EL34 or KT 88

Tubes from 50s sound different from the same tubes made in 70s and 80s. Usually the sound from tubes made in 50s is full bodied. Sound from the same tubes made in 70s and 80s is leaner which could give you a sense of more detail. But the ones made in 50s also have those details but it’s embedded in the music and not so obvious.

Chance are a BEL made in the 60s will sound the same as a Mullard made in the 60s.

You can’t compare tubes made in different decades.

+1 to all of the above.
In fact, a matched quad is essential if you have auto bias. The more closely matched, the better.

On a side note to @Pavan1112
I know Hifi Dealers who don’t have as much equipment in their stores!
I’m guessing bachelor or VERY understanding wife :)
+1 to all of the above.
In fact, a matched quad is essential if you have auto bias. The more closely matched, the better.

On a side note to @Pavan1112
I know Hifi Dealers who don’t have as much equipment in their stores!
I’m guessing bachelor or VERY understanding wife :)

Super understanding wife and a boat load of like
minded friends 😁

@Pavan1112 : I’m curious to know if you have ever compared 12x7 on your pre (I have a DynacoPas3x ) between original NOS Mullard and NOS BEL , and if you have , do you feel the price difference (more than 10x for Mullard ) is justified ?

Hey bud. No real experience with the above mentioned tubes.
But I have rolled the stock Primaluna alongside the Gold lions and Tungsrams 12AX7 and the Tungsrams have the most warmth to my ears on my overly sensitive speakers.
My ears are super sensitive to high frequency so keeping the roll off in mind the Tungsrams suited my listening the best.

Cheers!!!

Tubes from 50s sound different from the same tubes made in 70s and 80s. Usually the sound from tubes made in 50s is full bodied. Sound from the same tubes made in 70s and 80s is leaner which could give you a sense of more detail. But the ones made in 50s also have those details but it’s embedded in the music and not so obvious.

Chance are a BEL made in the 60s will sound the same as a Mullard made in the 60s.

You can’t compare tubes made in different decades.

When the voice of experience speaks, it pays to listen closely :)

I’m currently rolling a pair of NOS BEL 5814As from 1965, and hearing something similar to what Prem is describing. Will post my impressions after a bit more experimentation.

In case anyone is interested, I’ve posted some tube rolling impressions here:

JJ ecc803s
Biggest improvement to my dared mp60 / fatman i252.
Other stages make less difference.

63ps-e (in my direct experience) and 6L6gc (has been reported) can blow fuse(s) / capacitors

Amp is self biasing.

OP here is my suggestion (I have a Line Magnetic KT-88 PP) , make sure wherever you source your matched QUAD from , they are matched post some burn time. Getting tubes matched without burn time is as good as picking at random any 4 from a batch. Lot of folks in audio community (diyaudio forum) trust https://www.dougstubes.com/ , they claim to burn their tubes prior to matching.

Used KT88 for a while. Then El34 and C6A7.

On a lark bought Tung-Sol 6550. They have stayed in for 3 years now. Excellent. Has good midrange performance, balls of steel at the low end, nice extended top end too. Not changing those in a hurry.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back