Elac Uni-fi 2.0 UB 52 vs Quad S2

Venkyrenga

I am looking to upgrade my elac debut b6.2 speakers. I am using Marantz pm7000n as amp and Q acoustics 3060s sub. My room size is 11*12 ft.

Which of the above mentioned speakers you think would be better? My speakers will be placed no more than a feet from the wall. I am not sure if my 60w/ch amp is good enough for the triple driver Elac Uni-fi. I mostly listen to film soundtracks and western classical.

Any help is highly appreciated.

I am looking to upgrade my elac debut b6.2 speakers. I am using Marantz pm7000n as amp and Q acoustics 3060s sub. My room size is 11*12 ft.

Which of the above mentioned speakers you think would be better? My speakers will be placed no more than a feet from the wall. I am not sure if my 60w/ch amp is good enough for the triple driver Elac Uni-fi. I mostly listen to film soundtracks and western classical.

Hi,
This speaker sensitivity is 85db only, it require more power to drive to get full out put,
Before purchase if possible check audition .

Quad S2 will be better choice. However do consider wharfedale Evo 4.1 and 4.2. Evo series of Wharfedale is an excellent range that produces very good mids that are essential for your kind of listening. 60W per channel is a good enough amp, check the specs and see what is the minimum amplifier power required to drive a particular speaker. Wharfedales are easy to drive speakers.

Quad S2 will be better choice. However do consider wharfedale Evo 4.1 and 4.2. Evo series of Wharfedale is an excellent range that produces very good mids that are essential for your kind of listening. 60W per channel is a good enough amp, check the specs and see what is the minimum amplifier power required to drive a particular speaker. Wharfedales are easy to drive speakers.
Can you explain why the Quad S2 is a better choice.

Also I heard that Evo 4.1 is not suitable for small rooms especially when placed close to the front wall. Btw my room has acoustic panels at first reflection points and bass traps.

Last edited:

if it is a nearfield listening, the elacs would have better coherence, simply because of its co-axial driver. Even for midfield listening, it will be better. I guess Quad S2 is bit bright. It's better to audition before taking the call. Also check out fyne audio f500s.

if it is a nearfield listening, the elacs would have better coherence, simply because of its co-axial driver. Even for midfield listening, it will be better. I guess Quad S2 is bit bright. It's better to audition before taking the call. Also check out fyne audio f500s.
My listening position is about 6 ft from both the speakers. Also I am in Chennai and do not have the luxury of auditioning these speakers.

How do Q acoustics 5020 and concept 30 compare with the speakers mentioned here?
I have the concept 20 and an ATC. It is not in the same league!

Wharfedale evo is one of the worst speakers I have ever heard. The 4.2 is ear searingly bright.

There is only one good wharfedale speaker currently available and that is the Linton.

The Quad S2s are very good speakers if you like the kind of sound they produce - their imaging and soundstage stands out and the midrange is very different from most other traditional bookshelves I have but it's presentation has its own charm - I've dropped many a well heeled jaw with my Quad S5s.

The Wharfedale Evo 4.2 is an exceptional speaker for certain genres of music like jazz, classical, orchestral etc. It can sound better than contenders far exceeding is price tag in these categories but requires tremendous care regarding placement and positioning which most aren't capable of.

One of the easiest speakers to setup would be ones with coaxial drivers such as the KEF LS50 Meta.

A great contender for an exciting presentation with a sweet treble and exceptional soundstage and imaging would be the Definitive Technology D11s. Their mid range is not the most nuanced but its redeeming qualities far outweighs its weaknesses to deliver quite the engaging performance.

For exceptional mid range performance with a non offensive but detailed treble and tight punchy textured bass, the Dynaudio Excite X14s are excellent contenders but their dynamics are a little blunted.

Can you guys tell me some Elac dealers who can ship to Chennai? The UB52 seems to be out of stock in Hifi Mart and ProHiFi.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back