Elac B5.2 Vs Pioneer sp-fs52 speakers

Sandesh

Looking forward to your views about these two speakers? I know that ones a bookshelf and the other a floor stander, but I am in a position to take either one as long as the sound quality is my top priority. My room is about 13 feet, seating position is around 12. I use an Onkyo TX ds676 amp with Onkyo subwoofers and surround. Currently want to move away from my Sansui s-1000js which aren't hifi. Would appreciate opionions of how the Elac B6.2 would stand against the Pioneer sp-fs52 too. My usage is 60% Music (Metal, Rock, some techno/retrowave, industrial) and HT is 40% (pairing with a LG C9)

Well both are wonderful speakers. Both are designed by the same very popular designer Andew Jones. Elac is an updated design over the Pioneer.

Try to audition them both and pick what you like more.

MaSh

Looking forward to your views about these two speakers? I know that ones a bookshelf and the other a floor stander, but I am in a position to take either one as long as the sound quality is my top priority. My room is about 13 feet, seating position is around 12. I use an Onkyo TX ds676 amp with Onkyo subwoofers and surround. Currently want to move away from my Sansui s-1000js which aren't hifi. Would appreciate opionions of how the Elac B6.2 would stand against the Pioneer sp-fs52 too. My usage is 60% Music (Metal, Rock, some techno/retrowave, industrial) and HT is 40% (pairing with a LG C9)

In budget range, Onkyo SKFs are also supposed to be good. Since the rest of your chain in Onkyo, you can consider these as well. My impressions are based on the video on this sale post from FM @reubensm

@elangoas @arunkvivek @MaSh I actually managed to demo the Dali Spektor 2 and they seemed to have beaten the Pioneer out of the park. I also noticed that after a certain distance (it extended upto 9 ft) the bass was not audible on the Pioneer speaker. But if I moved a bit forward it was audible. The rest of the range was listenable. Do you think this was a technical problem or something else (or the speaker's capacity)? How do the Dali Spektors match up with Onkyo amps any idea? Also any particular reason I felt there were a lack of brightness and punch when I played a song on youtube? While the pioneer played them perfectly fine. I played this particular song
(retrowave synth). The same song played on the Quadral Argentum's 520 was really spectacular. Again is this a technical issue or is the Dali spektor unable to capture this style of music?

@Sandesh I have the Pioneer BS22 LR, the bookshelf version of the Pioneer speaker you are considering, id say that the Pioneers need a high current amp and lots of power to bring out their best.
This is typical of all of Andrew Jones' designs.

Ive audited the older version of the ELAC Debut bookshelves with a NAD 3020, it's a superior speaker, warmer, more efficient & easier to drive than the Pioneer.

Also consider the Onkyo SKF series floor standers, FM @arunkvivek suggested .
They are a lot of fun, extremely efficient, more bass & dynamics than either the Pioneer or the Elac & can easily fill the room with good sound. They may be less refined than either the Elacs or the Pioneers though.

@Sandesh I have the Pioneer BS22 LR, the bookshelf version of the Pioneer speaker you are considering, id say that the Pioneers need a high current amp and lots of power to bring out their best.

Ive audited the older version of the ELAC Debut bookshelves with a NAD 3020, it's a superior speaker, warmer, more efficient & easier to drive than the Pioneer.

They are a lot of fun, extremely efficient, more bass & dynamics than either the Pioneer or the Elac & can easily fill the room with good sound. They may be less refined than either the Elacs or the Pioneers though.
I'm actually looking for an audiophile kind of speaker. My Sansui 1000j mids are literally non existent. But I will definitely test the Onkyo as you suggest. But currently Quadral and Dali Spektor are kicking my ass!

@Rajeshh they used a 6 oms amp to drive the Pioneers. Will my 8 omh amp make a bigger difference? These are my amps output details
  • Output Power / Channel
    110 Watt, 85 Watt
  • Output Impedance / Channel
    6 Ohm, 8 Ohm
  • Frequency Response
    20 - 20000 Hz
  • Total Harmonic Distortion (THD)
    0.08 %, 0.1 %
  • Channel Type
    center, front, rear
  • Channel Qty
    1, 2
P:S - Also it seems they had to play the speaker at 60 volume to comfortably listen to the music.This is sitting is sitting at a distance of 9 ft. My current Sansuis go upto just 30 volume to provide that kind of sound!

Don't expect Andrew Jones speakers to be efficient. They sing when fed good amount of power.

Out of your mentioned options, I'd pick elac. If you're open to other brands then choices are unlimited. You have q acoustics, Polk, tannoy, etc. With an onkyo amp i would try out q acoustic and tannoy along with elac. Another option is castle acoustic(now closed down i guess). See if you can listen to a pair of castles.

MaSh

Don't expect Andrew Jones speakers to be efficient. They sing when fed good amount of power.

Out of your mentioned options, I'd pick elac. If you're open to other brands then choices are unlimited. You have q acoustics, Polk, tannoy, etc. With an onkyo amp i would try out q acoustic and tannoy along with elac. Another option is castle acoustic(now closed down i guess). See if you can listen to a pair of castles.

MaSh
@MaSh Your opinions about the Dali Spektor 2? I'll definitely try those speakers out. Is there any place I can check them out?

@MaSh Your opinions about the Dali Spektor 2? I'll definitely try those speakers out. Is there any place I can check them out?
Dali spektor, no idea. Castle, you are most welcome to my place in Whitefield. I guess you're in Bangalore too. You could carry your amp, source, cables, etc.

MaSh

I also noticed that after a certain distance (it extended upto 9 ft) the bass was not audible on the Pioneer speaker. But if I moved a bit forward it was audible. The rest of the range was listenable. Do you think this was a technical problem or something else (or the speaker's capacity)?

This may be due to your Listening position was in one of the null caused due to room dimensions & speaker location in the room.. I guess, nothing to blame on the speaker..

I actually managed to demo the Dali Spektor 2 and they seemed to have beaten the Pioneer out of the park.

If you like the Dali & in your budget, then you should consider over others that you have listed..

This may be due to your Listening position was in one of the null caused due to room dimensions & speaker location in the room.. I guess, nothing to blame on the speaker..

If you like the Dali & in your budget, then you should consider over others that you have listed..
Yes I most certainly did along with the Quadral Argentum 520. So far these have been the best. But I must say that the Dali spektor 2 is a lot cheaper (atleast the offer I am getting is 26k) than the Quadrals (around 31k after offer). Also the fact that the Dali's were paired with a Yamaha (55k Rs amp) and was not running through any DACs.

One thing you really need to consider is the distance of the speakers from walls in your room since it is small.
If they will need to be close to walls, see if the dealers are willing to shift their demo speakers to simulate that.
That said, generally speaking, floorstanders need more room around them than do bookshelves.

Plus, do try and audition with AVRs since that is what you are planning to use.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back