earth for amplifier and CD player?

suri

having noted that amplifier and the cd player that i have come with a two-pin power plug = no earth, I have been earthing them in this fashion-

Is this necessary?

why is there no earthing for such equipment - should not every electric/electronic equipment connected to the main electrical supply have an earth path?

Last edited:
Actually, i had this question in my mind since long but never brought it into discussions
why does not every electrical equipment have a earthing wire with the power cord?

I face problems with my amp, dvd player and Tata sky STB. More during the monsoons

Did you find any difference before and after doing these experiments? I guess that should answer your questions.

Anyways, try these -

Earthing (Grounding) Your Hi-Fi - Tricks and Techniques
Grounding and Shielding Audio Devices
http://www.jaycar.com.au/images_uploaded/humloop.pdf

Cheers.

I have done a similar experiment myself:
It went like I had bought a Sonodyne's power amp but I was not too happy with its power cable so I replaced the same with the DAC power cable generally these cable have plugs with the earthing pins removed so out of curiosity I attached a pin to the plug which after connecting resulted in producing hum on the system which was gone as soon as the pin was removed again.

Did you find any difference before and after doing these experiments? I guess that should answer your questions. Cheers.

I have found two differences -

(1) before grounding, inadvertently touching the metal body would result in a mild shock - felt like a DC current or static - the sensation is felt only on first touch - does not happen when the equipment is grounded.

(2) while cd is playing, at times crackles are heard (over the loudspeaker) which keep increasing in intensity. if the cd is removed and wiped, or even touched, and replaced, the crackles disappear. This was before grounding, and is much less after grounding, but still happens, only not so often.

I have grounded the equipment in much the same way as a computer hardware worker grounds himself to the floor - the wires from the metal chassis are terminated on to a 3M metal kitchen sponge which is in contact with the floor-

Last edited:
Glad to know you guys have found solutions.

Sometime back I had this irritating issue with humming. It was too week to detect but it was there! I had Square_wave's CD67SE at my place for few days. Unfortunately ever since i introduced this to my HT setup, the humm started. I tried by best to isolate the connection from plugging and unplugging every possible connections but dint help at all. Finally the whole damn humm was removed by just changing the powerstrip/spike suppressor from microtek(?) to MX!

Cheers.

Glad to know you guys have found solutions.

Sometime back I had this irritating issue with humming. It was too week to detect but it was there! I had Square_wave's CD67SE at my place for few days. Unfortunately ever since i introduced this to my HT setup, the humm started. I tried by best to isolate the connection from plugging and unplugging every possible connections but dint help at all. Finally the whole damn humm was removed by just changing the powerstrip/spike suppressor from microtek(?) to MX!

Cheers.

Common spike supressors have electronic circuitry that degrade the AC signal .. or dont they?

Regards

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back