emotiva amplifiers???

last time I emailed them, they said they would deliver it to India. shipping alone for XPA5/ XPA2 was quoted at ~$750 so I gave up the idea. A pair of XPA1 can be much more powerful.

do anybody know where can i find emotiva amplifiers in india i want there xpa-3 model:)

Emotiva is an internet based retailer and they do not have an outlet anywhere that I'm aware of. They apparently offer a very good VFM throughout their product line. However you'd have to consider this option carefully as their products are pretty heavy and the shipping would be quite exorbitant, not to mention the added customs duty...

Emotiva is an internet based retailer and they do not have an outlet anywhere that I'm aware of. They apparently offer a very good VFM throughout their product line. However you'd have to consider this option carefully as their products are pretty heavy and the shipping would be quite exorbitant, not to mention the added customs duty...

Emotiva is an excellent amp manufacturers though they have growing pains as many others have gone through in the past. Please search on this forum for an earlier discussion. I have used the XPA 5 before and thought it was really good for HT but not so much for music - did not have the finesse of say a Parasound or Adcom but excellent value product.

2 caveats :

shipping cost to India is super expensive.
There are some break downs and shipping back and getting back is going to cost you as much as getting another brand altogether.

If you purchased one today the XPA-2 is a better build (quality and performance) since its built differently than the 3 or 5. The monoblocks are too new to rate.

Emotiva is an excellent amp manufacturers though they have growing pains as many others have gone through in the past. Please search on this forum for an earlier discussion. I have used the XPA 5 before and thought it was really good for HT but not so much for music - did not have the finesse of say a Parasound or Adcom but excellent value product.

2 caveats :

shipping cost to India is super expensive.
There are some break downs and shipping back and getting back is going to cost you as much as getting another brand altogether.

If you purchased one today the XPA-2 is a better build (quality and performance) since its built differently than the 3 or 5. The monoblocks are too new to rate.

so guys any other suggestion for power amplifiers i have to use it for my polk tsi 400 which has 200 watts power and gonna use the amplifiers with onkyo 706 receiver

If you tell them its an international order they will test it thoroughly before shipping so that you dont send it back etc.

Emotiva Audio UPA-2 Two Channel Power Amplifier

This might be of interest not to heavy, cheap, should be better than the two main channels of an av receiver.

Transportation takes a heavy toll on solid state components. FedEx (their preferred shipper) is notorious for mishandling loads. Google for fedex issues.

Also in case it craps within the 5 yrs, the cost to ship back is not worth it.

Stick to used ones or get an integrated for cheap.

you can try NAD c272 or c372 (integrated) for 150w x 2.
smedhavi in this forum owns 372 and has a high opinion. What speakers do you have?

so guys any other suggestion for power amplifiers i have to use it for my polk tsi 400 which has 200 watts power and gonna use the amplifiers with onkyo 706 receiver

Why are you looking at a 200 wpc amplifier? Is it because your speakers are rated at 200 Watts?

This is not how one should determine the power requirement of the amp. In addition, I looked up the specs of those TSI speakers you mention, they have 8 Ohm impedance and 91 db sensitivity. If the speaker impedance does not have any bad dips, those speakers should be very easy loads, and would be driven easily to deafening loudness by an amp with one tenth the power you are looking for.

The power ratings given for speakers are sort of a safety rating (that is, you should not put more power than the rated one, otherwise the speakers will get damaged). That is no way a necessary requirement you have to fulfill. This issue has been discussed in this forum.

On the other hand, if for some other reason you need the 200 wpc amp, then that's okay. For most household purposes, with solid state amps, 100wpc is more than enough with a brand that is known to rate their equipments truthfully and conservatively. This also has recently been discussed in detail.

This might be helpful for you to compute the power you need.

Amplifier Power Required Calculator

What is a safe dB level for music listening for ears, and for saving yourself from neighbors?

This calculator doesn't talk about a frequency? My understanding (could be a misunderstanding as well) is that lower frequency reproduction require more power than high frequency. So should frequency also be a variable in the equation?

regards

Last edited:
Why are you looking at a 200 wpc amplifier? Is it because your speakers are rated at 200 Watts?

This is not how one should determine the power requirement of the amp. In addition, I looked up the specs of those TSI speakers you mention, they have 8 Ohm impedance and 91 db sensitivity. If the speaker impedance does not have any bad dips, those speakers should be very easy loads, and would be driven easily to deafening loudness by an amp with one tenth the power you are looking for.

The power ratings given for speakers are sort of a safety rating (that is, you should not put more power than the rated one, otherwise the speakers will get damaged). That is no way a necessary requirement you have to fulfill. This issue has been discussed in this forum.

On the other hand, if for some other reason you need the 200 wpc amp, then that's okay. For most household purposes, with solid state amps, 100wpc is more than enough with a brand that is known to rate their equipments truthfully and conservatively. This also has recently been discussed in detail.

so then i'm stick with my 100 watts / ch onkyo 705 receiver right

I think it is a JBL group company. Take a demo and post your comments back. Maybe it can help everyone out here to get a good high power amp for cheap.

regards

I think it is a JBL group company. Take a demo and post your comments back. Maybe it can help everyone out here to get a good high power amp for cheap.

regards
demo is impossible though because its not where i live its in other city

so just want some knowledge can it match with onkyo 705 receiver

so onkyo 705 with 100 watts/ch is enough for me my polk tsi 400 floorstanders is 200 watts,polk cs20 centre is 150 watts,4 polk surrounds tsi 200 is 150 watts max

so onkyo 705 with 100 watts/ch is enough for me my polk tsi 400 floorstanders is 200 watts,polk cs20 centre is 150 watts,4 polk surrounds tsi 200 is 150 watts max

Manu, I am little concerned with your term 'I am stuck'. I think Asit has explained the need for power quite well. I wonder why are you looking for more power. And the Onkyo 705 is an able AVR.

Speaker specifications usually have a range such as 30 watts to 200 watts. To out it in a crude manner, 30 watts in the minimum power at which the speakers will wake up. 200 watts is the power at which the speaker will literally explode. This is the maximum power that the speakers can handle.

The Onkyo 705 has more than enough power to drive your speakers. Remember that the Onkyo has 7 channels of 100 watts each. So it's total power is close to 700 watts. In a movie, the bulk of the signals are sent to the Front L&R and to the Centre channel. In addition, your sub has a amplifier if its own and adds to the power of the AVR.

If you are using a 5.1 set up, you can bi-amp the Front L&R speakers with the power of the Rear L&R channels from your AVR. This way you will be pumping nearly 150 watts per channels to the Front L&R speakers. Believe me, you will NEVER need more power than this unless you want to go deaf in a few weeks.

As has been mentioned many times, the sane levels to listen to is 65-70dB at one meter from you speakers. On a good amp/speaker combination, this is never more than 50 watts per channel.

Why are you looking for more power?

Cheers

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back