EL34 or KT 88

I have got my hands on some new Cayin spark EL34, EH 12AX7 tubes. Price negotiation is on. How is Electro harmonix as tubes ?
NOS tubes are usually the best but are really expensive these days . In tubes you need to evaluate depending in the type of tubes. eg a EL34 may have one brand which sounds best but a 6922 it will be a different one ! Mullard, Tung Sol, SED and JJ are the usual suspects but you will not go wrong with an EH as well.

Some points to consider:

- The KT88 is not a drop in replacement for the EL34. The 6CA7 and KT77 are. The KT88 will demand more from your amp, so please check your owner’s manual to make sure it’s safe.
- EL34s have a warmer midrange, KT88s have better bass and treble. Given your choice of music, the EL34 may actually be better for you.
- You may actually get a bigger improvement in SQ by swapping out the preamp tubes. Your amp probably runs 12AX7s, 12AU7s, 6SN7s, 6SL7s, or some combination thereof. These are cheaper to replace and easier to find.
Can't agree more.

My Elekit TU-8200 is an auto-bias amp that can take up to KT90 in KT series, EL34, 6CA7, 6550. It came with 6L6GC.

I have matched pairs of KT88, 6CA7, 6L6GC from EH and Tungsol EL34B. KT88 is full sounding while EL34 had a good midrange. 6CA7 is overall better as per my ears - unfortunately during a tube roll the alignment pin broke in one of them.

Can't agree more.

My Elekit TU-8200 is an auto-bias amp that can take up to KT90 in KT series, EL34, 6CA7, 6550. It came with 6L6GC.

I have matched pairs of KT88, 6CA7, 6L6GC from EH and Tungsol EL34B. KT88 is full sounding while EL34 had a good midrange. 6CA7 is overall better as per my ears - unfortunately during a tube roll the alignment pin broke in one of them.
How would you describe the 6CA7 sound vis a vis the KT88?
And have you tried 6550s?

How would you describe the 6CA7 sound vis a vis the KT88?
And have you tried 6550s?
Did not buy 6550 since it was an overload on my wallet. However, the kit mfr said it is nearly like KT88.

Unfortunately I broke the guide pin at the bottom of one 6CA7 valve. If I have to use it I have to map the pins and carefully fit it to the valve base so all pins go to their respective socket. Still could try a KT88 on one channel and the other 6CA7 on the other channel and give a feedback. That will be interesting. Can mute each channel of the USB DAC through the PC audio controls.

Give me some time.

Still could try a KT88 on one channel and the other 6CA7 on the other channel and give a feedback.
Please DON’T!
Running two completely different output tubes simultaneously may not be a good idea!
The last thing I want is for you to damage your amp just to answer my query :)

Please DON’T!
Running two completely different output tubes simultaneously may not be a good idea!
The last thing I want is for you to damage your amp just to answer my query :)
I had asked the kit designer about it some years back and he confirmed it's OK to run with two different tubes on the two channels. I had checked his email before I wrote this.

Hello! I have a Dared MP 60 integrated tube amp. I am contemplating to change the 4 stock EL34 tubes. Are EL34 and KT 88 tubes interchangeable? If yes what’s the sonic difference between the two? And finally how to procure them in India ? My primary preference in music is Indian classical instrumental and vocal. Regards
Have both of the above mentioned tubes with me and tried the same on my Primaluna and the Mullard El34 most definitely for the kind of music you listen to.
My Gold Lion KT88 sounds very solid state.
But the biggest difference I found were by changing the Pre amp tubes to the Tungsrams that I bought.
Do give them a go and I for sure love them.

Cheers!!!

Have both of the above mentioned tubes with me and tried the same on my Primaluna and the Mullard El34 most definitely for the kind of music you listen to.
My Gold Lion KT88 sounds very solid state.
But the biggest difference I found were by changing the Pre amp tubes to the Tungsrams that I bought.
Do give them a go and I for sure love them.

Cheers!!!
Thank you for the inputs. Can we change all the EL34 Output tubes ( if they are matched quads) without adjusting the bias? My amp Dared MP 60 is autobiasing as per the manual but I have my reservations.

Thank you for the inputs. Can we change all the EL34 Output tubes ( if they are matched quads) without adjusting the bias? My amp Dared MP 60 is autobiasing as per the manual but I have my reservations.
As far as I understand there shouldn’t be any issues changing it to a matched quads as I have done on my Primaluna which also has auto bias.
No stress so far but I would genuinely encourage you to take the route that would make the most difference in sound signature by rolling the pre amp tubes (12AX7).
Just my 2 cents.

As far as I understand there shouldn’t be any issues changing it to a matched quads as I have done on my Primaluna which also has auto bias.
No stress so far but I would genuinely encourage you to take the route that would make the most difference in sound signature by rolling the pre amp tubes (12AX7).
Just my 2 cents.

+1 to all of the above.
In fact, a matched quad is essential if you have auto bias. The more closely matched, the better.

On a side note to @Pavan1112
I know Hifi Dealers who don’t have as much equipment in their stores!
I’m guessing bachelor or VERY understanding wife :)

An interesting read that may answer your question:

Made in India Mullards
@coaltrain - I’m aware of this exact article. :)
Even I quoted this article myself sometime back in a similar discussion.

I’m trying to find out why the British Mullard ECC83 (fifties made in Britain , not Bangalore ) command such prices (last seen almost 35k/pair ) - is it simply for its rarity or audible sonic superiority ( doubtful ) ?
The NOS BELs I use (made in eighties ) are less than 1/10th the price.

The Mullards made in the 50s sound different from the BEL made later. Which works better is dependent on the tube amp design.

It’s like comparing an Angel with a much later Odeon pressing.

The Telefunkens sound completely different from the Mullard and BEL

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back