Pioneer SP-FS52 Speaker - Still good ?

bobbyndd

Hi guys,

I own Pioneer SP BS 22 bookshelf speakers, planning to upgrade my speakers. I am about to buy a pair of used Pioneer SP-FS52 floor standing speakers. I want to know if these speakers are still good in 2022? or should I buy a newer model? My budget is 65K and Pioneer SP-FS52 Speaker is available for 25K. If I strech my budget and get any of the below speakers will it be a good value for money compared to the pioneer deal?
Q Acoustics 3050i
Wharfdale 12.3
Elac Debut 2.0 F6.2
PSB Alpha T20

Hi guys,

I own Pioneer SP BS 22 bookshelf speakers, planning to upgrade my speakers. I am about to buy a pair of used Pioneer SP-FS52 floor standing speakers. I want to know if these speakers are still good in 2022? or should I buy a newer model? My budget is 65K and Pioneer SP-FS52 Speaker is available for 25K. If I strech my budget and get any of the below speakers will it be a good value for money compared to the pioneer deal?
Q Acoustics 3050i
Wharfdale 12.3
Elac Debut 2.0 F6.2
PSB Alpha T20
Yes they are still rated one of vgood under $1000 speakers.
However if u get any of the list of speakers u've mentioned it will be even better.

U can also consider below:

www.olx.in/item/monitor-audio-gx100-audiophile-bookshelf-speaker-for-sale-iid-1685708760

www.olx.in/item/tannoy-revolution-signature-dc6t-walnut-finish-speaker-pair-iid-1667113830

www.olx.in/item/psb-imagine-x-1t-premium-floor-standing-tower-iid-1646085002

Thanks for the response. I am ok with Elacs. Other speakers I am not familiar with. I will try to audition the speakers available in Bangalore in this list.

Wow. Elated to see this post as I am too in the same boat - to upgrade from Fs52s

I will watch out for the suggestions here.

If you like the sound signature of Pioneer then the similar with improvements will be provided by the elac’s, as I can only imagine reading the reviews and YouTube demos. I have currently elac f5.2 and Dali Oberon 5 in my mind in the same budget.

Wow. Elated to see this post as I am too in the same boat - to upgrade from Fs52s

I will watch out for the suggestions here.

If you like the sound signature of Pioneer then the similar with improvements will be provided by the elac’s, as I can only imagine reading the reviews and YouTube demos. I have currently elac f5.2 and Dali Oberon 5 in my mind in the same budget.
Since you already own Pioneer FS52, I have few questions. I heard that these are power hungry speakers and difficult to drive. My Yamaha amp has 110W output. Can I drive this with my Yahama?
Have you compared them with any other speakers? If yes, how did it fare?

I have the both the chota and bada pairs of the Andrew Jones Pioneers. I dont know if they are good or not since I cant compare it to anything else. have been having them for more than ten years now. Bought it for around 100 dollars a pair when the dollar was around 50-60 :) you are free to drop in for a cup of tea and demo..I live in Vijaynagar area near metro

I have the both the chota and bada pairs of the Andrew Jones Pioneers. I dont know if they are good or not since I cant compare it to anything else. have been having them for more than ten years now. Bought it for around 100 dollars a pair when the dollar was around 50-60 :) you are free to drop in for a cup of tea and demo..I live in Vijaynagar area near metro
Oh wow. Keep them. They scale up with every amp upgrade.

MaSh

Since you already own Pioneer FS52, I have few questions. I heard that these are power hungry speakers and difficult to drive. My Yamaha amp has 110W output. Can I drive this with my Yahama?
Have you compared them with any other speakers? If yes, how did it fare?
It certainly requires at least 100watt per channel. Which Yamaha amp you have? If your amp has true 110 watt output then it will sound optimally.

My experience- My FS52s are 6 years old. First 5 years, I was using a basic Pioneer AVR. I was kind of Okay with that. But last year, I wanted to upgrade and confused whether I should change the AVR or get a new Stereo only system with Int.Amp and Bookselves. After some research, I got an amp & bookshelves (marantz pm6007 + qaccoustic 3030i). Even after 100hours of break-in, I was not very satisfied with the output especially for the money I spent. Hence, I got an used Marantz SR Series AVR from a forum member and that AVR gave me the things I wanted.

Marantz SR6008 outputs 110watt per channel (2 channel driven) according to its specs. While my previous Pioneer AVR was delivering 80wpc according to its specs which I don't think is true. The moment I connected the FS52s with Marantz AVR it started to sound heavenly to my old ears even before running Audyssey. Difference was sparkly highs, solid midrange and a surprising low end which was absolutely missing when connected to Pioneer AVR.

Then I experimented some combinations since I had a dedicated stereo amp and better bookshelves.
FS52s + Marantz PM6007 = Okayish, absolutely not sounded like Marantz SR6008 AVR
QA 3030i + Marantz SR 6008 AVR = Okay, I didn't like the sound signature.

So, I sold off the stereo amp and bookshelves and kept using the fs52s with marantz AVR. And I am very much satisfied.

Please know that I don't have experiences with many brands and combinations, and I am not privileged to audition since I am staying at a state where no such shops exist.

Previously, I thought I would like a warm, laid-back sound which the Pm6007 and QA3030i gave but now I think I like neutral to slightly bright sound, hence I am eyeing the ELAC debut f5.2. I have read and heard from YT demoes that it does exactly like FS52s but better.

It certainly requires at least 100watt per channel. Which Yamaha amp you have? If your amp has true 110 watt output then it will sound optimally.

My experience- My FS52s are 6 years old. First 5 years, I was using a basic Pioneer AVR. I was kind of Okay with that. But last year, I wanted to upgrade and confused whether I should change the AVR or get a new Stereo only system with Int.Amp and Bookselves. After some research, I got an amp & bookshelves (marantz pm6007 + qaccoustic 3030i). Even after 100hours of break-in, I was not very satisfied with the output especially for the money I spent. Hence, I got an used Marantz SR Series AVR from a forum member and that AVR gave me the things I wanted.

Marantz SR6008 outputs 110watt per channel (2 channel driven) according to its specs. While my previous Pioneer AVR was delivering 80wpc according to its specs which I don't think is true. The moment I connected the FS52s with Marantz AVR it started to sound heavenly to my old ears even before running Audyssey. Difference was sparkly highs, solid midrange and a surprising low end which was absolutely missing when connected to Pioneer AVR.

Then I experimented some combinations since I had a dedicated stereo amp and better bookshelves.
FS52s + Marantz PM6007 = Okayish, absolutely not sounded like Marantz SR6008 AVR

So, I sold off the stereo amp and bookshelves and kept using the fs52s with marantz AVR. And I am very much satisfied.

Please know that I don't have experiences with many brands and combinations, and I am not privileged to audition since I am staying at a state where no such shops exist.

Previously, I thought I would like a warm, laid-back sound which the Pm6007 and QA3030i gave but now I think I like neutral to slightly bright sound, hence I am eyeing the ELAC debut f5.2. I have read and heard from YT demoes that it does exactly like FS52s but better.
Thanks for the valuable insights !

My amp is Yamaha R-N602. Yamaha website says its 115 Watts at 8 ohms.

Reading your experience with Marantz PM6007 and FS52, I guess its true that FS52 need more power. Dropping my plans to get new Marantz amp, instead I will go for a decent power amp. I have never heard Q acoustics, not sure if I like their sound signature. Even I am not sure what I like more, I am liking the current Pioneer SP BS22 sound( I like the sound signature of my Audio Technica ATH M50x), hence my decision to buy the tower. Need to audition Elacs.

I am using an FS52 paired with a NAD C320BEE (used only as a power amp) for the last couple of years. I love it! Not sure that the speakers require 'at least 100w per channel'

Couple of things keeping in mind while I am looking for the next upgrade.

Expensive products = better sound quality is not always true :)
Tonal liking is very much subjective so I will go with products which sounds good for my ears :cool:
Inflation is hitting us hard. Speakes which were at 50K two years back is now 1 Lakh:mad:
I was in a dilemma between home theater and music setup, but I decided it will be music
Post this upgrade, I will content. Maybe I will upgrade my CD players that too used one.

Last edited:
Hi Prasad, thanks for your kind invitation. My busy schedules didn't allow me to visit your place. May be I will drop in for the tea since I got the speakers:)

Last edited:
Hi everyone, appreciate your valuable insights on this thread. I have purchased Q Acoustics 3050i.

Last edited:

I also have pioneer fs52. Now I want to upgrade my Yamaha RxV481 and ordered Denon 4700H. After reading your post I am eagerly waiting

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back