Edifier R1700BT + Yamaha NS-SW050 Question

Black_Hawk

Hello,

I recently bought an Edifier R1700BT bookshelf speaker set for my room. The speakers are connected to my PC through an Asus Xonar DX audio card and I'm using the Xonar Unified drivers.

I'm quite liking the natural sound that these speakers produce while listening to music. They are nice, warm musical speakers. However, I feel the bass reproduction could have been better/ deeper and increasing the bass through the controls on the speaker makes it sound bloated. So, I was thinking if I add a small subwoofer like the Yamaha NS-SW050 (100W) to the setup will it improve the depth and overall "punchi-ness" of the bass, making it tighter or will it not do much and end up being a waste of money? Since I'm using the Asus Xonar DX audio card as mentioned above, I can connect the Yamaha SW050 to the card's sub-out port via a single RCA cable (sub-woofer cable) using a 3.5mm converter and then make the necessary cross-over changes through the Unified Driver UI (Under Flexbass > LFE Crossover Frequency). I hope this will work? These speakers have a 4" mid-bass drivers and a frequency response of 60Hz-20KHz +/-6db so maybe a separate sub will help?

I would appreciate if someone can lend his advice on this and on generally if it will be beneficial at all for me to add a sub-woofer to the Edifiers? Also, if anyone here is using a sub-woofer with an Edifier R1700BT/ R1850DB please do share your feedback as to how adding a sub to it makes it feel.

Thanks!

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back