Enbee amplifier

pksnathan

Friends,

While browsing the net I came across Enbee amplifiers and speakers which have received rave reviews.Is it still in business?It does not seem to have a web site.

Thanking you

pksnathan

They were around in the 70's I think. Don't see them anymore. However things have progressed a lot since then !

Apparently Mr.Nakra in Delhi made these units. Going by the following article Mr.Nakra should be 87 years old today.

The sound of music | Business Standard News

May not be a good idea to buy something very old as getting it fixed would be a problem. Many of today's products should be as good as or better than those products from long ago. Unless you want to buy it for nostalgic reasons.

They were around in the 70's I think. Don't see them anymore. However things have progressed a lot since then !

Apparently Mr.Nakra in Delhi made these units. Going by the following article Mr.Nakra should be 87 years old today.

The sound of music | Business Standard News

May not be a good idea to buy something very old as getting it fixed would be a problem. Many of today's products should be as good as or better than those products from long ago. Unless you want to buy it for nostalgic reasons.

Thank you for the information.

Regards,

pksnathan

I think Mr. Nakra is no more in business...He used to have his setup in Shankar Market near CP in Delhi. I have heard his amps and speakers and they are pretty good. Great value for money...

Hello there....
I am someone who has owned an all Enbee setup for the past 6 odd years. I have the enbee sentinel speakers, with a z80 power amplifier and a z1 pre amplifier. I also have an enbee tape deck which Mr Nakra made using a Nakamichi head. I use the tape deck, a Marantz CD player and a technics TT as sources.

What can I say? These speakers and amplifiers are very good, with a smooth and non fatiguing sound. Great value for money, these! Unfortunately, Mr Nakra stopped making audio systems a few years back. The last I met him, which was around 5 years back, he still ran a small service setup from his house to service his products. He was in his eighties then; not sure if he still runs the service centre.

Over the years, I have tried listening to various setups to figure out how much I need to spend to get something better. In my opinion, these do as good as, if not better than most 1 lakh (Rs) setups (50 k for speakers, 50 k for amps) that I have heard. I know a gentleman in Delhi who has owned an enbee setup for over 30 years, and has no inclination to upgrade. Another gentleman in Jaipur has owned a setup for over 10 years. I have had no problems at all with my setup over the past 6 years. However, since I do not have a place to repair my system in case any problem crops up, I would hesitate to recommend a buy for this reason. If you are technically competent to service or carry out minor repairs, or have access to a competent technician, I will certainly recommend enbee (with the usual caveats of course). You must keep in mind though that any enbee product that you buy will be at least 6-7 years old - Mine was pretty much from the last set that he made, though as I mentioned before, people have used these for many years without any issues.

Best,
APK

Last edited:
Hello apk:

If possible, can you post pics of the pre/amp and the speakers (grilles off too!). Would love to see what these look like.

Hello apk:

If possible, can you post pics of the pre/amp and the speakers (grilles off too!). Would love to see what these look like.

Hi Keith_correa,
Am away from home for a couple of weeks - so don't have photographs of my setup with me now. Will post pics once I get back.

Best,
APK

I too recollect Enbee from the early 70s when choices were limited to Cosmic and Arphi. Nakra Brothers(Enbee) had a great reputation for swadeshi gear, when we couldnt get stuff from overseas very easily, and the technology was transitioning from vacuum tubes to solid state. I never heard them though.

Hello friends. My name is Varun Badola. New to this forum and this is my first post. Read someone enquiring about the enbee so just wanted to inform that I bought one 3 days back in a very good condition from a gentleman in Pune. There are a few available in Delhi I suppose. Though I live in Mumbai and there are not very many people who service these pieces. With a few problems here and there it still is a great buy. Speakers in a very good condition. AND for the price, it is an absolute steel. There is one Mr. Bansal who owns Lazer electronic in Andheri East who services these old amps. If anyone knows of a few others then please post.

Hello friends. My name is Varun Badola. New to this forum and this is my first post. Read someone enquiring about the enbee so just wanted to inform that I bought one 3 days back in a very good condition from a gentleman in Pune. There are a few available in Delhi I suppose. Though I live in Mumbai and there are not very many people who service these pieces. With a few problems here and there it still is a great buy. Speakers in a very good condition. AND for the price, it is an absolute steel. There is one Mr. Bansal who owns Lazer electronic in Andheri East who services these old amps. If anyone knows of a few others then please post.

Hi Varun,
can u please post the contact of the person in delhi who wish to sell his enbee amp, as i am interested in buying the same.

Thanks...

Hi Varun,
can u please post the contact of the person in delhi who wish to sell his enbee amp, as i am interested in buying the same.

Thanks...
There was one available in shahpur jat. It is in the outskirts of Delhi. Though I must confess that the site did not look too good and the price was high. A few ads are seen on Quiker too. Though a lot of my friends owned them. Let me see if they are ready to part with them.

Friends if I were to use my ENBEE floor standers in my home theatre setup, what centre speaker should I use? Is there anyone in this group who has tried this? If yes then whatever information you pass on would be of great help. Thanks a lot.

If you are using an AVR for the home theater, you could try the phantom center channel option - without actually buying a center channel. Though I don't have a home theater setup, I have often watched movies using just my Enbee speakers (Front Left & Right) and stereo amplifiers - and I have been very happy with the effect.

Best,
APK.

P.S - If you are inclined to go down the path of getting a center channel, see if you can pick up a used pair of enbee speakers from somewhere for cheap. You can use one of them as the center channel, and keep the other as a spare

Hello gentlemen,
I am reviving this thread to seek help on my ENBEE preamp's phono stage. I believe that there are a lot of ENBEE users here in this forum. My ZX1 preamp produces a lot of hum and hiss when switched to phono. It does so even if the record deck is not connected to the preamp. Could anyone guide me what to look for? Even the MC MM cartridge switch makes a noise if touched.
Thanks a lot
Varun

Guys,
I am not tech savvy, so I do not know how to start a new thread. But please spread this news around, India''s first hifi guru MR. Nishi Nakra is no more.

Hello Everyone, I'm very late on this post, but RIP Nishi Nakra. I've had Enbee systems since 1993!. All working absolutely fine. He used to be my neighbour.

I wanted to ask, is anyone interested in selling their Enbee system?

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back