Easier/better utilization of my Audio CDs - help required

skumar

I have a limited collection of Audio CDs (some Pop, Telugu and Hindi etc.) for a while and recently started listening to them regularly. Not sure if joining this forum and fiddling with my AVR has anything to do with the renewed interest though :lol:

I need suggestions on the following:
a) If I copy all my favourite songs (in audio-cd format) into a DVD and stick it into the DVDP (Philips-3266 or Pioneer-610), will the DVDP play it like an Audio-CD? I am trying to either push 7 to 8 CDs into one DVD or otherwise copy around 100 songs into one DVD by doing this, without loosing the Audio-CD quality. Can I just do a data copy or need any ripper software for this? Any freeware?

Can I use folders while doing this (similar to MP3)? If this doesn't work, what is the recommended format (minimal loss of quality) to achieve this? Any freeware available to do the same?

b) I would also like to have some songs in MP3 format for use in my car (I do not like to fiddle with CDs in the car and also hate any scratches on them)? What is the best freeware to convert into MP3 that also configurable options for the quality? What are the options that I need to be aware in the ripping process that will help me to retain the quality I would want to? I am not necessarily looking at cramming as many songs as possible onto a CD.

Thanks for your time and help.

Mods - I am sure this is in line with forum rules and hope this thread will avoid the chop :lol:

Last edited:
You cannot copy audio CD(s) on DVD.

For best quality convert to MP3 @ 320kbps and write on DVDs as data file, which your DVD player will be able to play.

If your car as DVD player then you can use the same disc in your car. Otherwise you need to burn them on a CD.

There are many free softwares that convert CD to MP3. Just Google. Be sure that the software retrieves info from the CDDB database so that song names/ artists/ album info is automatically generated when you convert.

REPLY TO CRANKY

It is legally allowed by the INDIAN COPRIGHT ACT 1956 to make ONE copy of a purchased copyright material including music to safeguard it from damage. However lending or circulating the copy is in violation .

I have over 600 CDs, and it's really tough to manage them physically, so I have them stored as uncompressed WAV files and use a PC player, or as image files. In the course of moving houses I have lost over half of them to thieves and breakage in the last ten years, but thankfully the music is still with me.

Oh my God! Where did you live?? You had very funky thieves around you!:cool:

+1 to that.

i always though WMP was just a bloated price of MS crap that comes along every 1-2 years. I see that there are quite a few like mined people here:D

We are not talking supreme quality and world class service here. Like it or not, its going be around even after you and I are gone! Its straight forward to use and does not require any installs like others though the reasons are obvious.

I don't work for MS and don't vouch for everything that comes out of the company. My first exposure to computer was a mainframe followed by Unix...

We are not talking supreme quality and world class service here. Like it or not, its going be around even after you and I are gone! Its straight forward to use and does not require any installs like others though the reasons are obvious.

I don't work for MS and don't vouch for everything that comes out of the company. My first exposure to computer was a mainframe followed by Unix...

bro i am extremely sorry if i hurt your sentiments - WMP is definitely a overall solution but someone who is into hifi and audio quality from an HTPC would never use WMP which got bloated year after year. Mind it - the MPC was excellent and the interface for MPC-HC is great and simple and very functional. I did have a free copy of TMT (latest) that decodes BR and other formats - i found it too heavy and clunky.

Sorry though I did pick up a lil bit of Unix in my late schooling years - I started out with windows 3.1 and 95

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back