Elac Debut Series B5 OR B6

As i read through the comments, one thing is evident B6 can confidently play lows without a need for a subwoofer, but how much? can it actively replace a subwoofer? I don't think so.

So if you're planning for a subwoofer, go for B5 and if you can't but you need the lows for now go for B6.

When are you planning to buy?
I bought the amplifier today. Just heading home now with it. Elac speakers were not available with the dealer. Expected next week, so by next week I hope I should get the speakers.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

As i read through the comments, one thing is evident B6 can confidently play lows without a need for a subwoofer, but how much? can it actively replace a subwoofer? I don't think so.

So if you're planning for a subwoofer, go for B5 and if you can't but you need the lows for now go for B6.
The amplifier does not support a 2.1 configuration. And had an audition with Dali Zensar 3, definitely I felt the need for more bass.

For Music, Sub is not needed. However, for movies with really heavy low end, like Mad Max, etc. a Sub would be a good to have with a B6. B6 would benefit further if driven off a Stereo integrated or a power amp.

The amplifier does not support a 2.1 configuration. And had an audition with Dali Zensar 3, definitely I felt the need for more bass.

Yes bass wise, Z3 might have comparable bass, however, when I heard them I found the highs a bit more extended compared to the B6. So if you have an option, Audition both in the same room. I could not do that, so I am not sure how the B6 would perform have performed in the same room where the Z3 were.

MaSh

Hi all....

The difference between the b5 & b6 is just 2 Hz. Let's not make up too much between the 5.25 inch and 6 inch mid/bass driver between the two. There is not much in music below 40 Hz, except a few genres there. And for movie performance both would need a sub woofer to plumb deeper sonics than even the B6 can muster. So saying that a B6 is superior is all pants to me. And let me reiterate the fact , that Andrew Jones only researched and spent all his time and designed the B5. The B6 is just a exaggerated version of the same. And to the point of being rude, it's mid range is all pants compared with the B5:s. So please stop suggesting that having a larger driver makes a box superior. I would encourage folks to enjoy what they have and not criticise ever...

Hi all....

The difference between the b5 & b6 is just 2 Hz. Let's not make up too much between the 5.25 inch and 6 inch mid/bass driver between the two. There is not much in music below 40 Hz, except a few genres there. And for movie performance both would need a sub woofer to plumb deeper sonics than even the B6 can muster. So saying that a B6 is superior is all pants to me. And let me reiterate the fact , that Andrew Jones only researched and spent all his time and designed the B5. The B6 is just a exaggerated version of the same. And to the point of being rude, it's mid range is all pants compared with the B5:s. So please stop suggesting that having a larger driver makes a box superior. I would encourage folks to enjoy what they have and not criticise ever...

That is great comparison. Thank You. Could you please let us know where you were able to compare the two?

MaSh

Benz, bass in B5 is deep enough that you wont need sub for music listening. Ofcourse that depends on the genre you are fond of.

In case you need to place your speakers near to wall, close the port with socks. as andrew himself said in avsforum to avoid boomy-ness.

Benz, bass in B5 is deep enough that you wont need sub for music listening. Ofcourse that depends on the genre you are fond of.

In case you need to place your speakers near to wall, close the port with socks. as andrew himself said in avsforum to avoid boomy-ness.

If you close the port and raise the volume, it damages the speakers due to the fact that the excursion need space to push the air out.

Please share the link where Andrew Jones said the same..

Last edited:

I believe he said that on a lighter note when all other options to correct the room have failed. I think he meant it as the very last avoidable option.

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

^^^
Oh am not aware of damaging speakers using a port plug or some sock. That i would not do.

Sorry i could not locate the exact post by Jones. May be i read or heard him say - that is no excuse for me to say authoritatively. But something he talks about close to wall http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...nter-speaker-how-close-wall.html#post35685578.

This came up on google 'Mr Jones has Suggested literally" putting a sock in it' here at this link https://www.head-fi.org/threads/elac-debut-series-speakers-by-andrew-jones.784905/#post-12111146

Hello everyone, goodmorning !

Finally I got home Elac Debut B5.

We were lucky to get an audition of both B5 and B6 at the place, using my marantz amp.

We started with B5 and liked it immediately. Played all types of music from classic rock, A R Rehman, blues, ghazals, contemporary Bollywood.

All of it fared pretty well, and for classic Rock I had to increase the volume a bit to get the punch. We were pretty satisfied with B5.

Now we listened to the same music using B6. Somehow the vocals and mids were pretty much clearer on B5.

Yes the base was better in B6, but we decided to go for B5 as for us there was nothing that lacked in B5 as such and were more happy with the clarity of the music in B5.

Attaching just one pic for now. I will post detailed review with images later.

Thanks again everyone of the forum for the valuable inputs and thus I am able to listen to good sound.

For now the speakers have been placed temporary, until I get the proper setup to place them.

e8d90b00b6e48578d46fd61c63d1db43.jpg

05c42e6d418cea6e83a803ba8f866f76.jpg

Last edited:

We were lucky to get an audition of both B5 and B6 at the place, using my marantz amp.

We started with B5 and liked it immediately. Played all types of music from classic rock, A R Rehman, blues, ghazals, contemporary Bollywood.

All of it fared pretty well, and for classic Rock I had to increase the volume a bit to get the punch. We were pretty satisfied with B5.

Now we listened to the same music using B6. Somehow the vocals and mids were pretty much clearer on B5.

Yes the base was better in B6, but we decided to go for B5 as for us there was nothing that lacked in B5 as such and were more happy with the clarity of the music in B5.

Thanks again everyone of the forum for the valuable inputs and thus I am able to listen to good sound.

For now the speakers have been placed temporary, until I get the proper setup to place them.

Congrats on your purchase.
Let us know the review after break-in period
Happy listening [emoji106]

[emoji41]

Last edited:
Congrats on your new B5 purchase. For sure, you will have a great audio experience!

Give at least 1 feet space from the wall for the speaker as the rear port needs space to push the air out. The more the space, the hearing experience will be great!

Congrats on your purchase. What is the source that you used for playing music with PM5005?

Thanks everyone.

@sriram_shol yes have placed the speakers pretty far away from the rear wall, more than a feet away.

@mpw
yes I am in lookout for speaker stands too, for now have placed on stools which were laying at home.

@sunand777 I am using FLAC files to play music streaming it from Raspberry pi 3 and connected with Allo Boss Dac.

The software to play I am still experimenting, tried Volumio, RuneAudio and now trying out Max2Play.

Max2Play has Kodi to watch videos as well as music (but I am not able to get sound output through Dac when using Kodi)

Using Squeeze box in Max2Play the Dac works tough.

So this part I am still working out, which distro to use for Rpi.

Hi all,
This post is not in response to the query by original poster, however I am taking liberty of posting my experience reg Elac B6 here... (I hope OP /Mods don't mind)

Here are my "short notes" of audition of Elac F5 and B6 at Ooberpad (Andheri, Chakala, Mumbai).

Stereo amp wasn't available so it was connected thru Denon 1400 AVR... sound was good considering "AVR standard", but not good from "stereo amp standard". I am quite sure that these speakers would sound much better with better amp.

The bass was terrific in both speakers even by stereo amp standard. It was pretty clear that despite being an AVR, the Denon 1400 had good control over woofers... There was no "woolly/sloppy" bass. It wasn't Krell /Bryston type of tight bass but was "way more than good enough", for a Rs 50k amp.

As expected... F5 floorstanding spkr could go very loud without distortion, B6 standmount sounded strained on very loud levels. (I had played a dense symphony passage, loudly on both.) But B6 were musically better than F5 in resolving details, texture, and natural sound.

Considering quality of sound, their prices are surprisingly low... F5 floorstanding pair for 49k approx and B6 standmount pair for 29k approx.

Special thanks to Ramesh of Ooberpad for patience to respond to my umpteen queries and hospitality.

Regards,

Last edited:

You can use the speaker level inputs on your subwoofer to connect the amplifier to the subwoofer even though you don't have a subwoofer out on the amp itself.

Connecting a subwoofer to the line level inputs works better for music since the amps timing and audio characteristics get transmitted to the speaker as well.

Which subwoofer are you using?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back