Emotiva amplifiers|DACT

keith_correa

Guys, does anyone have the Emotiva RPA-2/XPA-2 in their equipment?

How do these HIGHLY RATED amps sound?

Any comparisons with other amps in the same price range would be welcome.

Also, if folks who possess these or other Emotiva amp's post responses - can you please mention:
  • The genre of music you listen to
  • The partnering equipment
  • Price paid for the amp

Just for the record, I mainly listen to rock, metal and country. My father listens to a lot of western classical but he can go buy his own amp./equipment :D

I would also be very interested in opinions about products from: DACT - Danish Audio ConnecT. Check them out.

Last edited:
I have the LPA -1. Highly regarded for its value.

The XPA 2 is a monster in terms of power.
Detailed reviews by audioholics etc. are up on their website. Apart from that AVS might have some useful information.

Hi guys,
Is Emotiva available in India? I thought Emotiva sells in the US only thru online. Are you then talking about Emotiva amps brought into the country from the US?

They have great reviews from experts and users. I remember marsilians wrote in one of the threads that he either used to have them or still has them.

Hi guys,
Is Emotiva available in India? I thought Emotiva sells in the US only thru online. Are you then talking about Emotiva amps brought into the country from the US?

They have great reviews from experts and users. I remember marsilians wrote in one of the threads that he either used to have them or still has them.

Thanks Asit for pointing out a mistake in my post - "Where you bought the amp from". It slipped my mind that Emotiva only sells online - that's how they keep costs down.
No, they would not be available in India - you order on the website and they ship it out from China.
I'm not talking specifically about Emotiva amps brought into the country from the US because actually I couldn't care less about the country people brought it in from - just as long as it is Emotiva :)

I heard the emotiva amplifiers at this last year's Rocky Mountain audio fest.

They were set up with speakers from Bramberg Audio.
Overall very nice sound, pleasing asthetics..extreme VFM

My brother lives in the US and has the XPA-3/XPA-2 combo biamped to drive his Totem Forest speakers. From his review, he uses the XPA-2 for the L/R and XPA-3 for the C/SL/SR. They drive the speakers very easily and can even drive impedences to 2 ohms or 1 sometimes (though Emo does not publish this anywhere).

He thinks the XPA-2 is in a different league than the 3 or 5 in the way its soundstage is laid out. From reading on their forum sometime ago this thought was similar to other users of the XPA-5/3 who moved to XPA-2.

One thing, as with almost all growing amp manufacturers there are some issues occasionally with the amps that require returns. Its free shipping one way but for us in India this could prove very very expensive.

Very well received amps and Lonnie/Dann are great guys to speak to re: the technicalities.

Thanks Asit for pointing out a mistake in my post - "Where you bought the amp from". It slipped my mind that Emotiva only sells online - that's how they keep costs down.
No, they would not be available in India - you order on the website and they ship it out from China.
I'm not talking specifically about Emotiva amps brought into the country from the US because actually I couldn't care less about the country people brought it in from - just as long as it is Emotiva :)

Hi guys,
For those of you that bought the amp in the US and shipped to India/got someone to bring it back with them when they were returning from the States, how much did shipping/customs to India cost you over and above the cost of the amp? Thanks! I'm looking at the XPA-5, but I'm assuming the costs would be around the same for all the XPA series amps.

Hi guys,
For those of you that bought the amp in the US and shipped to India/got someone to bring it back with them when they were returning from the States, how much did shipping/customs to India cost you over and above the cost of the amp? Thanks! I'm looking at the XPA-5, but I'm assuming the costs would be around the same for all the XPA series amps.

I had an XPA-5 while in the US. I did not bring it back. I don't think given its weight of 70lbs its worth shipping as no one might be offering to get it to you given the limitations on luggage weights in the flights now. I think the total weight when packed is a bit above 80 lbs. Its going to cost you almost double if shipped and will not be a good VFM as you might get comparable amps within India for that kind of budget.

Damn it...
The trouble is I haven't found a great 5 channel amp in anywhere close to that price range in India (I have Magnepans, which are extremely inefficient and therefore need lots of current handling). Any ideas, people? I want to stay under 50K.

On that note, does anyone have any ideas on those 5 channel amps made in Bangalore? Starck or Star or something...Rajesh is the person's name if I'm not mistaken.
Pricing/power of the amp etc? Any users?

The trouble is I haven't found a great 5 channel amp in anywhere close to that price range in India (I have Magnepans, which are extremely inefficient and therefore need lots of current handling). Any ideas, people? I want to stay under 50K.

This is a tough call Abhijit. Multi channel power amplifiers are expensive.

Why don't you look for used amplifiers? Another option is to look at some Indian companies or DIYers who would be ready to build an amplifier for you.

I remember reading in this forum about some gentleman in Bangalore who had offered to build high quality amplifiers. He is on leave now (somewhere in Ooty or Kody), and said he will be active when he returns.

Cheers

Damn it...

I remember the maggie's, they are definitely hungry. I would second Venkat's suggestion to look for used amplifier esp. the SS ones. These hold on for 10-15 yrs and some more.

If you can up your budget there are amplifiers that do not weigh that much. For instance some of the older parasounds, rotels, adcom, acurus (just to name a few) are not that heavy.

Side note : I have sent you a PM on another option...

Last edited:
Thanks, guys.

Yes, I do realise the constraints of getting something in the price range I was thinking of. In any case, I don't even have a surround setup right now, was just planning it as a future-proof upgrade.

As I mentioned in the PM to marsilians, an alternative I was thinking of was getting Bryston monoblocks (supposed to be the best for Magnepan, anyway..that's what they use to test their speakers) and stacking them.

This will have to wait until I buy a Rega P3, though. For anyone else looking to buy one, they're going dirt cheap on Ebay UK (200 GBP-ish) right now. It's a no-brainer, especially with the exchange rate where it is now!

For anyone else looking to buy one, they're going dirt cheap on Ebay UK (200 GBP-ish) right now. It's a no-brainer, especially with the exchange rate where it is now!

Never ordered stuff from Ebay. Do they ship to India and all items/some items if not ordering from Ebay India?

Some people will be willing to ship, but its very expensive. You can ship it to someone in the UK and they can get it back when they come (this works for something light like the P3, but obviously not for an Emotiva amp!)

The outlaws are excellent monoblocks. They offer great soundstage and dynamics for music and HT. Worth looking at.

Another options taht might make shipping easier is to go with pro-audio amps such as Crown or QSC. I have installed an XTI1000 & QSC 2420. These offer some of the best VFM and beat many HT amps at their price point. They are small and light compared to HT amps.

Only thing you may ahve to do is disable the internal fans (5 mins job) and use a plastic one in the AV cabinet to help keep them cool. They offer excellent dynamics for near field listening too.

Also, apologies for the brain freeze...I meant Outlaw 2200s for $ 200 each, not Brystons!

The outlaws are excellent monoblocks. They offer great soundstage and dynamics for music and HT. Worth looking at.

Another options taht might make shipping easier is to go with pro-audio amps such as Crown or QSC. I have installed an XTI1000 & QSC 2420. These offer some of the best VFM and beat many HT amps at their price point. They are small and light compared to HT amps.

Only thing you may ahve to do is disable the internal fans (5 mins job) and use a plastic one in the AV cabinet to help keep them cool. They offer excellent dynamics for near field listening too.

If you VFM and enough power i second the pro audio amps route.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back