Effect of Placing Speaker close to side wall

Hi,

Would like to know the decremental effect of the placing speakers very close to the side wall. ?

The layout in my Living room is such that the only place I have left to place my speakers is along the side walls. The distance from the back wall is around 1.5 feet.

The most important thing you have not mentioned is your room width. Try to place your speaker at least a foot away from the side wall (you said the distacne from the rear wall is 1.5 ft) and check the midrange purity and how wide and deep your soundstage is by playing some big orchestral music with singer at the center. Now try to move the speakers closer to each other (but not the same distance as your rear wall clearance), and if at 2 ft the midrange and soundstage are still wide and deep enough, that is better. If possible to move more, do it.
The basic thing is that the speakers should be as much away from rear and side walls as possible. The closer they are, the bigger will be the effect of bass and the further they are, wider and deeper will be your soundstage.
My roon is 19 ft deep and 10 ft wide and my speakers are around 5 ft from the rear wall and 7 ft center-to-center (1.5 ft from side walls). The general consensus is that the distance between the acoustic centers of the speakers (usually middle) should be at least 5 ft but not greater than 9 ft.
Many people try to place the speakers based on bass effect but I belong to that camp who believes in speaker placement for the best mid-range performance and soundstage. If you are worried about bass, go for a subwoofer.

Good luck.
murali

The most important thing you have not mentioned is your room width. Try to place your speaker at least a foot away from the side wall (you said the distacne from the rear wall is 1.5 ft) and check the midrange purity and how wide and deep your soundstage is by playing some big orchestral music with singer at the center. Now try to move the speakers closer to each other (but not the same distance as your rear wall clearance), and if at 2 ft the midrange and soundstage are still wide and deep enough, that is better. If possible to move more, do it.
The basic thing is that the speakers should be as much away from rear and side walls as possible. The closer they are, the bigger will be the effect of bass and the further they are, wider and deeper will be your soundstage.
My roon is 19 ft deep and 10 ft wide and my speakers are around 5 ft from the rear wall and 7 ft center-to-center (1.5 ft from side walls). The general consensus is that the distance between the acoustic centers of the speakers (usually middle) should be at least 5 ft but not greater than 9 ft.
Many people try to place the speakers based on bass effect but I belong to that camp who believes in speaker placement for the best mid-range performance and soundstage. If you are worried about bass, go for a subwoofer.

Good luck.
murali

very informative.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back