Ebay Discount Trick, it works!

I cannot believe how somebody just for the sake of arguing brings the most unexpected and unfitting analogy in. I never mentioned ebay is the best place to buy gadgets! I just said that considering ebay good or bad (both) makes less sense!
You have any idea how many products are sold in ebay? Oh, why people make me to promote ebay. I am not paid for it!

Now that example can be read the other way too...Just because you were born in the filthiest of slums, grown up alongwith stray dogs and mosquitoes, and trying to make a living with Rs. 30 a day in a hut that hardly has space for your newly wed, dosent make Mumbai a baddy baddy place to live in.
Now can we come back to the topic capt.!?

Actually if you travel from Mumbai airport to the Taj Lands End you WILL miss Dharavi. It's NOT on the route. Just saying. :lol:

Keith Trust me, since I was not familiar with Mumbai, I actually checked that on Google maps before posting.:lol:

Well said captain..

BTW I had 15% -1000 Rs Coupon of GEB- Global Easy Buy

I tried to buy Oakley Monster Dog Sunglasses with it.I say tried as for a 15 days I was seeing my purchase happened and my consignment no was showing goods are in New York.So I started following up ,first I was told goods are in customs for a week,I was irritated ,

All of sudden I received mail that the item was broken in US .BTW MY MONEY WAS REFUNDED.

Also one should be cautious buying premium watches ( and pens and other acessories ) from Ebay. Premium means like Omeaga,Tag Haver or Mont Blanc etc.Many times FAKES are sold. Once I contacted such seller and he mailed me "It is REPLICA and replicas are as valuable and collectable as orignal!!"
:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

This is precisely what I'm saying. You should be happy that you atleast got your money back. I didn't have that luck. The loss was not substantial so left at that rather than waste my time & energy which is much more valuable for me. I don't know why the OP is so flustered.:indifferent14:

I cannot believe how somebody just for the sake of arguing brings the most unexpected and unfitting analogy in. I never mentioned ebay is the best place to buy gadgets! I just said that considering ebay good or bad (both) makes less sense!
You have any idea how many products are sold in ebay? Oh, why people make me to promote ebay. I am not paid for it!

Now that example can be read the other way too...Just because you were born in the filthiest of slums, grown up alongwith stray dogs and mosquitoes, and trying to make a living with Rs. 30 a day in a hut that hardly has space for your newly wed, dosent make Mumbai a baddy baddy place to live in.
Now can we come back to the topic capt.!?

Firstly, I have neither a reason nor inclination to enter into argument with you or for that matter anyone else. You are trying to show the good side of E-bay I guess and I, having burnt my fingers, am trying to show the pitfalls. are you indicating that I'm trying to portray you as an agent of E Bay!!! Preposterous!!! have a heart.

I've not understood your statement that saying E-bay is good or bad doesn't make any sense to you. can you substantiate and/or exemplify?

Hope I'm back on topic Santy?

Last edited:
First of all- PEACE EVERYONE.

Till now I have purchased just 2 items from ebay. Happy with the performance of 1 (HDMI Cable) and the other one is in transit right now (Anti glare screen protector for Samsung I9000 Galaxy S). I generally prefer buying locally and if the items arent available locally then Ebay is the other option left.

I havent got a chance till now thankfully to leave a negative feedback but I am surprised to learn that Ebay doesnt allow to post negative feedback!! Since I see many on each seller it is certain that it is atleast allowed for some. Captain what error did you get while trying to give negative feedback?

And also its interesting to know the bad side also of Ebay. Would you be willing to share your experience in detail with us as to what item did you buy, what was the fault with it and how did Ebay respond to that?

Regards

I was happy with all my purchases, they were as per description, they arrived fast, packed well and delivered in good condition. Even glass items were delivered without breaking. Again reiterating, ebay is a platform with many good sellers and certainly bad ones too. People like you and me are also selling old stuff there. Its like a shopping mall. It can give you a comfortable shopping experience. Not gurantee that a shop is not selling substandard products. Thats all i wish to say. But as capt. said if it does not allow to enter negative remarks thats atrocious. If you are not satisfied you do not acknowledge the item as received, which withholds the payment to seller and raise a dispute so that seller tries to settle it. Anyway pls give a brief of your issue for everyone's knowledge.

Last edited:
If anyone has a product sold in the nearest market, ebay or for that matter any online portal is NOT recommended! There's nothing like seeing and feeling a product and buying it. I bought more products from Vashi than from ebay, obviously!

But in my case, showrooms in Navi Mumbai do not even understand what is WDTv or xtreamer. I hate Mumbai traffic. So ebay was the only option for me. Careful purchase will rarely go wrong.

Last edited:
the ps3 game deals in ebay are really good it is much cheaper than all the local markets and even online markets but if you get something cheaper than ebay for ps3 games you have bought it in a clearance sale or that game is preowned.

friends romans countrymen and.... countrywomen.(if u happen to be the last category and reading this.. i d like u to b my wife instead of..... well... leave it.. sigh!!!)
indian public generally likes a face off with intended purchase in real life showrooms and has lesser faith in online stuff ditto with most faceless services vs one one to one customer/service support. u get stuff u like and nothing timewaster!
however , in most western countries, getting things from ebay is much more reasonable as there is low person to person mouth publicity thing, online search is most comprehensive and time saving. secondly if u dont happen to b in a large metro,u usually have to travel big distance for a store visit. fuel prices in most countries now a days aint unsubstantial.
besides, they have had a garage sale culture for decades now, ebay for them is only a modern version of something they r so used to. thus, not only they have more faith in online economy, there laws and lifestyle both go far to maintain its reliability. try lodging an fir for online fraud complaint in india!!
still, for me lamington road cost+ distance shipping considerations may workout more and ebay may be more sensible. unluckily(?), ebay is much more beneficial for sellers than buyers and steal deals for mass market stuff may be lapped up quickly by users in viscinity. such steal deals cud be found more often in the cornermost empty shelves having just one last piece of a product.

friends romans countrymen and.... countrywomen.(if u happen to be the last category and reading this.. i d like u to b my wife instead of..... well... leave it.. sigh!!!)
indian public generally likes a face off with intended purchase in real life showrooms and has lesser faith in online stuff ditto with most faceless services vs one one to one customer/service support. u get stuff u like and nothing timewaster!
however , in most western countries, getting things from ebay is much more reasonable as there is low person to person mouth publicity thing, online search is most comprehensive and time saving. secondly if u dont happen to b in a large metro,u usually have to travel big distance for a store visit. fuel prices in most countries now a days aint unsubstantial.
besides, they have had a garage sale culture for decades now, ebay for them is only a modern version of something they r so used to. thus, not only they have more faith in online economy, there laws and lifestyle both go far to maintain its reliability. try lodging an fir for online fraud complaint in india!!
still, for me lamington road cost+ distance shipping considerations may workout more and ebay may be more sensible. unluckily(?), ebay is much more beneficial for sellers than buyers and steal deals for mass market stuff may be lapped up quickly by users in viscinity. such steal deals cud be found more often in the cornermost empty shelves having just one last piece of a product.

Of course ebay is more sensible and money saving
Yamaha RX-V465 on Ebay @ Rs 22000
eBay India: Yamaha RX-V465 5.1 Ch Receiver | 1 Yr Yamaha Warranty (item 120609794416 end time 15-Sep-2010 14:56:43 IST)

Mumbai lowest quote with bill n warentee 18K ( 4 months back) and Chennai is 17 K!

---again
Asus 900 Ha with 2 GB on Lamington Rd 14K(2 GB Ram Upgrade over orignal 1 GB Ram ,with NEW 2 GB stick)
Ebay was around 18 K with 1 GB ram - No ram upgrade option ( This lap has just 1 slot so only 1 stick can be used)

-----
AOC V22T Lam Rd 11450
Ebay was 12500 or somthing
----------
From the maths I Learnt
17000<22000 .....50000 Differece ( Whooping 29% over 17K!)
Rest of the items are cheaper too..
----------
Nokia E72 _cOpper Gold -Most of the ebay sellers ( for bill and warentee) was charging 1000-1500 Rspremium when this was launched. In my very own backyard I got a retailer who was charging same for black and golden version ,but his price was lesser than Black version on ebay-750 ( i had this super coupon that time).he had another retail pack with phoe stand @ Rs 300 extra which WAS NOT available on ebay.Add to that peace of mind that phone is perfectly working( wify was buying) and all contacts transferred.

So where is online advantage ,cost reduction by not maintaining storefront etc etc?

Most of the Casio Frogman on ebay are fake
Any "Brand New" Omega less than 20 K ..it is fake...

BTW I SHOP FROM EBAY and shopped from Ebay US and Amazon US too.I am certain that barring few items ebay india is expensive.Though ebays deal of the day and week are good ,there are good chances organised retail can beat the price!

Last edited:
So where is online advantage ,cost reduction by not maintaining storefront etc etc?

BTW I SHOP FROM EBAY and shopped from Ebay US and Amazon US too.I am certain that barring few items ebay india is expensive.Though ebays deal of the day and week are good ,there are good chances organised retail can beat the price!

You are right, I noticed this almost immediately years back and backed off from online shopping. Something fishy here ... this treatment is only reserved for Indian consumers ... charging extra for the "privilege" of shopping online :cool:

Cheers

^^ Barring a few items sold by inexperienced sellers; ebay should cheaper- this is my observation. The discussion here is to go with ebay if it is cheaper and convenient. Not encouraging everyone to switch to online purchase.

We are still waiting for Capt's report on his bitter experience.

Meanwhile for the order I placed, the vendor called me next day, apologised that there was no stock left of WDTV live (as the last one was already sold on same day). He offered me other brand but I did not accept. So we had to cancel the order. He pleaded me not to put any negative feedback and admitted it was their mistake. He also told that he will give a free gift if I give a positive feedback! The amount was refunded on same day. This is what I had mentioned earlier; serious sellers are scared of negative remarks.

Nowadays we can see a note from seller in the description page like this

4384409852_dd0d992c7c_o.jpg

Further, I wanted to reorder the same product with another seller but the discount coupon was already used. So I had called Ebay, explained them and they had readily given a coupon number on phone (it worked). They asked feedback rating for their customer service at the end of the call and I had to give 5*.

This is what ebay has to say: Ebay Gurantee

imgPsPxVIP2_0817_23.gif

With all said and done, you place order only if you find it cheaper and comfortable and if you are convinced about the deal and dealer.:licklips:

^^ Barring a few items sold by inexperienced sellers; ebay should cheaper-

Cool some examples ..like case of yamaha 465
where 17000< 21000 E bay price ,or there is something wrong with my mathematics? or
AOC V22T Lam Rd 11450

So 11450< 12500 ..am I right or shall I take mayhs tutions from my kid?:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

He offered me other brand but I did not accept. So we had to cancel the order.

So I had called Ebay, explained them and they had readily given a coupon number on phone (it worked). They asked feedback rating for their customer service at the end of the call and I had to give 5*.

Why not asked for upgrade? For my friend when Nationite HDVP1 was over ,he was asked to wait and given HDVP2 ,you should have asked upgrade and free wifi dongle?

BTW Ebaty gave you 5% max 500 RS coupoun back? Or spmething better?

We are still waiting for Capt's report on his bitter experience.

Since someone is so keen to taste the bitter pill, ;) here I go.

Tried to locate the correspondence to post what exactly I ordered & what I got but couldn't locate it. Would've deleted it in frustration.

I started transacting in E-Bay in all earnest by ordering a couple of hip flasks. Got three of them in three separate transactions. Though I've later discovered that I've not got them cheap since I got them in good shape, I got emboldened and ordered a semi-precious stone. (I keep collecting crystals, corals etc.:)) Guess what I got in the courier! A nicely cut and polished (with rounded edges) oval shaped granite slab!!! (about 1.5" X 1.25") When I contested, the seller said it is indeed a semi-precious stone. Since I was confident that it was a granite stone, I wrote back saying I'll send it for chemical evaluation and I'll bear the cost of investigation if it is indeed a semi-precious stone and if it is granite stone, he should refund me the money and pay the testing charges. seller flatly refused saying I got what I ordered. When I wanted to give negative feed back, E-Bay just doesn't allow it however much I tried.

That was end of my tryst with E-Bay. Never in my life will I ever order from E-bay. There may be genuine sellers there but there are also a lot of fraudsters and cheats.

Actually, if we understand that there is no such thing as free lunch and that noone would give anything cheap and if some one is giving it, there must be a catch, one would never get cheated. but we all look towards saving a few pennies here and there and this mentality is what these cheats exploit.

Tried to locate the correspondence to post what exactly I ordered & what I got but couldn't locate it. Would've deleted it in frustration.

I started in all earnest by ordering a couple of hip flasks. Got three of them in three separate transactions. Though I've later discovered that I've not got them cheap since I got them in good shape, I got emboldened and ordered a semi-precious stone. I keep collecting crystals, corals etc.:) Guess what I got in the post. A nicely cut and polished (with rounded edges) oval shaped granite slab (about 1.5" X 1.25") When I contested, the seller said it is indeed a semi-precious stone. Since I was confident that it was a granite stone, I wrote back saying I'll send it for chemical evaluation and I'll bear the cost of investigation if it is indeed a semi-precious stone and if it is granite stone, he should refund me the money and pay the testing charges. seller flatly refusedsaying I got what I ordered. When I wanted to give negative feed back, E-Bay just doesn't allow it however much I tried.

That was end of my tryst with E-Bay. Never in my life will I ever order from E-bay. There may be genuine sellers there but there are also a lot of fraudsters and cheats.

Actually, if we understand that there is no such thing as free lunch and that noone would give anything cheap and if some one is giving it, there must be a catch, one would never get cheated. but we all look towards saving a few pennies here and there and this mentality is what these cheats exploit.

Hi Captn

Sorry to hear about that. So are you saying the text you type and post is read by a human who decides to censor the feedback? or was the option to rate the seller with a thumbs down not present in the GUI?

Thanks

Bro, do you really follow what I mean in all my previous posts? I seriously doubt!

Cool some examples ..like case of yamaha 465
where 17000< 21000 E bay price ,or there is something wrong with my mathematics? or
AOC V22T Lam Rd 11450

So 11450< 12500 ..am I right or shall I take mayhs tutions from my kid?:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

In this case, you must simply say,

Seller in Lam Rd < Seller in Ebay
Its not
Lam Rd < Ebay

Because both are markets, not standalone shops to compare 1 on 1. It depends on the product and the seller.. I am sure ebay has lesser price for 'majority' of the produts than retail shops, as their overheads are less!

Still, if you want me to say Lam Rd is cheapest on earth for all products sold there, I would certainly agree with you if that can help in coming back to topic! :clapping: I also recommend every member of this forum to come down to Lam Rd, wherever they are, for all their future gadget purchases! It makes lot of sense according to hemantwaghe

I started transacting in E-Bay in all earnest by ordering a couple of hip flasks. Got three of them in three separate transactions. Though I've later discovered that I've not got them cheap since I got them in good shape, I got emboldened and ordered a semi-precious stone. (I keep collecting crystals, corals etc.:)) Guess what I got in the courier! A nicely cut and polished (with rounded edges) oval shaped granite slab!!! (about 1.5" X 1.25") When I contested, the seller said it is indeed a semi-precious stone. Since I was confident that it was a granite stone, I wrote back saying I'll send it for chemical evaluation and I'll bear the cost of investigation if it is indeed a semi-precious stone and if it is granite stone, he should refund me the money and pay the testing charges. seller flatly refused saying I got what I ordered. When I wanted to give negative feed back, E-Bay just doesn't allow it however much I tried.

There are things which can be replicated easily and unless an expert ,external apperance is same
I feel for such things shoul;d be avoided on ebay.
Premium watches and pens falll in the catagory.

Sometimes you are lucky like Once I got Box Packed New Old Stock Swatch chronograph for 1000 ( Seller had almost 100% reputation and he knew what he was sellig.) again Hypercity was liwquidating their stocks on ebay and my friend got a Tissot gents watch @ almost 30-35% price. With bill ,warentee and all packaging,. Later I bought a ladies Tissot from same seller @ just Rs 2400! ( BTW I booked a gents watch which was stock out, seller traced me and apologized and suggested I should buy the remaining ladies watch)
But you need to be damn cautious.

BTW For Muumbai vodaphone customers and e bay user check ebay vodaphone offer.

Capt, I thought you had purchased something which has a brand and a model no. Such things are not meant to be bought online! I really don't know how a seller can describe the product you purchased or vouch for its genuineness, which can be verified only by laboratory testing!

Again I am not sure why you were not able to enter a negative feedback.

Free lunch and Discount are not the same Capt.
The "catch" is that Ebay sellers have less overheads (meaning).

I am sure ebay has lesser price for 'majority' of the produts than retail shops, as their overheads are less!

Still, if you want me to say Lam Rd is cheapest on earth for all products sold there, I would certainly agree with you if that can help in coming back to topic! :clapping: I also recommend every member of this forum to come down to Lam Rd, wherever they are, for all their future gadget purchases! It makes lot of sense according to hemantwaghe

Gimme a concvrete example of electronic item
BTW yamaha prices are From Voila and Alfa
And Rs 4000 saving on 14000 Item( In case of my laptop) Or Rs 5000 markup on 18000 item ( as in cae of Yamaha) is unjustifiable.
And again ebay cheated you,their product guy least told you about coming vodaphone coupoun ( 25% discount ,750 Max ) or should have offered you 1000 Coupon!
BTW there is not "absolute cheap" destination .with your information you try to save money. 10% variation is accepted but what examples I gave it is unjustifiable.

You started the thread " Ebay Discount Trick, it works!" ,so everyone understood it is "COST SAVING" thread.. but it is proved that inspite of coupouns cost is not at all saved on ebay..

BTW lamington road is not cheapest .....lowest quote for 42 Inch LCD I got in Vashi ( yes our own backyard!),Phones are genrally cheaper in Alfa, Electronics if available is generally cheaper in alfa and whiskey is possibaly cheapest on dubai airport duty free!:eek:hyeah:

but it is proved that inspite of coupouns cost is not at all saved on ebay..

Hi Hemantwaghe,

Not to take sides but one does find good deals on ebay with a little common sense, due diligence offline and searching among the listings. I got an 8 gb transcend pendrive for bout 600 or was it 700 availing of the coupons I regularly get by email, when market prices average even in the bombay lamington road equivalent here - sp road - was higher by bout 4-5 hundred. Only one seller had the low price, someone from chennai. Very case to case basis just like normal shopping in shopping areas.

Captrajesh I'd second santy's caution about buying unbranded stuff online unless you're willing to experiment and write off a few purchases and give a little leeway for bad experiences. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater! :)

regards

This thread cannot be deceiving. You decide to buy on ebay. If you plan, there's a chance to get some discount on the listing price and it works. Period.

Subsequently there are policies which protect the buyers. Ebay does not cheat you, a seller on ebay might ( if you are not sensible). God thats the difference I am trying to convey.

Btw I received WD TV live from ebay seller in good condition. It took less than 5 min unpack and setup the connections and start watching videos. I was rendered speechless by the mind-blowing clarity!

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back