbai and I've done it with some friends) to Mumbai and go to showrooms for auditions. There are many. You need to hear for yourself to decide what is a better sound.

Apart from all above advised by All, you need to check source of music. MP3 of old songs wouldn't generally be found good quality esp downloaded from internet including paid content from saregama etc. they are very bad quality. Make sure good quality (lossless formats) digital file like Wav, flac ect. if you want to enjoy sweetness of old.

Apart from all above advised by All, you need to check source of music. MP3 of old songs wouldn't generally be found good quality esp downloaded from internet including paid content from saregama etc. they are very bad quality. Make sure good quality (lossless formats) digital file like Wav, flac ect. if you want to enjoy sweetness of old.
yes I have a collection of around 250 HD songs purchased from Saregama,itune & few downloaded from YouTube.

Like jls said, travel to Mumbai, maybe Ahmedabad. Connect with FMs in these and other cities. It's a pleasure in itself :)

Who can provide better quality than HMV for old songs?
Certainly old vinyl Lps and Cassettes from HMV, Music India etc are better than latest available MP3s from Internet. But I always prefer first print of LPs (initial released Lps when movie released). There are Labeled like Angel, Odean are much more better than HMV/MPS, but polydor, colombia are also good. These are From Origianl Sound tracks.

The cheapest option is try to get Pioneer DVDP and use it instead of Sony DVDP.
Pioneer DVD and Bluray players are known to be good for stereo playback as well.

The cheapest option is try to get Pioneer DVDP and use it instead of Sony DVDP.
Pioneer DVD and Bluray players are known to be good for stereo playback as well.
I tried but Pioneer discontinue it's DVD player from India.... And recently I bought Sony DVD player.... Will go for CD player in sometime

Strange co-incidence, but i am having similar problems like the OP. I want to invest in a cheap player with USB that can play Digital files (WAV / FLAC) which should also have Optical out. Will any 4-5k Blu ray player be good enough ? or a need for premium CD player a must ? Of course, i will be using a DAC and a St Amp combo before feeding into the speakers.

Yes that is another option but I will follow your path & go for a CD player no short cuts.... Will try to buy Marantz CD6006 if budget does not allow... Will go for 5005.
CD and it's players are getting obsolete, and so are the DVD players. Analog is again regaining popularity. It will be better to stick to DVD player or else look for a hifi media player with usb options. Another option is laptop/ PC with external DAC or headphone out connected to a tube buffer.

Dear pals,
Please can anyone suggest,how I can enhance sound quality of my Sony DVD player using for stereo output. Below are the details of my music set up.
1. Sony DVP SR660P
2.Amplifier Yamaha AS 500
Mostly I listen to old Hindi songs of HD quality & sometimes MP3 too.
Will an external DAC worth to invest, like Audiolab m dac mini?
Please try to get OPPO for your source. Or a proper sacd player.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back