DVD Player help - HDMI/Upscaling/USB

awedeophile

Need to get a simple DVD player with HDMI/Upscaling and most importantly the ability to play movies from USB.

Please suggest suitable models.
How is the Philips 3388/94?

Thanks.

Hey awedeophile, long time no see!

I use the Philips 5996 (i think that's the model number), it's pretty good, as good as any of the other budget players and it has analog 5.1 outs.

If you want a really good player that also has USB, the cambridge audio DV99 for roughly 14k is what you should be looking at, if you can't get someone to bring you down an Oppo 980 from the US that is.

Hmm just curious!!

Why would anyone want a DVD player instead of a Media player these days??

Do DVD player have some advantages over media players (such as WD TV) ??

primarily, the ability to play DVDs...including rental DVDs, instead of having to rip them and then transfer them to your media player. While these forums might give you the opposite impression, doing all that stuff is pretty 'geeky' and most consumers don't want to get their 'hands messy' with all this. They'd much rather get a disc, pop it in a tray, and watch the movie.... unless of course they're into illegally downloading movies.

It's the same reason I don't particularly fancy a computer based transport. I'd rather pop my CDs into a CD player and play them. Yes yes, I know the convenience of quieing up all the music that you own and playing it with a click and all that, somehow that doesn't seem very appealing to me compared to playing a disc, which is also why I am leaning towards a blu-ray player instead of a WDTV Live.

Hmm just curious!!

Why would anyone want a DVD player instead of a Media player these days??

Do DVD player have some advantages over media players (such as WD TV) ??

They'd much rather get a disc, pop it in a tray, and watch the movie.... unless of course they're into illegally downloading movies.

Hmmm....That looks to be the reason. A person who doesnt download movies and buy CD's would surely prefer a DVD player instead of a media player. :)

primarily, the ability to play DVDs...including rental DVDs, instead of having to rip them and then transfer them to your media player. While these forums might give you the opposite impression, doing all that stuff is pretty 'geeky' and most consumers don't want to get their 'hands messy' with all this. They'd much rather get a disc, pop it in a tray, and watch the movie.... unless of course they're into illegally downloading movies.

It's the same reason I don't particularly fancy a computer based transport. I'd rather pop my CDs into a CD player and play them. Yes yes, I know the convenience of quieing up all the music that you own and playing it with a click and all that, somehow that doesn't seem very appealing to me compared to playing a disc, which is also why I am leaning towards a blu-ray player instead of a WDTV Live.

Point well made Psycho.
About the Oppo, wouldnt the voltage and region lock be a problem for a person who wants a ready made solution?
But I must admit the US price is quite tempting, esp for something which plays dvds, audio cds etc beautifully

Point well made Psycho.
About the Oppo, wouldnt the voltage and region lock be a problem for a person who wants a ready made solution?
But I must admit the US price is quite tempting, esp for something which plays dvds, audio cds etc beautifully

Just curios - where are you getting the DVD 610 - I had tried getting one, but this one has been discontinued.:sad:

i share the same opinion , and also the quality with downloads is suspect compared to original discs , why wud one compromise on quality having spent on best of equipments , doesnt make sense

the philips 5996k is agood one

but this depends on your display , upto 42" this is fine but beyond that u wud have to look else where

advantage with this model-- is have yet to encounter a disc not playable in the 5996k

All Oppos are 110 - 240 volts out of the box....which makes you wonder why on earth everyone can't just do that. Also, the Oppos have a simple region hack for the DVDs, so no real obstacle getting an Oppo DVD player.

Point well made Psycho.

Hi all,

I already have an Oppo BDP-83 coming down for my HT setup.

The DVD I need now is to be used in a bedroom with a 50" Plasma. I do download old movies from the net (legally) and would like the ability to play them directly of a USB stick or USB HDD (is that possible).

I checked the Philips India site and their top model is the 3388/94. Does anyone have any experience with this player? Can I connect a USB HDD to it?

Also, someone wrote about a media player. How does that work? Can someone post a link to a product?

Thanks.

....which makes you wonder why on earth everyone can't just do that.

I have always thought that its to prevent people from taking stuff meant for the US market outside teh country and selling it for less robbing the companies of their profits when they sell it with good markups in these other markets (and vice versa for that matter) - sort of like region coding.

Though now more and more equipment is being made which works on 110-220V so dont know if that is a valid hypothesis anymore :)

Hi all,

I already have an Oppo BDP-83 coming down for my HT setup.

The DVD I need now is to be used in a bedroom with a 50" Plasma. I do download old movies from the net (legally) and would like the ability to play them directly of a USB stick or USB HDD (is that possible).

I checked the Philips India site and their top model is the 3388/94. Does anyone have any experience with this player? Can I connect a USB HDD to it?

Also, someone wrote about a media player. How does that work? Can someone post a link to a product?

Thanks.

check our media player section.

Some products you can look at are WD TV, WD TV Live, Xtreamer, Pop Corn. They all have better upscaling capability than Philips DVDp and can play from USB hard drives and most of the media formats from avi to mkv, from DVD movies to Blu Ray movies from Pen drive or hard disk.

check our media player section.

Some products you can look at are WD TV, WD TV Live, Xtreamer, Pop Corn. They all have better upscaling capability than Philips DVDp and can play from USB hard drives and most of the media formats from avi to mkv, from DVD movies to Blu Ray movies from Pen drive or hard disk.

Hifi-ers, Is it true that the Oppo 980h has been discontinued? For that matter the oppo website has only bdp 83 and 83 se listed in players and nothing else. Amazon also has the bdp 83 only.
Damn seems like my long term plan of buying 980h is going down the drain!:mad:

Hifi-ers, Is it true that the Oppo 980h has been discontinued? For that matter the oppo website has only bdp 83 and 83 se listed in players and nothing else. Amazon also has the bdp 83 only.
Damn seems like my long term plan of buying 980h is going down the drain!:mad:

why dont u look @ the pioneer Bdps (320/lx51/lx52)they have better reviews , except that they cant me moded for multi region bd play back

why dont u look @ the pioneer Bdps (320/lx51/lx52)they have better reviews , except that they cant me moded for multi region bd play back

subhash, the bdps are pretty expensive and I have a laptop which plays Blu rays and has hdmi out, not even been using that:eek:!
I wanted Oppo for good dvd playback along with its audio capabilities to play cds and usb.

i have philips 3368
i think these "upscaling""HDMI" and all are pure waste
FULL HD TV already has a good upscaling. DVD player doesn't play full HD file(1920x1080) neither through USB port
so i have to downscale the resolution for the player to recognize the file and play it.
i would recommend a future proof blu ray player(but they are too costly)
So if u want to enjoy HD stuff better get WDTV or some thing similar
or just connect a PC or LAPTOP via HDMI(which i think is best and u can play almost any format available on the planet)

subhash, the bdps are pretty expensive and I have a laptop which plays Blu rays and has hdmi out, not even been using that:eek:!
I wanted Oppo for good dvd playback along with its audio capabilities to play cds and usb.

not @ all the prices of bdps are dropping
the higher end BDP LX52 of pioneer is abt 30k
the entry level ones BDP 320 is abt 18k may be even lesser
bdp120 is abt 13k

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back