DVDP With Free HDMI Cable!

Any idea on how much the 5996 will cost? Does the 5996 have optical out? Any major difference with the 3996? Want to buy it in Delhi, ASAP.
I have a Panasonic PV80, any good Altec Lansing or Creative speakers you can suggest in this set up moserw?
Also thanks for all the info you have been putting in, it really has been helpful.

Hi,

Picked up a Philips DVDP DVP3996 today at Reliance Digital for Rs. 3700 and it comes with a free HDMI cable. The DVDP upscales to 1080p and is DivX Ultra Certified. Will post a review after I run it through its paces.

Philips - DVD player with HDMI and USB HDMI 1080p DivX Ultra - DVP3996/94 - DVD Players - Players and recorders - Sound and vision

i would think that there should be no difference between this cable and any expensive one. It will be interesting (and in my case clarify to other members) if you can post your observations as many people seem to be stuck on buying expesive cables with the hope of getting better perfromance from their AV systems. Awaiting your results.

Only one problem.No optical output.
So like we who wants to add DAC is difficult.Needs extra switch.

Spiro - Philips does not come with optical digital but does come with coaxial digital out so DAC will not be a problem.

Any idea on how much the 5996 will cost? Does the 5996 have optical out? Any major difference with the 3996? Want to buy it in Delhi, ASAP.
I have a Panasonic PV80, any good Altec Lansing or Creative speakers you can suggest in this set up moserw?
Also thanks for all the info you have been putting in, it really has been helpful.

Vidrad - Doubt if the Philips 5996 (not available here either) will have optical digital out but will have coaxial digital out. For HT/DVDP look at dedicated HT speaker system and not PC speakers. Also most PC speakers do not have digital inputs like optical/coaxial so connecting them is limited only to analog multi-channel and also PC speakers will be underpowered compared to dedicated HT speakers. I do think higher end speakers like Creative GigaWorks G500 should have digital inputs like optical/coaxial, but still check for the same. Only thing is the Creative/Logitech/Altec Lansing will not perform as well as a HT speaker system. The best yet I have heard personally from the above are the Logitech Z-5500, THX certified, but at their cost of around 20K you will get good HT speakers itself. What's your budget? Based on that recommendations can be made by many on this forum...

i would think that there should be no difference between this cable and any expensive one. It will be interesting (and in my case clarify to other members) if you can post your observations as many people seem to be stuck on buying expesive cables with the hope of getting better perfromance from their AV systems. Awaiting your results.

Totally agree with you mars. I have personally found very little difference between the high end ones and the entry level ones and even websites like Amazon etc. are filled with the same kind of reviews. For HDMI though its necessary to take the correct version cables like its 1.3 HDMI now or else they don't work. We got a new Blu-Ray player and the damn thing output TrueHD only with HDMI ver 1.3 certified cables. It just would not work with older cables. So even though quality does not matter with expensive/inexpensive cables, they are snake oil as you say, getting the right version does matter and I believe the Hollywood/manufacturers combo will make us consumers pay this way by coming up with newer versions time and again.

For HDMI though its necessary to take the correct version cables like its 1.3 HDMI now or else they don't work. We got a new Blu-Ray player and the damn thing output TrueHD only with HDMI ver 1.3 certified cables. It just would not work with older cables. So even though quality does not matter with expensive/inexpensive cables, they are snake oil as you say, getting the right version does matter and I believe the Hollywood/manufacturers combo will make us consumers pay this way by coming up with newer versions time and again.

Thanks for the udpate Moserw. Yes, I can understand why your BR player would work with only HDMI 1.3 settings. 2 reasons:

1. You have set it in such a way to output the high res audio
2. Because of above point, it requires a larger bandwidth.

FYI, HDMI 1.3 is a recent revision to the original HDMI specification which adds extended support for deep-color and higher transmission rates. 1.3 also has additional support for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA over the original specifications. This will only work if your source and display are HDMI 1.3 capable, the cable itself wont add anything to the equation.

There may be some settings in your BR audio profile to maybe disable it but in your case it may not be necessary as the high res audio should keep you happy.

FYI The Oppo's also come with a free hdmi cable....

Yup they do. I got one free with my 983, only the Oppo cost 20K, while the Philips cost under 4K. Of course a world of difference between both of them!

I only posted this cause I read in a couple of threads where members were asking for DVDP with free HDMI cables...

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back